Would you stock up on old Surefire L1

firefly99

Enlightened
The Surefire L1 had a runtime of 90 hours on low beam, use to be describe as a emergency preparedness light.

In view of upgrading the Surefire L1's low beam from 1.1 lumen to maybe 10 lumens with a decrease in runtime.

Would you stock up on the old Surefire L1 ?

xm_8

Banned
I prefer to buy the new 2007 L1 and stock up on extra batteries. You can buy an Inova X5 for long runtime.

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
Last time the power went out (for three days) my 2003 L1 was my constant companion. I generally keep it at bedside to navigate in the dark and set the clock radio. During the outage I used it to find my way around the house after dark because the night lights were off. Two things stand out about this light - ergonomics -It fit the hand and is easy to just flash (Fenix take note) to find your way. The low level is what I used the most. Remember, after a couple of hours in the dark that low level really works.

I got the current model in addition to my 2003 model and use that for EDC on a lanyard. Whether or not I can find a specific place for the upcoming L1 I plan on getting it because there's simply nothing like Surefire.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I'd stock up on the 2004-2006 TIR optic version...I prefer the floody beam of the pre-2004, non-TIR version, and I have been stocking up on those a bit - three in the past six months, 2 white and 1 red. According to tests posted here, that version has a somewhat longer run time in moon mode than the 2004-2006 version, too.

boet

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a L1 a few weeks back and find the two levels perfect for my use. I will be purchasing another - as well as the new Cree L1 (and Cree E1L).
Cheers
Boet

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
boet - if you don't mind the question - what kind of prices are these SF L1's first gen going for? And where can you buy one?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I don't know about "stocking up", but would say they are different beasts. I'd say have at least one of each!

You know the ole' CPF unofficial motto..."Buy em' both!"

Sable

Enlightened
In regards to the original question:

Only as hosts. I love the L1's form factor (especially the "OLD" L1, with the four flats) but am fond, so far, of Surefire's stock LED offerings. To Milkyspit!

greenLED

Flashaholic
+1 on what Sigman said.

The L1 is one of those rare lights that I can feed "spent" cells and still get usable light from for a looooooong time.

boet

Newly Enlightened
flashy bazook said:
boet - if you don't mind the question - what kind of prices are these SF L1's first gen going for? And where can you buy one?

flashy - I have the new iteration - 1.1 lumens low / 22 lumens high.
The two levels are fabulous for around the home use. Perfect size and one battery. Not overbright - very useful.
I am looking forward to owning the Cree version - same form factor but different use with the increased output.
Boet

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
boet said:
flashy - I have the new iteration - 1.1 lumens low / 22 lumens high.
The two levels are fabulous for around the home use. Perfect size and one battery. Not overbright - very useful.
I am looking forward to owning the Cree version - same form factor but different use with the increased output.
Boet

Same here. I would love to have three or six current rev L1s around the house, in the cars, at work but, at $135 a pop, the one I have will stay lonely. I am looking forward to adding the Cree version but won't be letting go of my current version. Hoping hard the current model will go on closeout somewhere when the Cree comes out. If the current model is going away, I would fork over the bucks for a couple "spares."

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I think the new L1 on low might be a bit to bright for close in work(10lum) thats why i bought one now with the low at 1.1 lum it's plenty bright for getting to the head at night and checking in on the kids and i love the fact that it will last for almost 4 day constant use . that said when the new L1 comes out yes i will buy one .

Last edited:

xm_8

Banned
If I'm not mistaken the 2007 L1 is shorter in length, hotspot with spill = best L1 yet.

boet

Newly Enlightened
xm_8 said:
If I'm not mistaken the 2007 L1 is shorter in length, hotspot with spill = best L1 yet.

As long as it is not a "flood" light, that would be perfect - I hope it is more a "thrower". That is why I like my current L1. The narrow beam generates plenty of spill light bouncing off the walls inside the home.

Jeff H: I'm with you on having numerous L1's stashed all over the place. Pity about something called budget constraints:) .

thermal guy: You describe well why I use my L1 so much. The increased output of the new Cree L1 will also be useful without being overpowering. The two different model L1's will complement each other perfectly!

I may end up with two of each - got to have backups/replacements, you know.:grin2:

boet

Newly Enlightened
JNewell said:
This is all good - but I will miss the lonnnnnnng runtime of the first and second type L1s.

A-ha: then we get back to the OP's question - you will have to stock up on the current version:) .

But the Cree L1 at low / 10 lumens for 17 (?) hours is not too shabby. The runtime may change for the better when it is released ??? - seems out of wack with the stated runtime / lumens of the new Cree E1L (which I will also be buying). If memory serves, the Cree E1L will also have 17 (?) hours but at 45 (?) lumens. Doesn't gel.

I await in anticipation.
Boet

edit: spelling

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
an SF dealer here mentioned that the 2007 catalog had some errors - or to be more precise, things that would not be accurate for the eventual light versions when they are finally released.

so you got to wait to get the final official SF version of measurements as printed on the box that comes with the actual light!

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, but 17 hours, if that's what it comes to, is pretty shabby in comparison to the moon-mode for the current L1s...:)...if I remember correctly, the old L1 approaches 200 hours and the current version is over 175 hours. Granted, that's moon mode, but I don't see the 2007 version doing the same. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though. :D
boet said:
A-ha: then we get back to the OP's question - you will have to stock up on the current version:) .

But the Cree L1 at low / 10 lumens for 17 (?) hours is not too shabby. The runtime may change for the better when it is released ??? - seems out of wack with the stated runtime / lumens of the new Cree E1L (which I will also be buying). If memory serves, the Cree E1L will also have 17 (?) hours but at 45 (?) lumens. Doesn't gel.

I await in anticipation.
Boet

edit: spelling

Latest posts