• Inova T2

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Other, please specify.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
What would you suggest?

Looking for a nice, compact little light, with little sidespill but still outputing a good deal of light.

From looking at the specs that I have found, the T2 is slightly brighter at about 40 Lumens, whereas the XO is only 32 Lumens. They both offer constant on/off & momentary with the T2 offering a lock-out function as well.

On the face of it, the T2 sounds better, their retail price is about the same, so which would you suggest? Or would you suggest an alternative?

Please bear in mind that both of these lights are pushing the upper limit of my meagre budget (don't wanna spend more than £40).

[edit]
P.S. Anyone got any beam shots of either, I can't seem to find any anywhere.
[/edit]

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a tight beam with little or no sidespill, you want the X02, not the newer X0. They changed the X0 in the last model change. But you better hurry and get one, Inova has changed once again and I understand the Tiros optics which gives it that throw with little spill is gone.

Pick one up while you can. I personally like the X series over the T, but both are nice.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova has confused people by making big changes in some of their lights without changing the model numbers. I think they will be changing the T2.

I have the T1, T4, XO2, X5, and X1 and prize them highly, except for the X1.

If you mean the XO2 (instead of XO), I would prefer the Tiros model T2 over the Tiros XO2. They are both about the same size, use the same batteries, and have the same optics.

Thought they are both built rugged, there are 2 aspects of the T series I prefer to the X series which make the T series easier to use:

(1) The T series have a marvelous pushbutton tail switch with momentary contact. It is quite different than the arrangement in the X series. The T series switch physically latches when you depress it all the way down so it keeps the light on. On the X series, you must twist the tailcap to lock the light on.

(2) The checkered pattern along the outside of the T series makes them much easier to grip than the smoother X series. I have covered my X series lights with a section of bicycle inner tube to increase their "grippieness."

Being able to firmly grip the flashlight is important for flashlights which require you to push the tailcap to activate the light. If you cannot grip the flashlight, it will slip through your hand as you are pushing on the tailcap. That happened with my X5 and XO2 before I installed the inner tube cover.

The XO2 and T2 are kind of large for shirtpocket carry. For that, I prefer the shorter single-cell T1, though it has a shorter battery life.

Let us know what you get and how you like it.

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
well looks like i'll be going for the T2, although the XO2 appears to have a 50 lumen output, as opposed to the 32l of the XO and the 40l of the T2. But it was the switching mech that was pushing me towards the T2 anyway.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
CaptCarrot said:
well looks like i'll be going for the T2, although the XO2 appears to have a 50 lumen output, as opposed to the 32l of the XO and the 40l of the T2. But it was the switching mech that was pushing me towards the T2 anyway.

Good choice based on parnass' detailed post. I have the old T2 with Tiros optics and think it is a fine light. I also prefer the tactical switch. :rock:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the new XO2, brighter than the T2 and brighter than all XO versions.
And you can use the clicky tailcap of the T series on your XO2.

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
If you are in the US, run, don't walk to your nearest Costco. Last time I was there, there were XO2s for $22 USD, and they had a ton of 'em.

At that price, I'm sure the decision would be simple.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
aggiegrads said:
If you are in the US, run, don't walk to your nearest Costco. Last time I was there, there were XO2s for $22 USD, and they had a ton of 'em. ..

That is where I bought my XO2, but only some of the Costco stores stock them. Heck of a good deal.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Go with the new XO2, brighter than the T2 and ....

Maybe not. My XO2 is no brighter than my single-cell T1. There was considerable variation in the tints of the XO2s I checked at Costco when I bought my XO2.

And you can use the clicky tailcap of the T series on your XO2.

I do. Glad they are interchangeable. Bravo, Inova!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
CaptCarrot said:
will it lock out though?

All the caps on both the T and X series flashlights will lock out if unscrewed far enough. The difference is how you lock them ON.

You lock on the X series lights by fully tightening the tailcap. You lock on the T series by depressing the tailcap pushbutton switch fully until you hear a click sound. A second press turns off a T series light.

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
the reason I asked is they advertise the T with the lock out as an option to prevent it turning on in your pocket.

They make sound like more than just unscrewing the tail cap.

(btw, im in the UK, no Costco as far as I am aware :()

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang wish we had a Costco around here, for that price I will have to look and see where the nearest one is. $22 is a great price on the X02, I have been thinking of getting one anyway.