TRI-LUX with 3 different reflectors and LEDS?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an assortment of reflectors and emitters and was thinking of a Tri-Lux Surefire Turbo head. I would use 2 SSC P4 emitters(one with an Mcr27L the other with a P60 reflector modified for the SSC) and a Cree XR-e with a Mcr27xr reflector. All would be ran with the shark. Is there any possible drawback to running 2 SSC's and and XR-E in series? Has any one modded a head like this before?
I was thinking that combining the different reflectors qualities would possibly give a very useful beam, with lots of Throw AND Spill.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Now I gotta go try AGAIN!! to get that turbohead open!!!:hairpull: :barf:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about a Surefire mod, but forum member WildRice did a 2D Quad Lux III mod with four color LEDs, an nFlex and a 4 way rotary switch. I think he had white, Royal Blue, Red Orange and maybe a green. So between the 4 colors and 8 levels of each, basically he had a 32-way light. I thought it was a pretty sweet mod myself.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE!!
Please....ANY MORE???
I spent to much money on lights/emitters/reflectors/converter boards/hosts and now I can't justify spending money on a cover charge+incidentals to go out for St. Pattys with my friends.
So, I figured I'd spend the time doing something "constructive" with all I've collected, but want some input before rushing in and spending all that time+money to be dissapointed.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm........ sounds neat....... but if it was me..... I'd PM Mac, fivemega, Icarus, EngrPaul or one of the other modders on the forum and ask for their input.

Just a thought. :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
imho to use a turbohead for this is plain dumb. It has to be effectively destoyed and needs quite some machine work to get enough space inside to even place the emitters and reflectors. Also opening/closing the front cover is difficult as it is not a simple screw bezel on-job.
Also the diameter of the Turbo is much too large.

Why not use some of the cheaper models of the huntlight-breed-lookalikes as a host?
Already featuring a seat for the heatsink, screw in bezel, front glass (and real glass possible) ..., only needs the suitable diameter, and there should be one (if not, use one or two smaller diameter reflectors instead of 3 pc. of the larger ones.

doh: nust noticed that most turbos seem to use a screw on bezel now. My very old model is built with a snap on type. The rest of my statement seems to remain open for discussion.

Last edited:

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
If your question is --will everything be okay using 2 seuols and one cree in series with the shark, the answer is yes it's fine. They will each get the same current. The whole beauty of running higher voltage and putting your LEDs in series is so they each get the same current. I'm not certain how your beam will look, but so long as you aren't concerned with a ring here and there, I say go for it.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent!! I FINALLY just gote the Turbohead open!!! I had to fab up a tool to fit in the grooves of the non crenalated version. Right now I'll be using 3 SSC P4 emitter with the shark and Mcr27L, Mcr27XR, and a P60 reflector modified to fit the SSC. I'll keep ya posted on hoe it goes. Thanks for the help guys!