Huntlight Tri-SSC U-bin Mod

chanamasala

Enlightened
Fatman, three SVO tint U-bin SSC leds, cut down tri-led reflector from a cheap flashlight, and a custom heatsink. Thermally idiotic I suppose but I didn't mind if it came out well and worked okay for 10 minutes at a time.

Too bad it is pretty cruddy. I tried to center the leds to no avail. Puts out an ugly flood beam. 18650 would need a spring on the Fatman. Using two R123As right now. You just can't be sloppy anywhere it shows you. Dang.

heatpn7.jpg

fatmanwk9.jpg

reflecfy4.jpg

Last edited:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D+ Huntlight Tri-SSC U-bin Mod

Hey nice job. Looks like alot of work. My son has one of the multi led lights, I was looking at the reflector for modding purposes also. Did you use the reflector to help with centering?

chanamasala

Enlightened
I thought I had it centered and so I put the epoxy down. But by the time it set it was off. I was trying to not use wires for the serial connection but shouldn't have care about that. Haste makes.... I think the beam would of had splotchiness even if perfect anyhow.

I got an 18650 to work with it. I cut down one of AWs spacers and put some kapton tape on the side.

In the basement here in daytime it actually is quite a flood of brightness.

Ultrafire C2:

c2aw5.jpg

Tri-SSC Huntlight:

tripl7.jpg

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody needs one good floody light.

I've been thinking about a good host for a 3-up mod. Thanks for sharing :devil:

chanamasala

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Everybody needs one good floody light.

I've been thinking about a good host for a 3-up mod. Thanks for sharing :devil:
If you want another idea, here's another one I'm working on for the Ultrafire C2. Custom heatsink, Fatman, three cut down Cree stars. I am waiting for a 35mm Khatod TriCree Optic (a medium range and flood so I can interchange):

c2ultrafiresb5.jpg

Also here's how I got the heatsink for the Huntlight: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/137578

I potted the Fatman in it and coated the inside with AA Adhesive so none of the circuitry would touch bare metal. It has the dimensions that did me okay. Maybe make the inside 8mm high. And the entire diameter of the heatsink itself a bit wider so it fits super snug in the opening for maximum thermal transfer and no chance at jiggleage. Beats me if the fellow would make anymore. Moreover, you might want to have something different with your measurements, ideas, etc.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
chanamasala - Very interested to see how your Ultrafire C2 setup goes. I was looking to do the same thing when I was searching for a SF-sized tri-LED light at the total cost of a Mag-sized tri-LED light (currently the only 2 available options for a nice tri-LED setup). The Ultrafire C2's head looked large enough to house 3 optics or reflectors. Let me know how yours goes. I was looking to have some custom make me a heatsink. What heatsink are you using?

chanamasala

Enlightened
jsr said:
chanamasala - Very interested to see how your Ultrafire C2 setup goes. I was looking to do the same thing when I was searching for a SF-sized tri-LED light at the total cost of a Mag-sized tri-LED light (currently the only 2 available options for a nice tri-LED setup). The Ultrafire C2's head looked large enough to house 3 optics or reflectors. Let me know how yours goes. I was looking to have some custom make me a heatsink. What heatsink are you using?

Optics came in the mail today for the Ultrafire C2 mod. Almost set up competely. Waiting for dark. I bought some extra heatsinks ElektroLumens once had for sale and cut the diameter to size and made the hole a wee bit bigger. Its dimensions are approx. 32mm diameter 6.35mm thickness. One might want a heat sink perhaps 1mm thicker. As even with the optic on top it isn't touching the original lens. If all goes well I'll post a thread tonight with other details.

A caveat about these mods: it can get hot, it is juicing the 18650 a bit so it might be less safe than other torches I'd imagine. So, proceed at own risk.

Last edited: