Out of control EDC lights... do I need help?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

My EDC light situation seems slightly out of control to me lately. Here are the details.

I carry 2 lights on my keychain, a White Inova X1 (new reflector version) and a CMG Infinity Ultra (Red LED version). For several months, until a little over two weeks ago, I carried a Surefire Kroma in my left pocket for times when I needed more light, or if one of my keychain lights failed.

Recently, since I replaced my Surefire A2 that I sold early last year, things have been a bit different. I've been EDC'ing a PAIR of A2's in my left pocket instead of the Kroma, one Red A2 and one White A2. I keep them separated by a small nylon pouch with a multitool, so they don't scratch each other's finish.

I keep saying to myself that four EDC lights is just too many... and that maybe I could get by with just two. I read comments on CPF where forum members are carrying a single AAA light, and wonder why I can't be more like that... but I always think it kind of half-heartedly. The truth of the matter is that I actually ENJOY having the Surefires and keychain lights with me all the time - I know that I will never be without light, in any situation, regardless of battery drain or other unforseen circumstances.

Does anyone else here think that maybe I've gone off the "flashaholic" deep-end in this respect? Does anyone else here EDC so many lights or think that this is by any stretch of the imagination acceptable or sane?

Best wishes,
Bawko

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
If I only had the pockets to carry the same amount of lights I would do that to! :)

Maybe not two A2:s but one, I havent ever needed a red light so I dont see the point. But if you got room in your pocket I would continue to carry the A2!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself carry at least 2-3 lights all the time(counting my LOD on keychain). When I go out at night with a coat, I take advantage of the extra pocket space and will bring along something with a lot of "punch".

As far as you going overboard with your EDC, I think you are just fine :) You are just a person that likes lights like the rest of us, might as well carry a few on ya to play with right :naughty:

crocodilo

Enlightened
If I'm at home or going out on a controlled environment in daylight, I'll only carry a single AAA flashlight. When going out at night, controlled environment, I'll take an AA flashlight. If going out for some more time or distance, both the AA and the AAA will be carried. My Surefires are only taken when I foresee to use them.

Note: by controlled environment I mean short sorties, near home.

kaseri

Enlightened
I usually carry two lights. An Arc AAA on my key ring & an M6 or an L1 in my bag. There is really no rhyme or reason to which light I take with me. I just take which ever I feel like carrying that day.

orange1

Newly Enlightened
I carry an Arc AAA on key chain - A sure E2 Exec in my organizer - and a Pelican 2370 M3 hanging from a water bottle carabiner from my jean's belt loop. I have lots of surefires, including the new Kroma Military Spec - which I really like - but not for EDC. Also I like the Pelikan not just as a 3 W light but because if can be used as a self defense weapon just in case as a cat. 3 (cat 1 - is a gun, cat 2 is a knife, cat 3 - anything else!)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!

My EDC light situation seems slightly out of control to me lately. Here are the details.

I carry 2 lights on my keychain, a White Inova X1 (new reflector version) and a CMG Infinity Ultra (Red LED version). For several months, until a little over two weeks ago, I carried a Surefire Kroma in my left pocket for times when I needed more light, or if one of my keychain lights failed.

Recently, since I replaced my Surefire A2 that I sold early last year, things have been a bit different. I've been EDC'ing a PAIR of A2's in my left pocket instead of the Kroma, one Red A2 and one White A2. I keep them separated by a small nylon pouch with a multitool, so they don't scratch each other's finish.

I keep saying to myself that four EDC lights is just too many... and that maybe I could get by with just two. I read comments on CPF where forum members are carrying a single AAA light, and wonder why I can't be more like that... but I always think it kind of half-heartedly. The truth of the matter is that I actually ENJOY having the Surefires and keychain lights with me all the time - I know that I will never be without light, in any situation, regardless of battery drain or other unforseen circumstances.

Does anyone else here think that maybe I've gone off the "flashaholic" deep-end in this respect? Does anyone else here EDC so many lights or think that this is by any stretch of the imagination acceptable or sane?

Best wishes,
Bawko

what you gonna do with the rest 3 A2s?

I carry an HDS, a ARc and a A2 in the pack but am a little worried of getting mugged. the new thing around my area is groups of 5-6 Hispanic or Black kids beating people up and taking all their stuff, knowing that the school bans knives and no one who goes to school is allowed or licensed to carry protection tools. My situation at school means I'm a sitting duck for robberies and there is nothing I can do about it. I can't wait to get out of school and be in a little less crime-ridden area.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
what you gonna do with the rest 3 A2s?

I carry an HDS, a ARc and a A2 in the pack but am a little worried of getting mugged. the new thing around my area is groups of 5-6 Hispanic or Black kids beating people up and taking all their stuff, knowing that the school bans knives and no one who goes to school is allowed or licensed to carry protection tools. My situation at school means I'm a sitting duck for robberies and there is nothing I can do about it. I can't wait to get out of school and be in a little less crime-ridden area.

Boy, I remember when school WAS the safe place to be :sigh: And that wasn't even too long ago...

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I don't think you've gone off the deep end. Do what makes you happy.:grin2: No one is promised tomorrow.

EV_007

Enlightened
I tried carrying more than 6 lights once, but it got a bit heavy, and more chance of me leaving one behind somewhere. If I know I'm going out into the night to play, I bring more, but for EDC, I try to limit the overall bulk.

I try to rotate the bulk of my EDC for variety. Today I have the SF 9P P91 and SF E2E in my coat pockets and the Arc-P and the SF E1E in my pants pockets. I still think it's too many, but the 1AAA variety of LEDs has become some of my favorites due to their low profile.

My girlfriend thinks I'm out of control. If she knew the real cost of my light(s) she'd be horrified. In fact, I'm a bit horrified myself.

As a CPF memeber, you'll find out that your EDC will never stay constant.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Atomic_Chicken said:
I keep saying to myself that four EDC lights is just too many...

Hey hey hey, don't be blasphemin' now. :laughing:

Consider that some of us are going to be envious at what you fit as an EDC. (I can't afford to carry one A2, let alone two :awman:) Most who only carry 1 or 2 EDCs do it because we can't jam any more into our pockets without being scorned by our partners, not because we feel like it's enough. :D

Anyway, 4's not a bad number. I'm usually at 3. A red Microlight, a Sonic, and some sort of primary - right now it's a Bolt2AA, otherwise a MinimagLED3AA or an X03.

Wyeast

Enlightened
EV_007 said:
My girlfriend thinks I'm out of control. If she knew the real cost of my light(s) she'd be horrified.
EV_007 said:
As a CPF memeber, you'll find out that your EDC will never stay constant.

Two statements have never been more true for so so many of us. :grin2:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY said:
I only carry two lights on me, the Fenix L1D CE in my pocket and LOD CE on my keychain

This is pretty much what I carry (well similar anyway). I carry a Fenix EO on my keychain and my Jetbeam C-LE in my pocket.

I kinda think you are going out of control with the huge lights on your keychain. To be honest it must look pretty damn rediculous with an Inova X1 on your keychain, and even the Infinity is way too big to be on a keychain (IMO).

Why do you carry two A2's? Have you ever actually needed both of them? I personally have never needed a red LED light, so I don't really understand why some people do.
If you enjoy carrying all of these then by all means do, but I was just seeing if you do or not.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, one main EDC and a (small) backup should be sufficient. I usually EDC my Cree ML1 and my Arc AAA-P goes with me everywhere. Both have good runtimes and the ML1 puts out about 75 lumens when I need it. I think one A2 should do you fine and one keychain light, the X1, IMO. If the X1 is white, then go with the A2-HA-RD as your other light.

ScooterBug

Enlightened
2 lights only for me. LOD on key ring and whatever else i need in right front pocket. i have other things i carry and have no more room for other lights.:)

bobbomatic

Newly Enlightened
Right now my EDC (flashlight-wise) consists of an INOVA microlight and princeton tec pulsar on my keychain, a gerber sonic in my right cargo pocket with my wallet, a Surefire E1L/SF G2 with BOG 3wattLED bulb, and either an Inova x5 or a Fenix L2T.

5 isn't to bad when 3 of them are keychain sized.

PARIS

Newly Enlightened
Interesting Thread,
Much can be said nowadays concerning EDC and the lack of pocket space due
to loose change, keys, etc.
Its better to consider to have having sufficient multi-purpose objects such as
a Good flashlight, Leatherman and keep items such as these in your vehicle.
A compact light on your keychain is handy but what if you misplace the keys
or lock them accidently in your vehicle?
I recommend to carry a compact light on you such as a Jetbeam or a Fenix, and
there are plenty other good lights to consider as well.
For the Ladies, i recommend the same along with Mace, pepper spray, and practice
kicking in your Stilletoes right where it counts.
Having a light handy can make a big difference.
I remember once being stuck in an elevator in Beverly Hills Ca., no light, no phone!
Imagine that, or being in a movie theatre and having a power outage.
In consideration of these things, i highly recommend to carry a good light,
With the perspective of safety its also advised to maintain a good amount of
"situation awareness"
I also keep 2 MagLights in my vehicle, in my Calvin Klein travel bag a Streamlight TL-3 (200 Lumens) and a UK CL eLED Dive Light (170 Lumens). ( More lights on the way)
As for the Ladies, they have the advantage with having purses to carry all their
essential accesories, products, so theres no excuse for not having a small light.

Jetbeam, Never leave home without it.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
EV_007 said:
My girlfriend thinks I'm out of control. If she knew the real cost of my light(s) she'd be horrified. In fact, I'm a bit horrified myself.
Funny! I was about to advise "Switch girlfriends," but she's right...about you, about all of us.

EV_007 said:
As a CPF member, you'll find out that your EDC will never stay constant.
Truer words were never written!

My EDC is a 2x168A Wolf Eyes with a Surefire P91 lamp. Its length lets it double as a defensive weapon.

But this setup will last only about 40 minutes. It's nice to have a multihour light, and that means LED. I was going to buy a premium 1AAA light. But the fact is, my keyring always has four or five 50-cent 10mm LED squeezers (from Quality China Goods or SZ Wholesale) to give to children. In a blackout, I'd just use one of these.