So, who wants to nail eBay shippers overcharging?

Nomad

Enlightened
Hey, I just was browsing some flashlights and I see this jerk in Floriday trying to charge a few cents shy of $20 to priority mail a single coast LED Lenser. ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME? Ok, how about all of us who browse eBay look for these guys and report them for excessive shipping/fee avoidance? I believe the URL to report these jerks is http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/Excessive_shipping_and_handling.html?item=&dsturl=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.ebay.com%2Fhelp%2Fcontact_us%2F_base%2Findex_selection.html&tier0=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tier1=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tier2=Excessive_shipping_and_handling&continue=Continue+%3E so let me know if that works for y'all! GOD I HATE THOSE JERKS! Jacking up shipping like that totally takes away the purpose of eBay, buying decent stuff for a reasonable or cheap price. If you want to charge $15 over what it costs to ship something then start the auction $15 higher!

myk

Enlightened
Would you rather pay 5% to ebay on the $15 shipping portion or the $4 item portion if you were selling stuff on ebay? Or switch it, reverse it. 5% more on the $15 and now I have to charge you $1 more for the light

It's all total cost, who cares how they break it down? the search pages even have "total price" now so its not complete bait and screw anymore

lower overhead = lower prices = good for you

and as for "cost avoidance/shipping inflation", what if I like to give stuff away but charge DEARLY for my packaging time?

:dedhorse:

Last edited:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nomad said:
Hey, I just was browsing some flashlights and I see this jerk in Floriday trying to charge a few cents shy of $20 to priority mail a single coast LED Lenser. ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME? Ok, how about all of us who browse eBay look for these guys and report them for excessive shipping/fee avoidance? I believe the URL to report these jerks is http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/Excessive_shipping_and_handling.html?item=&dsturl=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.ebay.com%2Fhelp%2Fcontact_us%2F_base%2Findex_selection.html&tier0=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tier1=%5Bobject+Object%5D&tier2=Excessive_shipping_and_handling&continue=Continue+%3E so let me know if that works for y'all! GOD I HATE THOSE JERKS! Jacking up shipping like that totally takes away the purpose of eBay, buying decent stuff for a reasonable or cheap price. If you want to charge $15 over what it costs to ship something then start the auction $15 higher!

Yeah I hate when people sell things for more than I want to pay. They shouldn't have the right to choose their own prices. We should find a way to make them sell at the price WE want to pay THEM. Who's with me? :poke:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just wish instead of having to ADD price+shipping for items 99 cents +10.00 shipping vs items of 5.00+4.75 shipping to find out which is cheaper is a pain in the gluteous maximus. I wish they did as some price search engines do and give ranking by total cost and also remove posts that do not list shipping charges but rather make you read the posting to find them instead and find out it costs more even though the item is $2 cheaper shipping is $5 more.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
on pricewatch's site that is what they do, combine shipping/handling with item cost to arrive at actual cost and list it that way. It is a pain but clearly an attempt to avoid ebay tariff.

ken

Greta

Flashaholic
Um... I'm not a big fan of using CPF as a gathering point for a vigilante group... know what I mean? :ironic:

greenstuffs

Banned
Minjin said:
Yeah I hate when people sell things for more than I want to pay. They shouldn't have the right to choose their own prices. We should find a way to make them sell at the price WE want to pay THEM. Who's with me? :poke:
I've been selling on ebay and its pretty clear that their fees are not cheap, ebay is getting on both ends wether you sell your item or not, and worse if you have to relist the item.

You shuold all complain to ebay for jacking up the seller and paypal fees which is as much as 10% of the item. Sellers have to find a way to cover up those fees. I'm just sick of egay and don't buy any stuff there no more.

Don't forget that sellers have families and children to feed yeah you all go ahead and report them i'm sure you will sleep very well at night knowing daddy didn't make enough sales this month because his account was suspended, and don't have $$ to pay for rent because some JERK thought that is not right to charge $20 shipping for a 1 cent item. Yet the total cost of that item is cheaper than buying it locally.

Everyone has the comon sense to add cost + shipping = total cost and go for the cheapest i don't see a problem there. But your notion tells you that paying $50 shipping is not right because it doesn't cost that much at the post office and you think the seller is taking an unfair advantage, But same you'd be surprised the real cost lets say of a Fenix but no one complains because you don't know the real price. You complain because you know the real shipping charges and overcharge and think that is unfair. What would you feel if a Fenix L1Ds real cost is $5 but Fenix sells them for $50? i'm sure the "shipping fee vigilantes" would come up and tell about it.

Yet online shoppers should all declare the sales taxes for your online purchases yet most people don't do it. I guess its just double standards we all have.

You all keep up reporting fee gaugers i'm sure you'll make egay a better place.

Last edited:

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
I have had complaints about my shipping costs at $10.00.

Here was my breakdown.

Shipping, $4.05

box $1.25

packing materials $1.00, (I have to buy a big bag of peanut foam as they will not sell it by the handfull)

gasoline to/from post office $1.10 (It would be more if the standard 38 cents per mile was calculated, which covers gasoline and vehicle expenses in standard business calculations)

45 minutes to/from post office leaves $2.60 to cover my time ($3.46 per hour, with minumum wage actually being $5.15 per hour... so I am working for less than mandated federal minimum wage).

I have to ask you for more if you want the package insured.

(I did not calculate the time to buy a box & packing!)

So yes... I do really charge you $10.00 to send your item USPS Priority mail that has $4.05 shown for the fee!

SO... if you want me to jack up the buy-it-now price to cover all this, I will only charge 1 cent for shipping! Let me know which makes you feel better about the total cost... which will be exactly the same in the final calculation!!!

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problem with a seller as long as the shipping price is listed. If it is listed for all to see then there are no surprises. If you're not happy with the shipping price then do not bid. I do have a problem with sellers who do not list the shipping price. Always be careful of an ad with no shipping cost stated.

Norm

Retired Administrator
It can become a problem when you receive a faulty item and they only refund the cost less postage. So you may have thought that a 99 cent item plus $10 postage was reasonable, but if you are ever after a refund 99 cents is all you will ever see, although from the few times I have ever asked for a refund from a ebay seller (faulty merchandise) they have totally ignored all communication.
Norm

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
In good spirit, those of us here selling on CPF, eat the time to stand in line or the drive to the post office. Plus our items are usually small and easily packaged. :thumbsup:

While I feel as many here about some of the excessive costs, on that auction site. To go through the routine of packing, stuffing, taping and driving...sometimes that $10-$15 is reasonable. Certainly $15 shipping on a CD is crazy. I sold an electric toothbrush and I asked for $10 shipping but all said done, it was $18. :(

I'd simply find another seller who's shipping costs are more in line with what you expect to pay. There are plenty who do combine and have exact rates.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I estimated shipping on an item sold on BST at $15 actual cost was $28 which I covered, never even received thanks or confirmation from the buyer that the goods were ever received.
Norm

atm

Enlightened
fnmag said:
I have no problem with a seller as long as the shipping price is listed. If it is listed for all to see then there are no surprises. If you're not happy with the shipping price then do not bid. I do have a problem with sellers who do not list the shipping price. Always be careful of an ad with no shipping cost stated.
+1

swampgator

Enlightened
I've seen it both ways, both as a buyer and seller. I personally won't pay insane shipping for an item from anybody. Much less $40 for a memory card the size of a postage stamp. So what if it cost $3. Like someone said earlier they're only going to refund $3. So I'll buy from someone selling the same thing for $35 with $5 shipping. More refund protection.

I've dealt with people who when asked for a shipping estimate gave me the exact postager cost to ship. No mark ups at all. I've had people charge $6 for shipping only to ship the item in an envelope that cost seventy-five cents to mail.

I listed a pair of combat boots with $15 shipping. Before you think that is too much, the boots cost $9 to ship from GA to FL 10 years ago. So I felt that was an appropiate amount considering I could possibly have to ship them from FL to Washington state. If people didn't like it, they didn't have to bid.

I figure it this way. You know what you're getting into before you ever confirm a bid. You have no reason to complain.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice idea, but eBay does not follow up on improper listings. I've tried repeatedly to get help with fraudulent lighting product listings. The listings stay up and unchanged, even if they violate the laws of physics. All those rules they have are window dressing. They are not enforced.

Nomad

Enlightened
Exactly, those of you who noted that you'd only get 99 cents back from the seller are spot on. Plus it really screws up searches (be nice if eBay had a total price column). What hurts though is that some sellers don't list a shipping cost in their auction and hit you with unreasonable shipping fees jacking after the fact, jacking up the price above retail! And eBay often sides with the sellers in those cases unless the shipping was REALLY insane. I had one guy do that on a letter opener type knife that was about 7" long and weighed perhaps 3 or 4 ounces (I owned an identical model right before I lost everything and was familiar with it). He tried to charge me $12 shipping when I'd already won the knife for about $4, this thing retailed at local stores, when they had them in stock (which they didn't currently), for about $5-6. I pretty much told the guy to get bent.

Sellers that aren't honest about shipping prices and include them in their auction really do suck. There's nothing wrong with adding a "handling" charge to cover your reasonable expenses for packaging/travel time/gasoline...I don't expect anyone to work for free! And eBay lets you put your handling fee in the auction and in the shipping calculators...what's wrong with expecting sellers to be straight with their customers?

Now I agree that eBay's fees can hurt...they are a bit much, especially when you have to relist an item. Plus their picture hosting fees are uncool. They have no justification raising their fees when the large majority of those fees are based on a percentage of the sale price because as inflation and costs go up, so do sale prices. Listing fees should be kept low, it encourages people to list more "bargain" items!

gorn

Enlightened
Nomad said:
(be nice if eBay had a total price column).

You can turn that option on in the personal preferences. I have mine show that on the search page. Even with stated shipping prices I dislike the people that sell things cheap, say $4.99 and then have shipping set at $50+. It's obvious these people are skirting the ebay fees by doing that. As soon as I see that I move on to a reasonable seller.

cal..45

Enlightened
@ greenstuffs,

:twothumbs I couldn't agree more with your statement. its exactly how I see things too. ebay and paypal fees have reached a ridiculous high level, i call it rip-off. if one have a problem with shipping costs, fine be that way. just don't buy from this seller - period. i don't see any reason to complain about, the only thing to complain about is ebay/paypal's "policy" itself.

regards, holger

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold some items on eBay and I had complains about high shipping charges... Most of the time I ended up giving free shipping but higher auction price... A lot higher! It seems that some people are really attracted by FREE SHIPPING...

I live in Canada and the problem is that Canada Post fees are crazy... They are a lot higher than USA. If I take for example a Fenix L2D. It costs around $1.90 USD to ship to Canada. Since L2D is thicker than 2cm, I cannot use lettermail. I must use small packet USA or parcel inside Canada. Small packet USA is at minimum $7.50 CAD (including taxes) and it's worse within Canada. Parcel price is calculated based on distance. So it may cost up to $12 CAD (including taxes) to ship the same L2D within Canada. Now if I sell it on eBay, what should I put for shipping price??? Most people will feel overcharged by shipping. In fact they are! But not by me... But I will get the blame for high shipping charges...

Latest posts