Nooooooooooooooooo!

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
My poor wife, trying her best to indulge a flashaholic, required a flashlight the other day. She went straight to the office and grabbed the big one on charge, the FM2D. She's been on the business end of this one before and knows it will be ideal for chasing off the darkness whilst searching her car for a favourite c.d.

Not two steps outside the door she drops the aforementioned prized possession of mine onto the concrete. :eek:

As any decent flashaholic will tell you, the first question that goes through your mind is, "Is it damaged?" followed by "Does it still work?" then, "Will she be missed?" and finally, "Who will feed me if she goes?"

First inspection revealed that the damage was minimal to say the least. The impact point was obviously at the rear cap. There was also a slight knock on the edge of the bezel and a mark where it had finished resting on the fins. Considering the height of the fall and the forward motion, I would have expected more cosmetic heartache but in my opinion, the famous FMHAIII finish did the job. No scratches at all where it rolled across the concrete and I had to use a harsh direct flash to really show what was there. There were no cracks in the glass but the bulb looked off centre in the KIU holder.

A cautious click had no result. I realigned the bulb, retightened the 8x14500 holder and she fired up like a good 'un. These Fivemega M*gs are far more robust than I had originally believed.

Lastly, she cooks, she cleans and she looks after the children. She makes sure I get off to work fed and looking good. She even walks the dogs. After 25 years I really would miss that Roast Lamb and the way she does the roasted potatoes crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle.

I keep telling myself, "It's only a flashlight…"

CPF1.jpg

CPF2.jpg

CPF3.jpg

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:awman: Ouch! But be good to your wife. You may find yourself in the same situation only reversed and would appreciate her quick forgiveness!

Last edited:

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Your light now has its own "character" mark. Someday you may look back on this event and laugh...but obviously not today. :awman:

My girlfriend knows how much my lights mean to me, but I hope she also knows that she is Infinitely more important. Besides, if she damages one of my lights I can always tease her about it later.:laughing: :laughing:

I am sorry for your loss but No light is worth the cost of harmony in my home. Buy your wife some flowers and thank her for being so understanding about your flashlight additction.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep telling myself, "It's only a flashlight…"

I like my stuff, and I like it pristine, too, but your advice to yourself ^^^ is clearly the best advice you can get. A light is just a light...wives, husbands, kids, parents...they're forever...

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you need help wioth the shovel.. let me know :lolsign:

These things happen. Just like a car with a knick :)

Easy for me to say as "knock on wood" I haven't had this happen to me yet

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
And this is what my family used to look like before my wife got hold of it! The big one now has flaws and I won't let it sit with the others.

Actually, my wife has decided she now owns the 2D and keeps it in the kitchen. Must be how she crisps up those potatoes?
CPF4.jpg

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel for ya Flash,

My Lovely Wife has butter fingers. She manages to drop lots of my gear. So I have 3 dedicated flashlights for her (and they double as loaners), a G2 w/BOG 3W LED in her nightstand, E1e on my dresser, and a Minimag w/Opalec module. All with her special "character" marks. I have finally convinced her to use the lanyards after 2 cameras and 1 walkie talkie have died in service.

BTW she now packs her Arc AAA-P when she travels without me reminding her! Thats my Girl!!!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Great post! I laughed out loud.

My soon to be wife (In 48 hours! :sweat: ) has a Raw NS with 3 pink trits in her purse, and a Minimag LED by her side of the bed. Out of my whole collection, she chose the mini mag, lol.

Courtney knows that I baby my lights, and she knows that if she dropped one I wouldnt be a happy camper. Who am I kidding? I drop enough lights for the both of us!

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:

My soon to be wife (In 48 hours! :sweat: ) has a Raw NS with 3 pink trits in her purse, and a Minimag LED by her side of the bed. Out of my whole collection, she chose the mini mag, lol.

Courtney knows that I baby my lights, and she knows that if she dropped one I wouldnt be a happy camper. Who am I kidding? I drop enough lights for the both of us!

Congrats, PSM! Our first anniversary is the 18th, so I can still remember how you probably feel. :) And next week I'm in a good friend's wedding. It must be in the air!

Niteowl

Enlightened
Now that it's been "broken in" you can handle it without worrying about the finish. I was horrified when my 9P/KT2 fell out of my truck onto the pavement. Once I determined the glass was intact my eyes fell upon the nicks with some dismay. After a short time I actually felt relief, no longer concerning myself about being careful how I handled it. Like alanagnostic said, now it's got "character". My favorite things have a lot of character, tools, knives, lights, my truck. Even my six year old who knocked out his front teeth at 3/4 years old, now that was tough to handle.....

DM51

Flashaholic
I think you will have to be quite tactful about this. It is highly unlikely that she will appreciate your suggestion that her body is bent out of shape or she needs a new tail, and she certainly won't like you saying her bezel is all scratched up and looks terrible. In my experience, women tend to become highly indignant when told such things and I feel that in the circumstances, whatever your true opinions may be, the wisest course of action may be to remain silent.

Cydonia

Enlightened
DM51 said:
I think you will have to be quite tactful about this. It is highly unlikely that she will appreciate your suggestion that her body is bent out of shape or she needs a new tail, and she certainly won't like you saying her bezel is all scratched up and looks terrible. In my experience, women tend to become highly indignant when told such things and I feel that in the circumstances, whatever your true opinions may be, the wisest course of action may be to remain silent.

Instant classic.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Flash Harry :awman: :ohgeez:

@ PSM Congrats! :naughty:

@ some of the rest of you :laughing: Great thread to start my morning off with.

riffraff

Enlightened
PoliceScannerMan said:

My soon to be wife (In 48 hours! :sweat: ) [...]

Ya know...it's still not too late! :laughing:

*Joking!* Nah, congrats, man!

Q: Why do divorces cost so much?

A: Because they're worth it! :grin2:

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Y'know, if you *DID* give the light to your wife, you'd know she'd have a nice, reliable light, she's already admitted to seeing the light as *hers* now anyway, plus it'd give you an excuse to get another FM light to replace it

everybody wins!

your wife gets a nice, reliable, proven illumination platform, and you get a new light to replace the gifted light

Burgess

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear about your loss . . . .

But, if that's the worst thing she's ever done, that's not too bad !

Special note to PoliceScannerMan:

Best of luck (and health) to you and your new bride !

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This and other threads should serve as a learning lesson for us all. Always make sure your significant other has his or her own flashlight!