Is USPS D/C getting smarter

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to be that when checking the D/C status you only saw the date that it was mailed (or the date that the label was printed) and the date of actual delivery (even if it was just left at the door).
But recently I've been seeing a new status of "Enroute" that shows when it was scanned at the post office actually handling the delivery, i.e. one step before delivery.
Is anyone else seeing this?
Has it always been like this and I've only just now noticed it?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
It would be such a relief if the USPS offered tracking updates similar to UPS's tracking system, which is so accurate that it's scary.

InFlux

Enlightened
My understanding is that if you prepay a shipping label (through PayPal or USPS site) the delivery confirmation is included free with Priority mail however- they will NOT scan your package in at the local office. It should be scanned at the transfer facility- but I've found that MANY time this step is skipped and it will say "electronic notice received..." up until the time it's delivered..

On the other hand, if you pay postage (including the fee for Delivery Confirmation) at the local office- they will scan it in. At that point, it will show the time/date of acceptance.

When I asked my local office to scan in a preprinted label they refused and said they weren't allowed. She even showed me the actual memo that said if a customer insisted upon having D/C scanned the customer must pay the additional fee (and be assigned a new number!)

Oh, I just re-read your post. Yes, I've seen the enroute message before- I think that's if the transit facility actually scans the label.

ibcj

Enlightened
I've noticed the "Enroute" message more often also, but it doesn't seem to appear for a couple days. I also see a "Notice Left" message when it arrives at my PO, which means that they put a slip in my PO Box telling me that it is there. Not Fedex or UPS tracking, but then again it's only DC.

cqbdude

Enlightened
This is the only message I get whenever Im tracking a package...the only time it really changes is when it has already arrived..

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on March 13, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

goldenlight

Enlightened
cqbdude said:
This is the only message I get whenever Im tracking a package...the only time it really changes is when it has already arrived..

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on March 13, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I bought something on eBay that showed that notice for *weeks*. I disputed it with Paypal, and the 'seller' tried to use it as 'proof' he had 'shipped' the package!

To their credit, Paypal paid back my money.....and the crook put the same item up for auction again.

He used the same photos, including one with some distinctive background.

I notified eBay. The item was pulled, but showed up with new photos a week later.

I notified eBay.

Now I can't seem to find the seller. Doubtless he's using a new name.

eBay will take action, rarely, of course.

The USPS notice was a real big help though!