L2D CE: Reply to questions needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I never got any answer to the clicky problem (how to exchange it).

I just received my L2D CE from fenix-store.com. REALLY bright light! But I have some questions:

1) There was a spare clicky button enclosed, but how do you change it?

2) The clicky button that is on the end now domes a bit outward. Is that normal? I have not used the light more than a couple of short times just to test it out. But the domed clicky makes the flashlight wabble a bit if you want to let it stand on its tail to use it as a candle.

3) IF dust comes into the reflector, what can I do?

gunga

Flashaholic
Unscrew the tail cap and look inside. You will see an aluminum ring surrounding the spring. There are 2 holes in it. You can use various tools (needle nose pliers, or a snap ring wrench) to loosen the ring. This will get you access to the switch, then you can change the switch cover or switch if you like. This should allow you to re-adjust the clicky button cover too. They are usually pretty flush. I think mine domes out a tiny bit too. I believe it may be due to trapped gas as you screw in the tail cap. You could try releasing it (sometimes people put a pinhole in their click cover).

It doesn't really bother me, so I don't bother with it.

If you look at the head, you will see it is actually 2 pieces. These are usually glued/loctited together quite well. Many people have been unscrewing them (I did) but it takes effort, some rubber gloves/bands for grip and some patience. I've heard you can loosen it up with a hairdrier but I just went at it for a good 10+ minutes of steady and slow unscrewing.

You can unscrew it just a bit to help focus the beam somewhat (helps get rid of some of the rings, tho it can add artifacts to the hot spot). I ended up unscrewing it all the way. Note that there will a lot of dried glue n stuff when you unscrew the head. Carefully clean this up, making sure it doesn't get into the reflector etc...

I lubed up the threads and o-ring. Not such a good idea, when I try to change modes I end up refocusing the lense. Yikes!

A bit of teflon tape solved that and allows me to adjust focus a bit. Moral: Don't lube the o-ring/threads if you want the head to stay put (D'oh!).

Anyways, when you take the head apart, you'll see the reflector can be unscrewed using the pliers, just like the tail switch. Now you can clean the reflector (fragile!) if you want.

I really don't think a little dust is that big a deal. Just enjoy your light!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
dang i saw a thread that had the change in it, with pics
the button cover is being called a "tailcap boot" or "Switch boot"
but the search turns up way to many items :-(

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Gunga! That was a very precise answer! I really appreciate that!

I am amazed by the THROW (sorry for "shouting") of the L2D CE. I opened my window at night at lit up some buildings quite far away (I guess like 50 meters) and my Wiseled Tactical wasn't much better at throwing. Really cool light, that L2D CE is! :goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.