MagMod with external batteries

roadie

Enlightened
what do u guys think of having a Magmod with an extenal batteries storage, like in a waist pouch.

as the runtime on AAs are really short for a real world hiking ...... in the night :(

an external batteries with C or D cells will "light" the night to a Morning brightness form an hour to a few ......

:(

Norm

Retired Administrator
I think its a good idea connected with some nice heavy curly microphone cord using all conductors, batteries in a bum bag (fanny pack).
Norm

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
roadie said:

as the runtime on AAs are really short for a real world hiking ...... in the night :(

:(

Do you hike with a Mag 85, or something? I don't think that qualifies as 'hiking'. More like 'walking with the specific goal of using a bright flashlight'.

nana.gif

Seriously, about 25 lumens with a wide hotspot and relatively bright spill is more than I want while hiking and thats over generally pretty rugged terrain. I think the HD45 was designed specifically as a hiking/walking light with, I think, the idea being to use the lower level most of the time.

As to your idea, I think it's a good one. Sort of like the brighter bike lights with the 4D frame mounted pack.

roadie

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
Seriously, about 25 lumens with a wide hotspot and relatively bright spill is more than I want while hiking and thats over generally pretty rugged terrain. I think the HD45 was designed specifically as a hiking/walking light with, I think, the idea being to use the lower level most of the time.

Seriously, what " i think ... i think" is purely what u think

Every able man has their own benchmarks of what to use or how to use :)

Please do not sway from the main topics of having a MagMod with external batteries!

If one wish to start abt how fancy their own type of light to use via hiking or something else, welcome u to start another thread!

:touche:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like a great idea, you could mount a socket on the light which when unplugged
will allow the light to run from its own cells

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
roadie said:
Seriously, what " i think ... i think" is purely what u think

Every able man has their own benchmarks of what to use or how to use :)

Please do not sway from the main topics of having a MagMod with external batteries!

If one wish to start abt how fancy their own type of light to use via hiking or something else, welcome u to start another thread!

:touche:

Sorry dude... I think you took my comments entirely out of place. And the HD45 is not my light, it's McGizmo's idea of an ideal walking/hiking light.

str.gif

And I did comment on going the external route. The only issue that would give me pause with the brighter Mag mods is that they pull so much current, I doubt that, say 8 Duracell or Energizer D cells would be able to supply as much current as 8 quality AA NiMH cells.

More power, yes, but less ability to supply high current.

Now, with NiMH D cells, that would work out pretty well. I'm not sure I would want to consider LiIon cells if they were only in a pack on my waist. If there was a major failure, I'd rather the cells be in an aluminum light in my hand vs in a nylon pouch on my waist right next to all of my vital organs.

SLA might be worth considering as well. Or if the waist pouch became too clumsy or heavy, you could put the cells in a small backpack.

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened
if you're going the external route.....why not just throw a car battery in the back pack and use a car's headlights :naughty: