What a first year for me as a CPF member

EV_007

Enlightened
A whole year has passed since my introduction to CPF. And in that time I've spent more time and money than I thought I would on a seemingly passing infatuation of the luminary kind.

Prior to joining CPF, I always knew that I wanted a "good quality" flashlight. Seeing SureFire ads in hunting and outdoors magazines over the years spurred on my interest which eventually brought me to CandlePower Forums. I've seen this site once or twice in the past, but thought it way over my head for me to spend any time here. After joining, I felt a kindred spirit amongst all of you. Fellows commiserating in a mass addiction gotta love it.

My experience has been something like this: Log into CPF, read about new light, investigate new light, read other opinions/advertisemnts about new light, read strong opinions and biased reviews of new light, acquire some for myself, add my own opinions of new light, sell off some new light, later regret selling of new light, get more new lights…. Read praises of new lights to help justify my purchase. And so the cycle(illness) continues.

Around the time of joining CPF a year ago, I had acquired a Dorcy Metal Gear LED and a SureFire Z2 Combat light. Those were my introduction into real flashlights as apposed to the .99 cent drugstore variety.

First I wanted the brightest light I can get my hands on. I spent hours online comparing models and tried to determine the best bang for the buck. Then I wanted one with longer runtime. Then I wanted smallest, brightest, longest running possible. Then I saw the LEDs and wanted the same.

I've quickly found out that no one light will do all, but all the lights can at least do one thing well- light up the darkness.

The incan vs. LED argument still rages on in my head, but I've resigned myself to realizing the usefulness of both technologies. For me the incans suit my needs best outdoors for throw and color rendition and the LEDs for indoor or long lasting light requirements in terms of overall runtime. The "CREvolution" holds much promise.

I've gone from having a Dorcy 1AAA on my key chain just after joining CPF to now having the Fenix L0D CE. My brightest incan at that time was the SF Z2 with P61 and now the M6 holds that title. I still consider myself a newbie but have leaned a lot and enjoyed all of your contributions to this unique watering hole on the net for those of us afflicted with the light and all things luminous to gather. I especially like the flashlight stories. I hope to have some interesting ones of my own to contribute.

Thanks for the memories and look forward to more to come.

Last edited:

ScooterBug

Enlightened
being a new guy here on this forum i read your post with intrest. i have come to the conclution that we are related and must have been seperated sometime in the past. i could not have expressed my own thoughts better than you did. thanks for writing them down...:)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The important thing is you have an HDS.

My question is now... WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A HID BASED LIGHT YET?!

Can't be a flashoholic without lights from the 3 categories: LED, Incan and HID.

flash_bang

Enlightened
tebore said:

Can't be a flashoholic without lights from the 3 categories: LED, Incan and HID.
Are Hotwires another category? :lolsign:

have a good one,
Flash

EV_007

Enlightened
tebore said:

AE Powerlight (shorty) is in my crosshairs.

EV_007

Enlightened
tebore said:

Nope, HDS has since found its way to a more deserving fellow CPF member. A CREE HDS Ultimate would be something to behold.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
EV_007 said:
Nope, HDS has since found its way to a more deserving fellow CPF member. A CREE HDS Ultimate would be something to behold.

That's what mods are for. I have 4 HDS' all running seouls putting out well over 100lms out the front.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Reading this thread helped me to realize that I have been here for just about a year as well. It has been a very interesting year indeed.

Prior to visiting this site, I did not recognize my love of flashlights. I had 8-10 maglights at the time but I just never thought much about it. Once I started reading the threads here I realized how blind I was before.

Incandescent vs. LED. I started out loving the "natural" look of incans but soon realized that I liked it mainly because it was what I was used to. Since I got an HDS I have seen the light and now really like LEDs.

Everytime I think my interest in waning I find some other part of flashlights that hooks me. I thought I was done for a while until my girlfriend told me she needed a really powerful light every now and then to see what the dog was barking at. That was all the excuse I needed to get my first HID. So now I have the required incan, LED, and HID for membership. I also have what I consider to be a custom light from McGizmo. I still haven't done any modding but that could be the next fascination.

It does my heart good to realize that I own some of the best flashlights in the world. Don't get me wrong, my collection absolutely pales in comparison to most collections around here, but most of the members here have lights that 99.99% of the people in the world don't even know exist. In most areas of my life I'm not even close to being on the cutting edge of technology...but in flashlights...:naughty: .

By the way, I've said this before but I want to repeat my thanks to everyone here for unselfishly sharing their knowledge. It's rare to find people so ready to help out a stranger with no expectation of reward.

My girlfriend say that when it comes to flashlights it seems like I've been born again...kinda like I've found God. As you can tell from my username I'm not a religious person but I could think of many worse things to worship than flashlights.:lolsign:

I don't know what my future here looks like. I might disappear for the next year or I might be here weekly for the next 20 years. It's kinda fun not knowing. I do know that I have found something that I really enjoy that was absent before.

Thanks EV_007 for reminding me of my anniversary here. Cheers.:grin2:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your anniversary. May the year ahead be more properous thus maximizing your lumenery appetite.

Latest posts