canned pet food recall

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
any cat and dog owners, beware of recalls of canned petfoods

Pet Deaths Prompt Recall of Pet Food

By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer
Fri Mar 16, 6:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON - A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6 throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site — http://www.menufoods.com/recall — early Saturday. Consumers with questions can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product," Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

Empath

Flashaholic
This is one of the most significant pet food recalls ever. It looks like Menu Foods makes the pet food for everyone else. They're recalling 48 brands of dog food, and 40 brands of cat food.

There has been 10 known deaths attributed to the tainted food, but that known number will undoubtedly climb as the source of the problem is recognized by vets and pet owners. There isn't even a good guess as to how many pets are now suffering kidney failure.

Empath

Flashaholic
Just in case anyone doesn't understand the gravity of the situation, the following pet food brands have a recall going on because pets eating it are dying and/or suffering kidney damage.

Recalled Dog Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

1. Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
2. Authority
3. Award
4. Best Choice
5. Big Bet
6. Big Red
7. Bloom
8. Bruiser
9. Cadillac
10. Companion
11. Demoulas Market Basket
12. Eukanuba
13. Food Lion
14. Giant Companion
15. Great Choice
16. Hannaford
17. Hill Country Fare
18. Hy-Vee
19. Iams
20. Laura Lynn
21. Loving Meals
22. Meijers Main Choice
23. Mighty Dog Pouch
24. Mixables
25. Nutriplan
26. Nutro Max
27. Nutro Natural Choice
28. Nutro Ultra
29. Nutro
30. Ol'Roy Canada
31. Ol'Roy US
32. Paws
33. Pet Essentials
34. Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
35. Presidents Choice
36. Price Chopper
37. Priority
38. Publix
39. Roche Bros
40. Save-A-Lot
41. Schnucks
42. Shep Dog
43. Springsfield Prize
44. Sprout
45. Stater Bros
46. Total Pet
47. Western Family
48. White Rose
49. Winn Dixie
50. Your Pet

Recalled Cat Product Information
Recall Information 1-866-895-2708

1. Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
2. Authority
3. Best Choice
4. Companion
5. Compliments
6. Demoulas Market Basket
7. Eukanuba
8. Fine Feline Cat
9. Food Lion
10. Foodtown
11. Giant Companion
12. Hannaford
13. Hill Country Fare
14. Hy-Vee
15. Iams
16. Laura Lynn
17. Li'l Red
18. Loving Meals
19. Meijer's Main Choice
20. Nutriplan
21. Nutro Max Gourmet Classics
22. Nutro Natural Choice
23. Paws
24. Pet Pride
25. Presidents Choice
26. Price Chopper
27. Priority
28. Save-A-Lot
29. Schnucks
30. Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans
31. Sophistacat
32. Special Kitty Canada
33. Special Kitty US
34. Springfield Prize
35. Sprout
36. Total Pet
37. Wegmans
38. Western Family
39. White Rose
40. Winn Dixie

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'm lucky that the foods I buy for the cats aren't on the list.

About three years ago, my dog died of kidney failure. We never could determine the reason for it. There weren't any recalls or anything, but the pet food never entered into my mind. It was expensive treatment. And a horrible death.

Illum

Flashaholic
senecaripple said:
An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall....

I hear ya Radio :mad:
it takes 10+ deaths of family pets before they declare an emergency?
that seems...:awman:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 deaths out of how many pets? Thousands, tens of thousands? We would need to know how many pets ate the food, and how many "normally" die of kidney failure from that population before we draw conclusions as to causality.

Now, let me add that my last cat died of kidney failure, and I cried like a goofball for 3 days, so I'm not unsympathetic. More data is needed, tho, and right now its lacking.

meow

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some eukanuba senior dog food last year for my late chihuahua who passed away last september. are these canned foods part of the recall? I looked at the codes they dont seem to match. but cant really tell.
I have science diet for my other dog.that I believe is not part of the recall.

Empath

Flashaholic
What kind of unmerited actions are you cautioning us against, PN? Are you advocating that we shouldn't heed a recall that the manufacturer is willing to loose an estimated 26 to 34 million on, and continue feeding our pets this suspected "poison" until we have clear-cut causality proof?

Senecarriple, the information on Eukanuba's part of the recall is on this Eukanuba page.

If what I've read is correct, the only foods involved are pouched or canned wet foods of the "cuts and gravy" form.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
We heard about the recall yesterday morning; we have two kitty cats that eat Iams in both cans & pouches. So we bagged up all of the unused food (seven very full plastic shopping bags full), threw away the food I fed them just a short time earlier, and temporarily switched to Fancy Feast brand canned cat food.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath said:
What kind of unmerited actions are you cautioning us against, PN? Are you advocating that we shouldn't heed a recall that the manufacturer is willing to loose an estimated 26 to 34 million on, and continue feeding our pets this suspected "poison" until we have clear-cut causality proof?

Senecarriple, the information on Eukanuba's part of the recall is on this Eukanuba page.

If what I've read is correct, the only foods involved are pouched or canned wet foods of the "cuts and gravy" form.

i'm looking at the cans and pouches of eukanuba's i have. it appears i have them from the same factory in kansas, but these pouches and cans i posess predates the cans and pouches in question.

my numbers begin with 5194 and the factory is 4197 the affected factory.
i'm not taking any chances with any of these brands, and i never meant not to heed the advice. i just wanted to doublecheck if the cans and pouches i had were affected. your website confirms that mine wasnt. and i was feeding them to my other dog last summer until she passed away last september. i never fed eukanuba to my current dog, as he is still a puppy.
these eukanuba are senior.
i'm feeding him science diet canned food, which is not on the list.

sorry, but i'm not sure what "PN" means.

Empath

Flashaholic
senecaripple said:
sorry, but i'm not sure what "PN" means.

PN means powernoodle. I was responding to his post. I could tell he was objecting to something, but I couldn't tell what, or why.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath said:
PN means powernoodle. I was responding to his post. I could tell he was objecting to something, but I couldn't tell what, or why.

oh, for a moment, i thought you were referring to me.
thanks for the eukanuba link. the cans i was feeding my dog was ok. but to be safe, i will not be feeding this to my puppy.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Sounds more like a reaction. A response would have included understand his post and proceeding from there.

I am guessing, since it's the same thing I thought of, that he is talking about how many cases justify the recall itself. As stated, they currently have no idea what the problem is. And if I might add a little anecdotal observation... I have seen dogs and cats eat some MIGHTY nasty spoiled, rotten, decomposing, etc "food" and trot around happily.

Empath said:

Glen C

Enlightened
Senecaripple, Empath, thanks for bringing this to our attention, my dog eats Eukanaba and nothing has been mentioned here. What is even more worrying is that pensioners have been known to eat dog food, these symptons would probably go unnoticed and I doubt it is a std question 'have you had dog food recently?'

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
FWIW, I feed my cat Innova Evo canned cat food, made by Natura Pet Products - it's really good food. If you can't find that, I'd recommend Wellness brand too. They're both made with human-grade ingredients that are USDA inspected and approved (not the lower standards), and neither are affected by this recall!

john

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glen C said:
Senecaripple, Empath, thanks for bringing this to our attention, my dog eats Eukanaba and nothing has been mentioned here. What is even more worrying is that pensioners have been known to eat dog food, these symptons would probably go unnoticed and I doubt it is a std question 'have you had dog food recently?'

if its canned wet food you might want to check the link empath provided. if its the crunchy you are ok.
i am ok with the dog food, now i need to check on the cat food. science diet cat food is affected by this recall.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My work involves toxin testing at an animal disease laboratory. I'm expecting a bunch of calls tomorrow about possible tests. The only thing I run into regularly that definitively causes kidney failure is ethylene glycol (antifreeze). I think it's very unlikely that this is the problem. There are also some mycotoxins, which are produced by certain molds sometimes found on grains, that may cause kidney problems with long-term exposure. This is a more likely cause, but one that would be more difficult to prove. I think powernoodle is right about not jumping to conclusions until there's been more study.

Geoff

goldenlight

Enlightened
Ten deaths have been reported.

Given the 40+ brand names, and the people who simply don't know what happened to their pets, I's safe to assume the number of pet deaths is far, far higher.

Remember, the spin doctors are doing damage control, and only reporting the absolute minimum number of deaths: cases where the food was PROVEN to have killed the poor pets.

Likely the number of actual deaths is in the hundreds for certain, and possibly in the thousands. The recall is enormous is scope.

This has been all over the cat boards I read (this was taken from a Usenet posting):

'This 15-page PDF file lists every specific recalled food of each brand
including description, best by & production dates, product & UPC codes.

http://www.jmlamoreux.com/message/total.pdf

The information was collated by the owner of a CRF (Chronic renal failure) website'.

I'm sure glad I feed my cat dry food!

So the manufacturer saved a few cents, or one cent (or less?) per can of food, and look what has happened.

While I've never been a proponent of lawsuits, this screams out for a HUGE class action suit, with massive fines for the manufacturer, and the supplier of the bad ingredient(s). I hope it happens.

Latest posts