MiniMag & Lithiums?

JJH

Newly Enlightened
Can the MiniMags AA & AAA LED lights run on Lithium batts? What about ones that have been converted?
Thank in advance-
JJ

BMRSEB

Enlightened
I think the packaging from M*gLite says not to use anything other than regular Alkalines? As far as modded ones, no clue. Maybe a seasoned Flashaholic can chime in?

Last edited:

gammaray1965

Newly Enlightened
Yes and No, Depending on your application. Individual Li-ion cells do come in AA size usually the 14500. The problem is that these batteries,although the same size as AA, are rated at 3.6 volts compared to alkaline cells(1.5v) and Nimh cells(1.2v) So the answer would be yes if you have a regulated drive that would convert the voltage coming in from battery/s to the led. You also want to be cautious when dealing with Li-ion batteries. I would recommend you as to do a little further searching on the safeties that pertain to Li-ion batteries. Hope this helped.

Gammaray

txmatt

Enlightened
My guess is that MagLED's and dropin Mag LED replacements are probably fine on Lithium primary AA's (Energizer, Batterystation, etc). The incadescent Mag's I believe are not supposed to be run on Lithium primaries.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
JJH said:
Can the MiniMags AA & AAA LED lights run on Lithium batts? What about ones that have been converted?
Thank in advance-
JJ

If you are talking about the new MAGLED lights, I personally wrote to MAG to ask them if I could use lithiums, or rechargable NIMHs...they said that the lights weren't designed for them and using anything other than alky's would likely damage the light.

That being said, I've read on other threads that some CPFers are using lithiums and NIMHs with no problems. I guess it comes down to how daring you are and whether you're willing to risk your light going :poof: One thing to consider...I'm quite sure that if you use batteries other than those approved by MAG, you will void the warrantee. :ohgeez:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I toasted my first MMag 3AA 3watt using Energizer Lithiums...just started r unning much dimmer (40%) than normal. Lithium AA's are 1.7 volts vs. 1.5 for alkalines. Its too bad, because the lithiums make the light verry light and have a flatter runtime, about 4hrs at 100%.

Rechargables should be fine (1.2 volts) and have a similar regulated runtime like lithiums. Just be careful of what charger you use. I bought a Energizer charger and 4 2500mh batts at target for $20. Worked great the first time, but died within 20 minutes the ssecond time...apears the charger was set up to charge 2 or 4 batts.