Lumen factory EO4

bagman

Enlightened
I'm thinking of trying one of these LA's in a 6P bezel on a 1 x 18650 C-C Leaf body, will it work???

Anyone played about with this LA yet.

At the moment I'm running a P90 on 2 x R123A's and was hopeing for brighter as well as longer run time.

Flash007

Enlightened
Yes it will work in Leef C-C body + 6P bezel + 18650.

I've received 2 days ago LF HO-9 (320 lumens) and LF EO-4 (190 lumens).
Have tested the EO-4 in Surefire M2 + 17670 AW cell (1600 mAh).

Runtime is ~35 minutes before beam becomes more yellowish.
After 43 minutes, always plenty useable light. I've mesured 3,11V to the cell. Need to be recharged.

The beam of the EO-4is like the P60 LA, but the center hotspot is more bright and white.

With a 18650 cell, runtime will be longer I assume, maybe 50 minutes with an excellent discharge curve.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my G2Z, I am using the ES-09 with 2x RCR123. I prefer this over the P90 for two reasons: 1.) whiter light with a tighter hotspot and 2.) longer runtime, about 15 minutes longer. For my uses, it out performs the P90 in every way.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
it will definitely be a little whiter (LF lamps are really optimized to be nice and white) but probably won't be all that much brighter as they are both very similar in power consumption.... 18650 setups are the best use of space IMO, I run a HO-4 on an 18650, runs for well over an hour..... If you want to really see a jump in brightness.. run a HO-9 on some R123s, wow!

bagman

Enlightened
mdocod said:
it will definitely be a little whiter (LF lamps are really optimized to be nice and white) but probably won't be all that much brighter as they are both very similar in power consumption.... 18650 setups are the best use of space IMO, I run a HO-4 on an 18650, runs for well over an hour..... If you want to really see a jump in brightness.. run a HO-9 on some R123s, wow!

I've got a HO-4 on it6s way as well but I didnt think it would power up/be safe on 2 x R123A's. I was going to try it on 2 x 17500's in a 9P.

What sort of run time do you get on 2 x R123A and the HO-9 please?

DM51

Flashaholic
The HO-4 is for 1 x Li-Ion rechargeable battery, not 2. It will blow if you use 2 cells. As mdocod says, 1 x 18650 Li-Ion is a good choice. The EO-4 is even brighter - but runtime is shorter (~50 mins). If you are using a Surefire body, you would need the smaller-diameter 17670 instead, as 18650s don't fit Surefires. Runtime would be shorter.

The HO-9 is for 2 x Li-Ion rechargeables or 3 x primaries. In a 3-cell body (10cm long) you could use 2 x 18500 (or 17500) Li-Ions or 3 x CR123A primaries with this same LA.

Or you could run the HO-9 in the shorter 6.6cm body, as mdocod suggests. With 2 x RCR123s, run-time is about 22 mins. Spectacularly bright for its size - 320 bulb lumens.

bagman

Enlightened
DM51 said:
The HO-4 is for 1 x Li-Ion rechargeable battery, not 2. It will blow if you use 2 cells. As mdocod says, 1 x 18650 Li-Ion is a good choice. The EO-4 is even brighter - but runtime is shorter (~50 mins). If you are using a Surefire body, you would need the smaller-diameter 17670 instead, as 18650s don't fit Surefires. Runtime would be shorter.

The HO-9 is for 2 x Li-Ion rechargeables or 3 x primaries. In a 3-cell body (10cm long) you could use 2 x 18500 (or 17500) Li-Ions or 3 x CR123A primaries with this same LA.

Or you could run the HO-9 in the shorter 6.6cm body, as mdocod suggests. With 2 x RCR123s, run-time is about 22 mins. Spectacularly bright for its size - 320 bulb lumens.

Opps my mistake, mistype, I meant HO-9 not HO-4.

I've got 3 of their LA's on there way now so will have a play in a week or so hopefully :D

DM51

Flashaholic
The EO-4 is 190 bulb lumens, the HO-4 is 150. The difference is very noticeable, but not massive. The beam characteristics seem about the same.

If you want to compare bulb lumens with torch lumens, the figure is about 2/3rds.

joedos

Enlightened
I was looking at this bulb setup, wanted something close to the p61 120 lumen bulb in my surefire M2 using rechargeables.

What do you think?

Flash007

Enlightened
Put a LF HO-9 (9V / 1,55A / 320 bulb lumens) in your Surefire M2 with 2x AW new protected RCR123.

Great combo. Much brighter and whiter than the P61 and runs for ~20 minutes (tested).

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51 said:
The EO-4 is 190 bulb lumens, the HO-4 is 150. The difference is very noticeable, but not massive. The beam characteristics seem about the same.

If you want to compare bulb lumens with torch lumens, the figure is about 2/3rds.

Worth the extra $$ if you already have an HO-4?

bagman

Enlightened
The HO-4 & HO-9 arrived in the post today HOORAY :D

To be honest the HO-4 is a bit if a disapointment, I did a side by side comparison with one of AW's 3.7v unbrnaded LA's and it AW one had a noticibly whiter hot spot, didnt check for throw as it was still day time. I have the EO-4 on order so will try it when it arrives.

HO-9 is excellent, side by side with a G&P 9v LA and it was a much brighter hotspot, almsot upto P91 standard.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The HO-9 is very similar to the P91 in LUX measurements in the beam.... but the P91 has a much wider beam.. way more lumens...

I wasn't too majorly thrilled about the HO-4 untill I ran it on a 18650.., the 17670s just don't push it into really white territory.... works fine, just isn't as bright... but I don't worry too much about that... I look at it this way- if it's a tad bit less white and bright, then it will probably last a LOT longer than a bulb being driven really hard.....

as far as the HO-9 on a pair of RCR123s...
You really must use AWs protected high current cells for this, it's the only way I would recommend it. The power consumption is walking on the fine line of safety but should be fine for at least a few hundred shallow discharges before the cells should be replaced... Runtime is about 23 minutes till the cells shutdown, I recommend cutting off the run at around 15 minutes and recharging. The first 5 minutes is beautifully bright and white, after that it turns to a slightly yellower output but is still plenty impressive, slowly diminishing... at about the 15+ minute mark it is noticeably dimmer and orange in output, no more impressive than a G90/P90 at this point but still functional... since shallow discharges are healthier for these cells I would just suggest a recharge anytime you have more than 5 minutes on the setup (when practical)...

bagman

Enlightened
mdocod said:
I wasn't too majorly thrilled about the HO-4 untill I ran it on a 18650.., the 17670s just don't push it into really white territory.... works fine, just isn't as bright... but I don't worry too much about that... I look at it this way- if it's a tad bit less white and bright, then it will probably last a LOT longer than a bulb being driven really hard.[/QUOTE

mdocod said:
as far as the HO-9 on a pair of RCR123s...
You really must use AWs protected high current cells for this, it's the only way I would recommend it. The power consumption is walking on the fine line of safety but should be fine for at least a few hundred shallow discharges before the cells should be replaced... Runtime is about 23 minutes till the cells shutdown, I recommend cutting off the run at around 15 minutes and recharging. The first 5 minutes is beautifully bright and white, after that it turns to a slightly yellower output but is still plenty impressive, slowly diminishing... at about the 15+ minute mark it is noticeably dimmer and orange in output, no more impressive than a G90/P90 at this point but still functional... since shallow discharges are healthier for these cells I would just suggest a recharge anytime you have more than 5 minutes on the setup (when practical)...

I was running it on a 17670 but have a 1 x 18650 C-C leaf body on the way so will give it a try with that (also have a EO-4 on the way to try)

It is AW's cells that I am using, this will be my belt light for work and so will be used just as you describe above, anything more than a few minutes useage on a shift and I bung a spare set in and take the others home to top up.

Thanks for all the info

mdocod

Flashaholic
I have changed my EDC setup a bit lately in favor of these LF lamps...

used to carry a 2x17670 ultrafire all the time with the P91, I rarely carry it on me, but rather in the car or nearby these days.... I have 2 brinkman maxfires, 1 is bored to accept an 18650 and runs the HO-4, other runs the HO-9 on the RCR123.. These 2 smaller lights are more versatile than the 1 larger light, and fit more comfortably. I removed the rubber body grip thingy from one of them so I can easily identify what I am grabbing for in a pocket.