Surefire E1e with SSC-P4

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello:)

Thanks to "Oldgrandpajack" for the nice E1e HA black, "Icarus" for breaking me in modding and supplying with modding stuff:)

Now the object was the E1e.

At first I tried to open the head......:sweat:.......after cooking half an hour I got it opened.
But.....the window broke:awman:.

Next step was, boring, filing and sanding down to remove the reflector and widen the head........what a hard work:sweat:.

After that, I had to shorten the McR20 reflector, at the back for fitting the SSC and at the front side for installing into the head. I sanded it down.

Ok, now I had to find a replacement window.....hmmm, the idea;).

I had an old Mag plastic-window......but no lathe. I drawed the size of the lens to the nicest part of the Mag-window and sawed it by hand round about.Then I took a stainless nail and glued a blobb with a hot-glue-gun to the nailhead and placed it in about the middle of the window.

Edit because forgot to mention: Now I could use the nail in my boring-machine.:)

That was my "hand-lathe":lolsign:

This way, I sanded the window down with sandpaper. But be careful at the end, better often testing the diameter.
It worked very well. With a finger-nail I could easy remove the glue/nail from the window, without any residues.:)

Now I had to create a propper heatsink. I took a copper endcap (gas/water line) and finished it for fitting.

Take a look here:

Heatsink-1.jpg

After that, I installed a Flupic at the backside of the heatsink, wired all together..........but it hasn't fit the light like I wished:awman:.

I could had made it fitting but with too many agreements about the heatsink/ shorter reflector.

So I decided to go the DD-route. Disassembling the Flupic.....new wiring.... To isolate the +pole for the batterie I sawed a thin plate from an old fishing rod, made from glas-fibre. In the middle I rivet the +wire and soldered a blob to the rivet (which I pressed into the rivet-hole and filed it even).

And that's the look of the backside:

Lightengine.jpg

After a longer time than expected, I finished my little beauty:grin2:.

Here a picture with my Fenix P1D-CE:

SFundFenix.jpg

Now the performance:).

She is brighter than expected. I measured 600mA with a fresh charged RCR123 cell.
Perfect beam (for narrow and medium tasks) without artefacts and large hotspot.
Very nice warm tint. And.......brighter than my Fenix with fresh RCR123, 3.0V cell:grin2:.

Take a look:

BeamshotP1D-CEundSFE1e-SSC.jpg

Fenix on high (boost) at the left side, distance 8m to the wall.
Look at the shadows of the camera. You can see the more detailed shadow at the left side, aroused through the SF-SSC, so you can imagine the brighter overall output.

Runtime should be more than 1 hour.

Can I recommend this mod?

Absolutely yes, but only when you will be patient and efforts time:whistle:

Very best regards

_______
Tom:wave:

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting to convert my EXe head to an LED setup, but the filing and boring seems too time consuming and difficult (and I have a tendency to destroy things when I try stuff like that). I took my blown MN03 LA, took the bulb out (there's epoxy stuff in there), filed down a Nichia CS 5mm LED, and stuck that in there (wires twisted together as I can't seem to solder to the metal parts of the MN03 base)...not bright, but something I can use until my replacement MN03 comes in.

I'd prefer to keep the stock reflector, but seeing as the finish is very sensitive, I don't see how I'd bore out the rear section to both make it flat and enlarge the hole w/o getting bits in the reflector messing it up. After that, I'd have to try to find a setup to hold the LED and driver.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
:goodjob: So when are you gonna start building us some nice multi-emitter set-ups....I could use a multi-CREE light :whistle: :grin2: :laughing:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much guys for the kindly comments:)

Strauss, that's the territory of Freddy. I'm responsible for the "hard-core-mods" with basic equipment:lolsign:

Very best regards

_____
Tom

Abumustafa

Enlightened
Wasssuuupppp So you guys are the modders on here i presume i have a Smartfire CR2 light that i want to mod to Cree i was wanderin if any1 is willing to mod it for me as you can see am all new to this an am willing to pay any labour costs :laughing: or if you could recommend sum1 in the United kingdom that will be able to mod 4me, very gratefull Thanks in advance!!!

Sorry here is the light that i want to MOD:)

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1062

Kind Regards

Musa

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much Ganp:grin2:

Thanks to the great McR-reflector quality I noticed while other mods, that the cooperation between the SSC's and the McR's are a perfect match.
I got minimum the same good results with Luxeons like, after conforming the reflectors:thumbsup:

Abumustafa, I don't know the light at your link in natural. So I don't know if it will be easy to open or not.
Due to the LuxI circuit, a swap to the SSC-Led would give propably an improvement, but perhaps not that much like you expect.
For sure not comparable with the result of my SF-SSC.

IMO it's not worth all the trouble with postage......for this light.
When you will try it by yourself, why not. But if you are looking for a high quality light take a look at "Custom and Mod B/S/T" forum.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Awesome mod. There's been talk of doing something like this for a long time. Glad someone finally got it to work out.

How are you liking it so far?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
Wow! Awesome mod. There's been talk of doing something like this for a long time. Glad someone finally got it to work out.

How are you liking it so far?

Hello Alin:)

I love her :kiss:...:twothumbs Still very bright with the first RCR:rock: Runtime should be far more than one hour.
I measured yet 400mA.

She has the best useful beam of all my single Led-lights up to 30 meter (incl. LuxV lights) and the quality of the beamshape is perfect.

My friends couldn't believe the output. Today I got a "dress" for her:grin2:.
I will post a picture tomorrow.

Very best regards

_____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I did 2 more beamshots.

First Fenix P1D-CE on high, distance to the caravan 20 meters:

FenixP1D-CE.jpg

Now my SF-mod:

SFE1e-SSC.jpg

Best regards

_____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the continuation of my mod, the end-finish:grin2:.

I got a watchglas at a local watchmaker, but I had to reduce the diameter 1mm with the same method like descripted above........it worked well, but needs much more time than with the plastic:sweat:

Furthermore I added a McE2s 2-stage switch with 22Ohms resistor into the stock tailcap.
It works:

Twist = constant low Twisting further = constant high

Push to the momentary tailcap-rubber button = momentary low
Further press = momentary high

The output at Low is nearly the same like a stock Fenix L1P (I moded my L1P with another Led, so I couldn't make a comparison beamshot).

But now the best:grin2:

I have made a runtime test with a RCR123 LiIon, 3,7V 750mAh

After 9 hours constant on on low, the batterie measures 3,71V without load.

During these 9 hours, I pushed often to high to ensure, that the cell will not reach the critical voltage of the undervoltage-protection (protected cell).

So within these 9 hours low are also a few minutes at high.

Here the beamshots after 9 hours runtime. Distance to the caravan is 10m.

10mlownach9Std.jpg

And here on high, after 9 hours on low:

10mhighnach9Stdauflow.jpg

I stopped the test after these 9 hours, to protect the cell.

But it's comforting to know, that the light would work a whole night, if it has to be.:grin2:

Very best regards

_____
Tom

Ganp

Enlightened
:goodjob: This mod' seems to be working out really well Tom.

That runtime on low makes for a VERY usefull EDC.

Between this and your Long Tom project you must be having loads of fun ;)

Colin.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Colin:)

Yes I have much fun while modding:grin2:

It's a perfect EDC due to its simplicity and the 2 perfect brightness settings with the long runtime.

For me, more useful than my P1D-CE with SF-tailcap.

Very best regards

_____
Tom

Latest posts