Why isn't there a cheap Cree < 3" long?

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
If i understood the construction and electronics better maybe the answer would be obvious. But instead i'll ask the rest of you.

They can make a 3W Cree 1x14500 that's 3.5" long for $18.
They can make a 3W Generic 1xCR123 that's 2.5" long for $7.

Why can't they make a 3W Cree 1xCR123 that's 2.5" long for less than $25. Or even $20?

I just thought if they have the $18 light running on a 3.7V rechargeable it would just be a matter of making a shorter body and that would be the only change needed. I assume dropping in a Cree to the $7 light would require extra circuitry but even an extra $10 in circuitry should still only bring the price up to $25. But i really don't know if i'm missing something obvious.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art Vandelay said:
Maybe the reflector needs to be deeper for a good Cree beam.
Not necessarily. The Fenix P1D-CE appears decent enough, and that fits this category (except for the part about being cheap). A Seoul LED might also be used as it throws more light out the side so would work in a shallower reflector. I do agree though it would be great to see a small light from DX in that form factor in the sub $20 price range, even if it's just a single-level twisty with crude regulator (Rather than a complicated multi-level regulator like the Fenix)

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure anyone (like me) who's asking for this theoretical lite to cost less than $20 won't mind if it's a simple on/off switch/twisty of any sort and will even live with a less than perfect beam as long as it's bright.

LightScene

Enlightened
Yep. I'm waiting for the same thing. A cheap RCR123 powered Cree or SSC P4. The FreeLight Spartanian was supposed to cost under $20, but it's closer to $50 with shipping, even though it uses that unusual, and otherwise unheard of, Edison Edixion LED.

AArcVarc

Newly Enlightened
For that kind of money don't expect any regulation behind the emitter. Without it there'd be no run time. The light would be following the battery's voltage from a heavy voltage demand, until the battery could no longer support it, this would take only a few minutes, then the rest of the runtime would be dissappointingly dimmer and dimmer. These new Cree LEDs are too good to run like that. So the question is how much less regulation would you put up with for less money? Dont expect anyone to make just the combo you seek when it doesnt add up to much performace.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
AArcVarc said:
For that kind of money don't expect any regulation behind the emitter. Without it there'd be no run time. The light would be following the battery's voltage from a heavy voltage demand, until the battery could no longer support it, this would take only a few minutes, then the rest of the runtime would be dissappointingly dimmer and dimmer. These new Cree LEDs are too good to run like that. So the question is how much less regulation would you put up with for less money? Dont expect anyone to make just the combo you seek when it doesnt add up to much performace.
Not necessarily. If both DX annd Kaidomain can put out the Elly Cree for under $10, and Kai can sell a regulated 18650 Cree light for $19.45 (Venture), I don't see why a regulated CR123 light can't be done for around $20. Even if it were a bit more though, I'm sure DX/Kai would sell a ton of them.

I do have a modded Vinet, and that is just a direct drive light off of a CR123, so I know what you mean about the diminishing brightness. It definitely is useful for burst though, or for running in "low", so I have it and a spare CR123 in my backpack.

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I swapped Lux1 from my cheap S1801 CR123 light to Cree P4 and fire it up with RCR123. The battery life is short i.e. less than an hour but I don't care. I swap the battery every few days.

That light is insanely bright. Ignoring the original price of the the S1801 light, all I paid was $7.50 for the Cree Star and $7.50 for the Nano charger with 2 RCR123 800mAh cells.

This is one of the reason I am not willing to cough up $70 for P1D-CE as I think the premium being asked for is too high.

It is only matter of time when Kyle and Kai will bring the light that you and me are looking for at competitive prices.

- Vikas

No offense, but they're in the business of lining their pocket with your money. The cost to make means little to them as long as it allow them to be profitable.

If the cost of goods decrease by half, they'd still keep the same selling price unless they predict the reduction in selling price would yield to more profit for that product. If the product is selling very well and there is not much competition, this won't happen.

liveforphysics

Enlightened
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1996

2.6" total legnth, CREE LED, 3W, rcr123, $13 WITH shipping!

Is that what you were looking for?

Handlo- Kyle has been steadily dropping prices on his lasers as sales have increased and he got better volume priceing rates. You will also note they drop the prices on other high selling units.

riffraff

Enlightened
itch808 said:
muuuuust resist, must not place my 4th order for flashlight in 3 days....

itch808 said:
oh well, just placed an order for one to see how it is...

That's what we like to see...a stirring show of will-power and determination! :naughty:

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
liveforphysics said:

Seriously. This was not on the site yesterday when i posted. I specifically went to DX and into the CREE section so i could pull the link for my first post.

Talk about timing.

I knew about candlepowerforums for the last year but haven't really visited regularly until this week. And this will be my 4th purchase in the last week too :p

Doh. looks like this is going to be purchase 4, 5 and 6. I haven't previously gotten any rechargeable rcr123s or a charger. :-(

ARe the hovet batteries and the Ekarp charger considered a decent starter combo?

Last edited:
liveforphysics said:

Handlo- Kyle has been steadily dropping prices on his lasers as sales have increased and he got better volume priceing rates. You will also note they drop the prices on other high selling units.

No business person (in his right mind) would drop the price unless it would result in increased profit.

If he was making $2.75/unit and selling 15,000 units but reducing the price to $2.50 would increase the sale to 20,000 units, he would do it, because he'd increase $8750.

jhawkins1

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, my order for my Elly's and one of their non cree MXDL's has not shipped yet, just sent a request to change the order! 13 bucks, .... that is crazy low!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
This is getting completely out of hand. I now have 6 orders with Kyle / Kai pair and have yet to see any of them. I just put my order for this light. It was NOT there yesterday.

Next week, the other guy i.e Kai will put his version with SSC U-bin for $12.95 and we all will buy *that* one too.

Somebody needs to tell Kyle and Kai to stop torturing us like this :)

As soon as RexLight hit one of the site, I would be out for more dollars. Then one of them will bring out the stainless steel UltraFire C1 for $30 and my wallet will follow that ...

If these guy can improve their shipping turnaround, they will clean out my bank account at the rate I am going.

- Vikas

P.S. I am happy with HOVET and NANO 3.6 charger. It is a single cell charger and does NOT seem to overcharge the cell. I had left a cell on it overnight and voltage on the cell did NOT creep up.

Last edited: