Inova Bolt 2AA Hands-On

Wyeast

Enlightened
I picked up a Bolt 2AA at REI today, and had to put in a quickie report.

- It's still daylight, so I don't have great beamshots or anything, but I did check out the beam pattern against two similar models - my MinimagLED 3AA, and an Inova X03 (old model, w/ TIROS).

Great size, very pocketable compared to a longer MagLED and the larger X03. Aluminum body, including the bezel (no more stainless steel). The anodizing on the bezel and tailcap are rougher than the main body, which is a smooth matte finish. The combination of body shape and the rubber sleeve makes this MUCH easier to manipulate the twist-on switch than the X03 without feeling a little sloppy like the MagLED.

The head is fairly deep, presumably to house the electronics as well as the reflector assembly. This makes the "gripping area" slightly shorter than two AA's end to end. Fits ok with my medium hands, larger hands might find the light a little small for a "tactical hold". The rubber sleeve doesn't slide around, but you can feel that it's not glued to the body.

The switch is recessed momentary-on, so it can stand on-end. No lanyard hole. Batteries insert + facing the switch, which appears to be buffered by a rubber bushing - perhaps the end of crushed contacts due to drops on pavement?

Beam pattern sorta falls between the X03 and the MiniMagLED. Hotspot is slightly wider and smoother than the X03, sidespill isn't nearly as floody as the MiniMag. The beam doesn't stay tight over distance like the XO3's TIROS optic. Perceived brightness is pretty close to the X03, although both the X03 and MiniMagLED are running on partially depleted cells. I'll try to find some fresh batts and take better shots tonight for color/brightness comparison.

Beam patterns, approximately 5' distance.

boltcomparo1lg7.jpg

boltcomparo2gq6.jpg

Last edited:

Wyeast

Enlightened
From this thread there are 3 models. 2-CR123, 2-AA, 2-AAA. Ordered both by size and power. (Based on Inova marketing them as 4.6, 3.8, and 2.0 watts, I think)

The two REI's I've been to had 123's and AA's. Actually, the first one only had AA's, this one had 1 AA and the rest were 123's. I tried out both in the store - the 123 was definitely brighter than the AA, but not by much. Granted, it's inside plastic packaging and the store was bathed in daylight so it's hard to tell. The 123 was definitely bigger, maybe a little narrower than the X03's head.

I was a little mistaken about the perception about size. The Bolt-2AA is actually smaller than an incan AA minimag! (at least as when fitted with a Nite-Ize drop-in) Side by side the Bolt is slightly thicker, and the barrel is slightly shorter, with the head approximately the same size.

boltcomparo3fy1.jpg

Size comparison Bolt-2AA, MiniMag-2AA (with RAM switch and Nite-Ize drop-in), Inova X03, MinimagLED-3AA.

Last edited:

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
Thanks for the mini review Wyeast! These look like pretty good replacements for Inova's Radiant line. I think I'll pick up the AA & AAA models for me and a few more to give as gifts to friends and family.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wyeast said:
I picked up a Bolt 2AA at REI today, and had to put in a quickie report...

Thanks for an excellent report Wyeast.

Looks like a very nice light. I have enough 2AA lights already so that I'll probably pass this one up.

However, that little 2AAA Bolt for only 25 bucks is really hard for me to resist. Looks really tough, and at just over 2 ounces, light enough to always carry as a backup outdoors.

Always have had a soft spot for 2AAA lights. The 2AAAs are just enough smaller, handier, and lighter than 2AAs to make them much better for pocket carry.

Wyeast

Enlightened
A couple of observations as I took the Bolt w/ me onto a jobsite this morning -

Subjectively, the beam was noticably brighter than my MyoXP headlamp with fresh batts. Ran the light for about 10 minutes, where the head felt pretty warm to the touch, but not blazing hot. It looks like there's some fine scratches on the lens, so I'm guessing it's some sort of plastic rather than glass like the higher end Inovas.

The tailcap itself will activate the light when pressed (like other Inovas) which can cause accidental activation in a belt sheath like the Pock-Its mine's in. You can unscrew it enough where only the button will activate, and not the whole cap.

Somewhere I ran across a site that reviewed throw based on some criteria about subjectively being able to distinguish a trashbag among bushes at a distance in suburban lighting. I wish I could remember where it was. Anyway, I seem to recall a light like the X03 or the MiniMagLED3AA being rated around 100-150ft. I'd estimate the Bolt2AA to be around 50-75 feet by that criteria. Definitely does not have the same throw as the X03 does, it craps out trying to light up a neighbor's tree 100ft from our house.

Tried taking beamshots again w/ the MiniMagLED with new batts and it turned out virtually the same as the first shots, so I didn't upload them.

If no one else steps up next week, I'll try to find time to do a runtime on it. :D

dark

Newly Enlightened
REI charges MSRP which is 40-60% markup in price depending on the model of what you could be paying on the wholesale/distributor level. However, all the wholesale sellers won't receive their shipment of bolt lights until 4-30-07.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=inova+bolt&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=online&scoring=p

I suspect the only BOLT that will be popular will be the AAA versions due to unique-to-Inova battery type. The other 2 just seem like watered down and ugly looking T series lights. I hope I'm wrong though, because I like Inova.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Yeah, I had a 20% coupon and member rebate to burn, so I bit the bullet for the sake of science. :D

Assuming nothing screwy has been done to the overall durability or runtime, my impression is that the whole series is a little watered down from the '07 X and T series... but at a lower price. The 2-CR123 perhaps not so much, but I think the 2AA and 2AAA models will have more mass-market appeal because of the common cell format. Especially if you're getting close to the same brightness for half the price of a T2. (for the 2AA)

At least it's got potential for a stronger showing than the Radiant line.

Parnass - Thanks! That's the site I was trying to think of! Bookmarked. :D

pilou

Enlightened
Batteryjunction has recently listed them on their website, where they describe them as having "High-impact polycarbonate window [that] safeguards LED."

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the excellent report Wyeast. You indicated that the 2AA Bolt didn't have the throw of the 3AA Mag, but what's your impression of the overall brightness between the two?

I e-mailed Inova and asked about the brightness, runtime, and regulation. They couldn't provide any details, just the following, most of which we heard already. Also said they were "electronically controlled for uniform light output," the closest thing I could get to a statement on regulation.

Bolt AAA Powered 2 Watt* LED Flashlight
Most flashlights are too flimsy for the rigors of hard use. The compact INOVA Bolt AAA powered flashlight is designed for rough work with an aerospace-grade aluminum body, water-resistant construction and comfortable non-slip grip. Featuring a patented precision optical system and high-powered LED, it projects light up to 100 feet. Non-rolling geometry keeps the Bolt AAA from slipping off of surfaces and right where it is wanted. Ideal for the glove compartment or tool kit.

Bolt AA Powered 3.8 Watt* LED Flashlight
Professionals, do-it-yourselfers and hobbyists will all find the INOVA Bolt AA powered flashlight a "must-have." From aerospace-grade aluminum body to easy-to-grasp, non-slip rubber grip, it is designed with strength and practicality in mind. A patented precision optical system and intense LED bulb combine to shoot a bright light up to 150 feet. With its non-rolling geometry, the Bolt AA stays where you place it. No workshop or garage should be without one.

Bolt Lithium Powered 4.6 Watt* LED Flashlight
Only the best will do for professionals. The INOVA Bolt Lithium powered flashlight is the finest of its kind. Made with the same advanced technology used in our police and military flashlights, it projects a beam up to 250 feet. A tool made for hard knocks and unpredictable weather, the Bolt Lithium features an aerospace-grade aluminum body, water-resistant construction and non-slip rubber grip. Non-rolling geometry keeps this portable lightning bolt in place. Completes any professional toolbox.

Wyeast

Enlightened
My 3AA mag's got more throw, but only if you focus down the head, making it just a little less than the X03 in terms of lighting up a tree 100' down from our house. However, overall brightness the Bolt is very competitive to the 3AA despite the smaller form factor and 1 less cell. There's definitely less spill - but it's enough to walk around by, and the larger hotspot feels more useful when looking around inside 50' with it.

Color temperature could be playing a role in my perception as well, since the 3AA's a little green by comparison. Someone with actual testing gear will have to make the final determination - they seem pretty close to each other. It definitely doesn't jump at you with a perceptible difference like it does when I light up the X03.

Overall utility vs a 3AA I'd say the Bolt has replaced the 3AA as my EDC. Partially because of the smaller size, mainly because it's not prone to flickering like the Mag is. (grumble)

My guess is the light will act semi-regulated much like the Radiant series it replaces. Gradual decrease to some x number of hours, then a drop. I know I said I'd do a rough runtime check... I was kinda hoping someone would pick it up before it got to that. ;) I'll try to load everything up with fresh cells this week and see how it goes.

150'... maybe in total darkness with night adjusted eyes. In a neighborhood with streetlights, more like 50-75' of useful illumination... much further out if you're reflecting off streetsigns or something.

Last edited:

Lambert

Newly Enlightened
Why doesn't Inova just make a AAA version of the newer X1 with reflector and just skip this fugly bolt line?

What is the whole point of this Bolt line anyway?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambert said:
Why doesn't Inova just make a AAA version of the newer X1 with reflector and just skip this fugly bolt line?...What is the whole point of this Bolt line anyway?

What is the point of Inova lights in general?

Inova's design philosophy seems to emphasize simplicity and reliability.

1. KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
-No fancy multi-level, turbo mode, SOS, GPS, etc.
-No reverse clickies.
-No adjustable focus bezels.

2. Reliable
-Well machined parts for close fit and durability.
-Very rugged exterior.
-Internally simple with little to go wrong.

The Bolt series expands this design philosophy into the lower-priced, general utility category.