Cleaning reflectors?

city cop

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know how to clean a reflector without scratching it? say a Mc20. And, can a reflector be refinished? :popcorn:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have cleaned them with a microfiber soft polishing rag
a q-tip used lightly, cause it will scratch
99.1% rubbing Alcohol, when i got my fingers on them
Air compressor , when it was just dust
soap and water , when it was metal
Waxed when it was metal.

some of these cheap plastic reflectors die fast when you have to start messing with them in any way. they can just fall apart literally, the best for them is to be very nice. some of them suck so bad, the thin layer isnt even complete.
metal reflectors are like , , , well like metal they are very durable but can still be scratched.

Chrome could potentially be re-coated on a chromed metal reflector, plastic can be replaced. there are Chrome paints, but nowhere Near the reflective quality needed.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found out the hard way to not polish stock MagLite reflectors. I was using a small buffing pad attached to my power drill. I was REALLY inpressed with the amount of muck it was fetching out. Then I realised the muck was metallic in colour, and my reflector had taken on a blue tinge.....

.....oh well, perfectly good excuse for ordering a FiveMega Dual Function MOP Reflector. Just as soon as I have PayPal set up that is.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to search for previous threads on this topic -- it comes up pretty often.

Having said that, very often (but not always) it comes down to polishing or cleaning only if a). you have a replacement available, b). you're willing to live with the possibility of damaging the reflector if all doesn't go well (and start out VERY carefully), or c). you can forget about cleaning and learn to live with what was there in the first place that made you think about cleaning it. YMMV, but be very cautious just to be sure since relector coatings are very fragile.