I should have listened

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
Been a lot of reflector cleaning threads lately and yet I still screwed up.

Last night: It all started when I tighted my L2D to remove the donut and some of the loctite flakes made their way onto the reflector. I took it apart and shook them out but one had stuck to the lense.

I flushed it with alcohol (70% is all I had) but it was taking forever to evaporate, so I used a hair dryer to speed it up. Well, the heat caused the reflective coating to haze, bubble up and even flake off a little. :ohgeez:

I've only had the light for four days and haven't even had a chance to take it outside.

I emailed David at the fenix store to find out about purchasing just the reflector part of the head. *fingers crossed* Hopefully I can save this thing. (And my neck - my wife doesn't know what I did yet.)

frosty

Enlightened
I recently cleaned a Mag reflector. All I did was run it under the shower attachment in the bath, shake the water off and then gently dry it with the hair drier. Came up great. Personally I never touch the reflective coating with anything.

Geologist

Enlightened
Yeah I've destroyed two reflectors over time - one with alcohol/cloth (years ago), and other my simply trying to rub off what I thought was dirt (it was a reflector imperfection). Oh well...

Geo

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF recommends using alcohol for cleaning their reflectors and windows (no wiping, just let it evaporate). However, I'm not sure if it is good for products from other manufacturers though.

Last edited:

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
"SF recommends cleaning using alcohol for cleaning their reflectors and windows (no wiping, just let it evaporate). However, I'm not sure if it is good for products from other manufacturers though."

Yeah, that's why I did it:)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Perhaps not all reflectors are manufactured in the same way SureFire's are?

The secret is not to force it to dry using heat. I've ruined a TurboHead by forcing it to dry.

Al

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing is Surefire uses a different coating, or no coating at all; it's also part reason for the Surefire beam the reflector is not a mirror finish. Most lights use a common vacuum process to adhere the coating(the process name is slipping my mind at the moment).

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
65535 said:
tebore, I believe its vacuum metalizing.
I believe you are correct. It's damn good for a reflective surface but it's not very resilient, it's rather soft. Electro-something is the step up process on that giving a nice mirror finish that is rather strong.

riffraff

Enlightened
I don't know if it's applicable here, but "sputtering" is used to aluminize glass telescope mirrors. This also occurs in a vacuum chamber, and the aluminum is sublimed by nichrome filiments and deposited on the mirror.