• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ::More Available!!:: 8-16-07:: Coast Focusing Lenser w/Seoul P4 $69 Shipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: (9-10-07) Several lights are available for immediate shipment.

If you would like to order one, just send me a private message here CPF, or you can email me at [email protected]
Please see info about international shipping below.

This light has been labeled a "must have" for flashaholics...not by me, but by some happy customers. I do happen to agree, though! See for yourself...check out posts #173, 222, 271, 373, and 414.

Here's a list of other positive testimonials:
#36, 45, 70, 106, 108, 110, 113, 125, 143, 155, 168, 170, 171, 177, 181, 190, 217, 226, 236, 252, 261, 281, 286, 314, 318 340, 370, 372, 436, 438, 442, 444, and 445. Or you can save time by just ordering one to see for yourself!

Here's a list of the unsatisfied customers:

0. Yep, that's right...0!

I've modded and sold 50+ of these, and everyone has been happy with theirs! One person did return his because he didn't like the fit of it in his hand, but he did like the performance. I chalk that up to personal preference, rather than dissatisfaction.

Coast Focusing Lensers (Hokus Fokus) professionally upgraded with SSC P4 LEDs, SWO white tint. Quality original P4 LEDs from original packaging used...no questionable "off-shore" varieties.

These lights are already amazing, but with the addition of the Seoul P4, they're absolutely incredible!! Others have done this mod here too, and are blown away by the results. One of the great features of this light is that it has a TRUE momentary-on, tactical style switch. This light in stock form already has one of the brightest, most powerful beams for the money. With the Seoul P4, it blows away just about anything in it's class. According to SSC's spec sheet, the P4 can put out up to 240 lumens at 1000 mA. After lens losses, I'm conservatively guessing that these put out 150 to 170 "real" lumens out the front.

The lights are absoulutely brand new, but will not come with the original packaging. They will come with the original holster and a fresh set of alkaline batteries. The original lanyard is also not included, however, it WILL come with an even better, more heavy-duty lanyard. These lights sell like hot-cakes at Lowes for $49.95 plus tax, with the stock emitter. For a little more, you can have one that's twice as impressive!! I have many lights, and can honestly say that this is my favorite. It's the one that stays on the night stand, and is the only one I grab for "Did you hear that noise?" duties.

The price will be $69, shipping included! Sales to the U.S. only. Paypal only.

For International shipments, CPF member "Unforgiven" offers a small-package forwarding service for a small fee. Details can be found in his thread: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=141638

These will be periodically available as supply permits. Please refer to top of this thread for updates on availability.

Thanks!!

Here's part of the info sheet that I include with each light....I figured I should post it here as well.

Use only alkaline or Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) AAA batteries. Do not use Lithium rechargeable AAA's as their voltage is too high and will destroy the LED and can pose a fire hazard. Non-rechargeable Lithium batteries such as Energizer E2 Lithium drive the light a bit too hard and are not recommended.

Okay, with that out of the way, I'd like to make a few points about the light. NiMH rechargeable batteries work best in this light because they are able to maintain voltage very well under load. Using these, you should get 45 minutes to an hour of near full brightness, then the output will quickly dim. Alkaline batteries work fine, but they will sag in voltage in just a few minutes of operation, resulting in less than maximum light output. For intermittent use, it's not that noticeable.

The Seoul P4 LED used in the conversion has a different beam pattern than the original Luxeon LED. The good part is that the beam is a bit wider than the Luxeon and at the same time, brighter. The bad part of this is that the Seoul doesn't work as flawlessly with the optics in the flashlight compared to the Luxeon. This is only a concern for those who like to "white wall hunt". I shine all of my lights on the walls inside my house all the time, so I do my fair share of this too…as I suspect most "flashaholics" do. You'll notice a couple of prism type reflections and a faint yellow ring at the edge of the beam. The yellow is a reflection from the LED's phosphor base. Typical reflectors are designed to minimize this. I don't mean to scare you with this info, just want to let you know that it's due to the different beam pattern of the Seoul LED. When you actually use the light outdoors, none of that will be noticeable…you'll just say "wow, this thing is bright!"

Here are some pictures of the light and its construction...taken on 7-12-07. The last picture shows the Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power P4 LED (SSC P4) mounted.

dsc04989wb7.jpg

dsc04987oe1.jpg

dsc04983pz5.jpg

dsc04984ju1.jpg

dsc04991gg8.jpg

SSC P4 installed
dsc04980aj9.jpg

Here are some beamshots of a stock Focusing Lenser, and my SSC P4 modded version. Distance to the shed is about 50 feet. Both lights were using Eneloop NiMH cells. Enjoy!

The white shed probably isn't the best subject, since any extra brightness gets washed out. You can see the difference better if you look at the grass and foliage that's at the edge of the beams. At some point I'll get some beamshots taken at longer distances...longer distances are where the difference really shows. Remember, the Focusing Lenser in stock form is a great light to begin with!

More beamshots, from Lite_me, are in post #268. His shots are great! You can click on them to enlarge, too!

Stock, Narrow focus
dsc05152qa4.jpg

SSC Modded, Narrow focus
dsc05151jd0.jpg

Stock, Wide focus
dsc05155cn1.jpg

SSC Modded, Wide focus
dsc05154ot4.jpg

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Coast Focusing Lenser w/Seoul P4 $69 Shipped!

:poke: Go ahead, you can use my pictures... I don't mind :)

I think it costs about that much to buy a Luxeon one shipped on-line. That's a fantastic price.

I'm glad you found a source for hosts at a discount price. You are doing your fellow CPF'ers a favor here!

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Put me on the list please.

Do you have pics of one of these that you've already modded?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks EngrPaul! Thanks for the offer to use your pictures, which are great by the way! I'd feel uncomfortable doing that, but hey everyone, go check out his pictures! :lolsign: Seriously though, you do great work!

I'll have to get some of my own pictures here, hopefully by the end of next week. I won't have another conversion to take pictures of until then. Edit: Ok, following a link to EngrPaul's pictures is no longer necessary...I now have my own posted. :grin2:

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

dammitjim said:
Put me on the list please.

Do you have pics of one of these that you've already modded?

Hopefully by the end of next week...

Thanks for your interest, you'll get first priority if this goes through!

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you modded one of these yet?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

dammitjim said:
Have you modded one of these yet?

Yes I have, just my personal one. (Update, 7-14-07: Well, now I've done over 30 of these. :)) I'm waiting on some Seoul emitters to come in, so I stole the P4 emitter out of my MTE light. It was a temporary install, as I took the emitter back out of the Coast to put back in the MTE (another one of my favorite lights by the way, just a different beam pattern than the Coast). While the emitter was out, I just had to experiment with it, and ended up burning it out. :ohgeez: I don't have any other P4 emitters on hand, so I'll have to wait until more come in.

The conversion isn't too bad, the hardest part on mine was removing the head. Mine had lots of threadlock on it and was more difficult to remove than other lights I've done, such as the Blimp and Vinet. The rest is intricate, but not terribly difficult. The wires to the LED are fine gauge, and you have to exercise caution to preserve the integrity of the insulation. Actually I had a spare emitter from a Vinet and installed it in the Coast out of curiosity. I left it in there, as it has a better tint than what originally came in the Coast.

Last edited:

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened

Put me on the list for one. When do expect the emitters and how turn around time after you received the emitters?

Thanks

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

You got it, NightGuy! I decided I'm going to go ahead with this, but will be limiting it to 5 units for now. I will be talking to the supplier by Tuesday, and it should take about a week to get the lights from him. I have a few emitters coming in this week, but those are going into some personal lights. I just ordered more emitters from PhotonFanatic a few minutes ago. I haven't ordered from him before, so I don't know how long it will take to receive them. Just to guess, I would think I can have the lights ready to ship two weeks from now, pending getting in the lights and emitters in a timely fashion.

Jim, thanks for posting the link for more info!

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened

FlashCrazy,

Thanks and keep us posted on the progress. Will paypal you when you are ready to ship.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will do, Nightguy. The emitters are supposed to be sent out today. I put in the order today for the lights, so I should get them in a few days. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received the lights AND the emitters today...it was like Christmas! I've been swamped lately, but will hopefully have some time to work on them this weekend. I'll keep you posted!

Interesting note, I did a current check on the lights (with the stock LEDs in them). Two of them are in the 870 mA range, two are around 1000 mA, and one is at 550 mA...using the same batteries.

Update: The finished lights with the Seoul emitters were all right around 1000 mA

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like a very cool light, I'm interested but not convinced yet. With that much variation in current I don't know what I will get, though long run time seems like a good compromise. I'd still enjoy that super throw in a small light.
Are there any spots left in this run?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

That variation in current is very strange. I wonder what the restrictive component in the circuitry is. Those wires going to the emitter are very thin, I had a thought to go in there and go to a thicker gage. The one running 550 mA might have a wire soldered poorly?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Blindasabat said:
Sounds like a very cool light, I'm interested but not convinced yet. With that much variation in current I don't know what I will get, though long run time seems like a good compromise. I'd still enjoy that super throw in a small light.
Are there any spots left in this run?

Thanks for the interest, but the 5 lights in this run have been sold....2 here, and 3 outside parties. I was just coming here to post that and saw your post. The variations in current (excluding the 550 mA one) are pretty typical, due to the varying Vf's of the stock Luxeons. These are direct drive, so there's no driver that's causing the variation. I'll do current readings after the mods, and DammitJim and Nightguy here will get the best ones (assuming they still want one when the lights are available...I know how we flashaholics quickly change our minds and want something else!). The other orders are from non-flashaholics...they'll be blown away no matter what. I suspect all of the lights will be closer to each other after the mod, due to more matched emitters.

mikeyx

Enlightened

I'd also be interested. Please put me on your list.

Thanks,
Mike

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened

Hi FlashCrazy,

Be assured that I am commited for one. Another dent in my pocketbook, but what can I say, everyman has his vices.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

FlashCrazy said:
Interesting note, I did a current check on the lights. Two of them are in the 870 mA range, two are around 1000 mA, and one is at 550 mA...using the same batteries.

Dibs on a 1000mA please :wave:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

EngrPaul said:
That variation in current is very strange. I wonder what the restrictive component in the circuitry is. Those wires going to the emitter are very thin, I had a thought to go in there and go to a thicker gage. The one running 550 mA might have a wire soldered poorly?

I don't know how I missed your post, Paul. Yeah, could be...I'll have to check it out when I get it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.