Pelican M6 led revived!

Luxson

Newly Enlightened
Just some good news for the Pelican M6 Led owner who mght have thought your M6 is edging towards retro status and had been neglected in your store, get the $12.50 Cree module and chuck it inplace of the old lux 1 module.http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447

The Cree's reflector diameter is slightly smaller than the original but still look fitting nice when assembled. The problem is that the thread don't fit nicely in the body, with some force, you can screw in about 1.5 to 2 rounds for conductivity and hopefully sufficient heat transfer. Well for the brightness, needless to say, its put about twice or more compare to the original, as expected from Cree, all the wow! :drool: factors when lighted. Perfect beam, white(slightly purple) tint, good combination of spill and spot, no ring or whatsoever. Its about similar total light output with Fenix PIDce at high according to my visual Bio-meter. I used 2 x R123 rechargable as the input voltage is 3.6v to 9v. You could use 17670 but it will be dimmer

Now, my M6 Pelican is like Popeye on spinach, ready to flex its muscle. Its such ashamed such a well made light was chucked in one corner when cree and SSC invaded. At least for now, its back on top of my priority use list. And the fact you could use variable power source, what are you waiting for Peli M6 owners?

Luxson

Newly Enlightened
83venture, sorry I have no idea about the incan version. adnj, thats not a module, its a plain SSC star. I did throw in a SSC star in the streamlight tasklight 2L, its output is increased substantially but still the M6 is slightly brighter.

adnj

Enlightened
Luxson said:
adnj, thats not a module, its a plain SSC star. I did throw in a SSC star in the streamlight tasklight 2L, its output is increased substantially but still the M6 is slightly brighter.

My point was to replace the Lux star with the SSC star for the M6. I'm not sure what the M6 regulator is rated for but it is an easy mod.

S

starlinklighting

No,it is not only with LED version ,it also can be with other source

chanamasala

Enlightened
I received my first Pelican M6(new incan version 2320) and wow, what a great light. I installed a glass lens and P60 Q5 drop-in and it is really nice. Had to ground down the reflector a bit to fit. It would be nice if there were proper Q5 drop-ins you could buy for this.

2002192253336577208_rs.jpg

Last edited:

NickelPlate

Enlightened
I still love my vanilla M6 but am curious about this drop in. Sounds like it isn't too much trouble and I may have to give a whirl. Did you guys have to hack you'r M6 body or head at all? I'm just wondering if this trying this mod is a one way street.

NP

chanamasala

Enlightened
I still love my vanilla M6 but am curious about this drop in. Sounds like it isn't too much trouble and I may have to give a whirl. Did you guys have to hack you'r M6 body or head at all? I'm just wondering if this trying this mod is a one way street.

NP

I bought a Q5 drop-in made for a SF 6P from eBay. Removed the ground spring and filed off 2 or 3mm from the top of the reflector(removed the pill first so shavings didn't get in it). Didn't change the Pelican at all except put in a glass lens.

Caveat: I don't know if the heat transfer is proper as the drop-in doesn't touch a lot of metal like a true Pelican module. Still, when I used it for awhile the head got hot so it was transferring to some extent.

Last edited:

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Just got the cree module. I also had to do some grinding to get it to fit. Pelican on steroids indeed!! I was going to purchase a Tiablo A9 for my new thrower and while I'm sure it would still be better, my 2390 is now breathing new life. Thanks for the tip!

NP

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a way to update my Pelican M6 LED. The original LED looks so dim compared to the 6090 and Q5 drop-ins I have.

Found this thread, orrdered the 1447 ($12.80) on 5/24 and it arrived 6/2 (nice). Removed the outer spring and had to finesse the drop-in into the Pelican body (the tolerance is a bit tight so you have to line it up just right). The bezel leaves about a 1.5-2 thread gap. A nice easy way to revitalize the M6.

I wished I could have found a Q5 drop-in :shrug:

houtex

Enlightened
I used a Q5 drop in from Lighthound. With a little bit of grinding from a Dremel or even a file you can fit it to the Pelican. Also not sure about the size but an o-ring takes care of any loose space. A very easy DIY mod that brings much satisfaction.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
is http://mteccd.com/ the same? :shrug:

wordings of the module D-7011, 185lumens (on packaging), 4.5V~9V, made in USA. got it at SG$30.

it is visibly brighter than the M6 2390. :grin2:

Last edited:

rhino465

Newly Enlightened
I got the #1447 to function nicely by just removing the outer spring in a Pelican M3 3370, the 9V big brother of the M6. I'm trying to get a #11836 with the Cree R2 emitter to work, but so far it won't function at all and I'm not sure why. Suggestions on the latter welcome!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of the newer Xenon M6s and I simply pulled out the incan module and popped in one of my generic DX-type Cree P60LED modules (removing the spring of course) and it fits right in without need for grinding down of the reflector...unless you're absolutely anal about the bezel screwing down 100%. I figure my bezel goes down about 90%-95%, which is good enough for me. And as far as I can tell, the pill does make sufficient contact with the inside of the the body tube and does appear to transfer heat good enough.

Last edited:

rhino465

Newly Enlightened
Do you know which module you used (SKU #)?

The 1477 (I think it has a P4 emitter?) seems to work okay (assuming the unit itself is function), but I can't get similarly configured modules (like the 11836) to function. It seems like it fits okay, but when you put it together, no light.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
What about the polymer, PM6, version? I am a bit worried about heat transfer, on the other hand the xenon lamp gets a little hot and so far no problems. Thanks.