Can I use Militec to lube O-rings ??

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Not really. Not well. Stick to ye olde Silicone Grease from your local Lowe's or Home Despot or purse out for something that's designed for flashlights and electrical contacts like Nyogel.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Wait, bollocks! Just realized you're in the UK. No idea what hardware stores you may have over there. Either way. My suggestion stands.

AArcVarc

Newly Enlightened
Petroleum jelly bka Vaseline in the USA is all that is needed. You may use any lubricant you like and it all keeps the rubber o-ring pliable and the aluminum oxide at bay and resist moisture.

JML

Enlightened
The compatibility of greases/lubes and O-rings depends on the material used to make the O-ring and whether or not the grease is built on petroleum oil. For that reason, it is generally best to stay away from vaseline and petroleum-based products. The safest thing to do is to use synthetic-base greases, such as Nyogel or Superlube, which will not attack the elastomer in the O-ring. Furthermore, you want something that will not "creep" and wick away from where it's placed -- vaseline can end up coating things far from the place you want it, esp. if stored in a hot environment.

DM51

Flashaholic
NO. Go to a dive shop and get some proper O-ring silicon grease. Do NOT use any petroleum-based product.

How many times do there have to be threads asking this same question before people learn to use the search function?

AArcVarc said:
Petroleum jelly bka Vaseline in the USA is all that is needed. You may use any lubricant you like and it all keeps the rubber o-ring pliable and the aluminum oxide at bay and resist moisture.
AArcVarc, that is extremely bad advice. Please do not give advice unless you know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to reinforce the post above (NO), the plastic bottle in which I bought my current supply of Militec has turned brownish (from clear) and become very brittle over the past few years. I would NOT trust it not to adversely affect an o-ring.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
JML said:
The compatibility of greases/lubes and O-rings depends on the material used to make the O-ring and whether or not the grease is built on petroleum oil. For that reason, it is generally best to stay away from vaseline and petroleum-based products. The safest thing to do is to use synthetic-base greases, such as Nyogel or Superlube, which will not attack the elastomer in the O-ring. Furthermore, you want something that will not "creep" and wick away from where it's placed -- vaseline can end up coating things far from the place you want it, esp. if stored in a hot environment.

He knows what he is talking about.
I know it to be a "FACT".
(don't ask how I know)
I will NEVER use vaseline, Ever!!!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Militec has been known to attack certain rubbers and plastics used in firearms stocks and orings in the past, so no, not a good idea.

Skibane

Enlightened
Sil-Glyde works very well, is cheap (under 7 bucks for a large tube), and available at just about any auto parts store (NAPA, Auto Zone, etc.). It's silicone-based, resists high temperatures, and is compatible with virtually all rubber types (commonly used on brake system caliper pins, boots and dust seals).

Also wonderful for lubricating slides on firearms.

SilGlydeLubeZ90939.jpg

JML

Enlightened
I forgot to include this in my earlier note.

Militec-1 is a great product, but it's a metal conditioner (whether you use the oil or the grease). If you read the manufacturer's information, you'll see that it's intended to be applied to metal, and that you have to heat the metal to get the Militec-1 to bond, and you wipe off the excess after it cools (you can repeat this process). It fills microscopic pores in the metal. Originally designed for guns, but it can be used in auto engines. Great on folding knife pivots (Benchmade used to sell it) because once you heat it up and wipe off the excess, it doesn't attract dust and dirt.

Militec has a synthetic oil base, but it may not always be plastic- or rubber-compatible.

For more info on lubes, see the Nye website. If you want small amounts of Nye greases, you can get their stuff from here. Superlube is made by Snyco, and they have a website, too. Consumers can order directly from them.

Superlube is great stuff, but the Nyogel is even better, IMHO The Nye products do cost more, but the quality is worth it. I have used Superlube grease as a bicycle parts grease, and in things like ratchet wrenches, and have used it on threaded flashlight parts. Superlube is clear, stays in place, and doesn't harden or go rancid (which many white lithium greases will do over time) but Nyogel is made specifically for aluminum threaded parts and is more viscous -- it stays in place even better.

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For knives, its always been Militech grease treatment, then tuff glide for oiling.
O-rings? PURE silicone gel

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium grease or better yet Silicone grease is best lube on threads and o-rings. ( just a small amount will do).
Petroleum jelly will swell and degrade o-rings.

Last edited:

Latest posts