What to use as lube for threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveman

Enlightened
Before the mods shut this one down: I thought the type of lube used depends on the type of light? If the threads are used to complete the circuit, then they require a specific type of lube?

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
daveman said:
Before the mods shut this one down: I thought the type of lube used depends on the type of light? If the threads are used to complete the circuit, then they require a specific type of lube?

That is true...Super Lube is a dielectric grease, so it wouldn't allow current to flow properly to complete the circuit in some lights.

But if the light doesn't need the threads to transfer current, then Super Lube is a cheap (I just paid around $3 for an 85 gram tube), very slick, way to protect threads and make them work silky smooth. :)

flashlightpoor

Newly Enlightened
I use scuba gear grease. it is safe on o-rings and is really reistant stuff. but it is not conductive.

gunga

Flashaholic
It's weird.

I've used super lube on L1D CE (conducts through threads) as well as the Jetbeam C-LE, and they both work fine.

Oh well, not complaining..

ScottW

Newly Enlightened
I use clear silicone plumber's grease and it works pretty well and is dirt cheap. I'm fairly new to the flashaholic thing and haven't gotten around to buying any Nyogel yet.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I asked this same question a few days ago, having had major problems finding silicon grease locally. After getting many replies, I ended up going to an auto-parts store (Pep Boys) and asking for dielectric grease... they had Permatex brand grease in a 3 Oz. tube (should last the rest of my life...) for $7 and change. I've lubed all of my lights with it since then (using about 1/50 of the tube!) and they all work perfectly - including my A2's which are notoriously picky about clean contacts, etc. I've been VERY happy with this grease so far.

Too much is made of the "non-conductive" part of grease selection - the threads will have no problem completing the circuit even if you use an insulative grease product. At least that's been my experience so far.

Best wishes,
Bawko

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went to a tool show last week and got samples of Super lube for the threads and Super Lube Synthetic Grease for the o-rings. Just got done cleaning and lubing and it is oh-so-silky-smooth!!!

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I know it sounds crazy, but I use Vaseline to lube the threads and o-ring on my p1d.
Supposedly it will ruin the o-ring but I have a spare and access to new ones anyhow.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's too many threads on this exact issue. Please use the search function.

I'm closing this one.

-dan

BBL

Enlightened
Which lights use the threads for conductivity? I can think of only one: Pelican M6.

Status
Not open for further replies.