Amilite Neo T5 Clicky?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
A buddy and I are considering going in together to get another of our friends an Amilite Neo T5 for his birthday. (I suggested it, as I'm getting one for myself.) Only problem might be is this friend of ours has a medical condition that results in a very weak grip. (It's better than it was, but at one point he couldn't even pull-through a double-action pistol.)

So the question I have is this: How "stiff" is the action on the T5's clicky? I know this is subjective. That'll have to do.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Amilite Neo T2 Clicky?

A double action pistol usually requires 12 to 15 pounds of pressure. If he can do that now, he is probably strong enough for any clicky. Of course, if he has more trouble pressing than pulling, or more trouble with his thumb than his fingers he could still have a problem.

SEMIJim said:
A buddy and I are considering going in together to get another of our friends an Amilite Neo T5 for his birthday. (I suggested it, as I'm getting one for myself.) Only problem might be is this friend of ours has a medical condition that results in a very weak grip. (It's better than it was, but at one point he couldn't even pull-through a double-action pistol.)

So the question I have is this: How "stiff" is the action on the T5's clicky? I know this is subjective. That'll have to do.

Thanks!

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Re: Amilite Neo T2 Clicky?

Art Vandelay said:
Of course, if he has more trouble pressing than pulling, or more trouble with his thumb than his fingers he could still have a problem.
That's the reason I asked. I have no problem at all pulling-through the trigger of even a heavy double-action revolver or auto-loader. Repeatedly. I work out regularly and occassionally work with relatively stiff grip strength exercisers. But the clicky on my Nuwai TM-301X-3 sometimes gives me a spot of trouble. (I suspect beginning stages of mild [so far] arthritis.) It's a different action (push vs. pull) and, probably more importantly, the thumb is at quite an acute angle.

No point in giving our friend a flashlight he can't use, no matter how good it is.

DM51

Flashaholic
He may have trouble with it. It seems to the user that a fairly stiff press is needed to operate it. I say "seems" because it is not stiff in actual fact - it is just that the T5 itself is so small that the amount of pressure required seems to be disproportionate. It is probably in fact a sensible pressure for it, otherwise it might turn on accidentally too easily. But for a small light it does just seem quite stiff. Gripping the light sufficiently firmly to switch it on might also be a problem for your friend.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Good catch, DM51. I hadn't considered the small size being an issue in operating the clicky, but you're probably right :(. We should perhaps consider another option.

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
why don't you try using your index finger, its easy but it needs getting used to. I tried it myself and you can still use a clikie unless it is really small. I have the Neo T5 and the Huntlight FT 02 which is much stiffer than the T5.

Anyways its just my suggestion.

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say that if grip and ability to activate a clickly is an issue, then you might want to check out a review post I did a while back when looking for a light for my wife's grandmother. She was around 90 at the time, with severe arthritis in her hands which meant she couldn't hold or activate many lights.

The conclusion? Many clickies take a LOT more pressure to activate than we think! Also, if grip is an issue, a small, round light may not be the best choice as it requires closing and maintaining a tighter grip in the fist.

In the end, we went with an Eternalight Derringer. The rectangle body was much easier to hold, and the switch is the "lightest" of any that I tried. In this case, the ligth also offers a nice variety of useful modes so it retains quite a bit of coolness. It is out of stock from the manufacturer, but it
seems to be in stock at Flashlights Unlimited and PocketLights (not endorsements, just observations).

SEMIJim

Enlightened
lahjik said:
Just wanted to say that if grip and ability to activate a clickly is an issue, then you might want to check out a review post I did a while back when looking for a light for my wife's grandmother. She was around 90 at the time, with severe arthritis in her hands which meant she couldn't hold or activate many lights.
Thanks for the ideas, lahjik. Hadn't thought to search on "arthritis." Your thread, and other, similar ones, have lots of ideas, but there's one common problem with each of them: The suggestions all lack wow factor. Our friend may have a weak grip, but he's still a relatively young man and likes Cool Stuff :).

It's beginning to look like "easily operated" and "wow" may be mutually exclusive :(. Not really a surprise, I guess. I may have to give up on the flashlight idea (gasp!) and perhaps go with a pocket knife or small sheath knife, instead.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Oval Light? http://www.ovallight.com
It's a 3 AA light with flat regulation. It has a unique design. I've got one. I like it. It's not the most powerful light, but it is very practical. It can be as used a handle for a dog leash. It has two lights, one is the standard out the front, and one is a flood light that points down at your feet.

gallery http://www.ovallight.com/cart2/index.php?main_page=page&id=6

2006 IDEA awards (Industrial Design Excelance Awards) http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/06/idea2006/source/34.htm

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Thanks for the idea, Art. Interesting design, but I'm looking for something perhaps suitable as an EDC and that he can take hunting or when otherwise out in the woods.

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
I have the same problem. If he has a lot of trouble, than get him a light where the tailcap clicky is expose so he can hold the light with his hand and tap the end on his lap or a hard surface to operate the light.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
There used to be a light called the Orb. It was made by the same people who make the the smaller Orb Raw. I never had one, but I read about it. It had a rare earth magnet on the end of the wrist strap. I think you just put the magnet on the end of the light and that turned it on. To turn it off you removed it. I never had one, so I may be wrong.

martonic

Enlightened
vtran96 said:
I have the same problem. If he has a lot of trouble, than get him a light where the tailcap clicky is expose so he can hold the light with his hand and tap the end on his lap or a hard surface to operate the light.
I can turn my Amilite T5 on and off this way - but you still have to grip the light.

Maybe something a bit larger will be easier to hold on to.

Consider the D-Mini with OP reflector and (optional) 2-stage switch - performance is similar to (or better than) Amilite, at about the same price, but the switch takes less pressure and the larger light is easier to grasp.

This can also use a knurled 18670 extender (from Kooter) for great runtime and that gives you a light that's _really_ easy to hold - probably one of the best setups you can get for that.

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you call up Amilite and explain the situation; they might be able to put a T5 head on a T3 body, and then it is a twisty! Bit smaller too.

Just a thought.