Possible mod?

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
First of all, just want to say I have never done anything like a mod in my entire life, and I don't even have a soldering iron. I know I would need one if I planned to do this, but for now it is just an idea. Anyhoo, I have this small 3 LED flashlight that I got a while ago. I like it, and it's not too big, not too small, but it is horrendously dim. It is just terrible, it is useless except for reading. It runs on 3 AAAs in a battery magazine. It also has a cylindrical reflector. Yes, really. I'm no expert on reflectors, or mods in any way, but I think that cylindrical reflectors don't work very well. I wonder what the possibility of replacing the current LEDs with a Cree XR-E or Seoul P4, getting a better reflector, and maybe using lithium AAAs for better power. I do not have precise measurements as of now, but I can get them. I do, however, have some pics. Sorry, some of them are not very clear, my camera was acting up.

Any ideas or advice are greatly appreciated!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
spend the time and money on something else. After seeing whats available for the same ammount of money that you would be putting into it, I'd think you'd be surprised.

New Fenix cree light....$50-$70
OR
LED emitter.....$10-$13
Coverter board....$14-$28
Reflector.........$15-$28
Lithium batteries...?
Soldering iron.....$15 for cheap radio shack style
Time.......?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beg to differ, while I do believe in store purchaced lights, 90% of this disease... umm... sickness... no... HOBBY, yea thats it, is making / modding something yourself.

I have put 20-30$ into a $3 light.

as this may be your first mod, keep it simple.

I would recommend either an IMS reflector (17-20mm) measure the ID of the head. OR a NX style optic (www theledguy com)

go with a regular kind of LED. a LUX III or a K2 is a good place to start. these are cheap and easily avail.

I have used a piece of round aluminum, mounted the LED in the center, run the + side of the LED through a small hole to a piece of pc board on the back to make a positive connection.

No regulation, just direct drive, the AAA bats wont blow it out. the round piece of metal with the LED will replace the board that the original LEDs are mounted on.

If you would like some more info and some pics of what I am talking about (pics when I can) post here or PM me.

Jeff