Mag mod range

roadie

Enlightened
jus a thought, i can only illum objects out to jus less than 30 metres or abt 98 feet.

best at 20 metres at best ...

my is a 12V 65w at 10 degree lamp ....

hows the rest of the magmods doing?
pics?

:grin2:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
About 120 meters with my mag85 and litho123's LOP reflector. I got a hot driver burning my bulb nice and bright at 11.5V.

I don't have time to do pics though

roadie

Enlightened
arrrrrrrrrr dop

well .... u get what u pay ...... shall start saving ..... :(

250 metres! any pics?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are giving distances with quite a bit of ambient light, right? Just last night, I tried my SSC-modded HDS Basic42 and at a measured 85 yards (~80 meters) it lights up the trees quite effectively. I could identify someone at that distance with the HDS and it's probably putting out about 80 lumens. This is a VERY rural area, it was overcast and there is ZERO ambient light though. And even the little Inova Radiant 2xAAA light which is probably 10-12 lumens, I could identify an animal was a fox rather than a raccoon or possum from that same 85 yards.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's just trying to clarify, roadie, and that's cool.. and he does have a point, what are the full meanings of "range" here?? it's kinda one of those things that would be different for every person..

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I wasn't trying to 'compare' and HDS to a Hotwire Mag mod, I just meant that with basically zero ambient light, an ~80 Lumen single LED light in a small reflector can easily get past 100 yards while while your MUCH brighter light is having trouble going 25% of that distance.

I did a couple brighter hotwires, but right now the brightest incand lights I have are a Streamlight TL-3 and a ROP Low and in those low ambient light conditions, they can both EASILY throw WAY past 100 yards.

For the most part, almost any hotwire over 200 lumens in a smooth or LOP reflector should be able to effortlessly illuminate well beyond 100 yards.