Found a waterproof hiking boot

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lucked out this winter by getting a pair of Sorrel Alaska boots at Kohls for $18.
Now I'll need a waterproof hiking boot for camping this year. I have good waterproof boots already, but they're cut low, just below the ankle, and they place I'll be camping more often has streams that need to me crossed, so I need a boot that comes up high. And no lone likes wet socks, least of all me, so they have to be very waterproof.

I'd rather not order online, unless I've tryed a pair on in a store first. But I'm shooting for $30-50 as my budget, if that's even possible. I'm hoping for another Kohls miracle!

Last edited:

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Recommend me a cheap waterproof hiking boot?

While you will find something at $30-50 for sure, it wont be of great quality. Last December, I bought a pair of Timberland hiking boots with "Gore-Tex" for camping. They were $90 and it has been the best $90 on a pair of shoes I have ever spent. Just this past weekend, I went to the Geocache Texas Challenge. Days before it had rained hard in the Houston area. We started going out looking for caches that had been placed before the rain, and we ended up in water that was sometimes 8-10 inches deep. My boots arent that tall, so I did everything I could to steer clear of it. But none the less, I was in water VERY much over my ankle for more than a few minutes at a time and I got back with dry feet. I was incredibly impressed. When you get into the really deep stuff, water gets INTO your boot, but never pierces through the Gore-Tex. It actually feels like like a squishy wet shoe, but your foot is perfectly dry. Just put some pressure on the foot(by stepping on it with your other foot) to squeeze out the water and its back to normal. They are incredibly comfortable for long use too. I could not be any happier about my boots. And honestly $90 for them is not bad. People spend $350+ on boots all the time. Of course, everyone likes different things, but thats been my experience with the Timberland brand.

-Cameron

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Omega Man said:
Now I'll need a waterproof hiking boot for camping this year. I have good waterproof boots already, but they're cut low, just below the ankle, and they place I'll be camping more often has streams that need to me crossed, so I need a boot that comes up high. And no lone likes wet socks, least of all me, so they have to be very waterproof.

I'd rather not order online, unless I've tryed a pair on in a store first. But I'm shooting for $30-50 as my budget, if that's even possible.

Check surplus stores for military boots in your price range and also get a good brand of leather seal. If you seal them well with a decent sealer and reseal regularly, the standard military boots should stay fairly waterproof.

Realistically, unless you can catch boots on half-price sale, $30-50 isn't going to get you much of a hiking boot.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Cabela's has their own brand of boots with Gore-Tex (or similar) for just a bit over your budget. They have an excellent return policy, and their stuff seems pretty well built.

What you could do is check out different brands in the stores, to find one that fits well, and order the same brand/model online for a much better price.

REI has closeouts, as well as Campmor, etc.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

pedalinbob said:
What you could do is check out different brands in the stores, to find one that fits well, and order the same brand/model online for a much better price.
This is exactly what I plan on doing.

Thanks for the good review on the Timmys, bob.
I know $50 won't get my much of a boot in stores, but I am a sale-hound, and my camping trips aren't starting until April, so I have some to to look around.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're doing just some short day hikes, car camping, etc I can't really give much advice. Look around at local sports retail stores.

But if you're talking about backpacking, where you will be walking many miles in a day or multiple days, hiking with a 25+ pound pack, etc DO NOT BUY CHEAP BOOTS!
Blisters really suck. So do aching feet due to poor support. Also, for longer trips gore-tex is nice because it lets moisture out so you're not walking around in wet socks due to sweat.

EatSleepRunBike

Newly Enlightened

PhantomPhoton said:
Also, for longer trips gore-tex is nice because it lets moisture out so you're not walking around in wet socks due to sweat.
Water from streams isn't the only moisture that'll get your feet wet.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys keep bringing up points...
Yeah, I'll be using these for both casual camping, and real back breaking killin-my-*** backpacking. So I think I'll skip the no name brands, and the Payless store.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two things you don't economize on is work (or serious hiking) boots and fishing line.

www.sierratradingpost.com often has good prices on decent boots. I've got a great pair of Vasques that were on close out for like $70. I'll buy footwear from them or Cabelas if the price is right because both have good return policies. Several times I've ordered both 10.5 and 11"s, kept the pair that fit best and returned the other. Only cost is return shipping, about $5 or $6.

RebelRAM

Enlightened

The absolute minimum I would spend on waterproof boots is $60. Boots with GoreTex do cost more, but they are worth it! I have bought a lot of boots from Cabelas and Bass Pro. The pair I liked best were the Iron Bridge hikers for around $100 from Bass Pro. They are all leather and do require a bit of break-in, but they are some of the toughest most comfortable boots I have found at that price level. I had a pair from Cabelas(can't remember the model name) but they had Vibram tread on them and the outer sole seperated from the boot after about a year. They were good boots until that happened.

I wear hiking boots everyday, they are just comfortable and practical for me even in an urban environment. Today I'm wearing a pair of Columbia waterproof hikers Panther Ridge is the model. They aren't GoreTex, but do pretty well, I haven't waded in any creeks with them yet, but they do seem to keep the water out. And they have very grippy treads.

From the sound of the type of hiking you plan to do, you would be better off to spend a little more and get some quality boots like Merrell, Danner, Asolo, or Vasque.

Now if you really want a good high hiking boot, look at hunting boots in the 9" to 10" range. For hiking you'll probably want uninsulated ones, so you may have to look a bit harder. Again Cabelas and Bass Pro are probably the best places to look for these. I use Rocky boots for this task and they are very comfortable and with GoreTex they are very waterproof. I know, I have crossed many creeks in the middle of winter and my feet didn't get cold or wet! Other brands to look at in this style are Browning, Irish Setter, and Wolverine. And these boots also come in tan or brown so you aren't stuck with camo. Expect to spend around $100 to $200 on boots like these.

Wyeast

Enlightened

Depending on where you're located, you could try stalking a factory outlet for one of the east coast manufacturers (Timberland is in NH, for example). I just scored some boots at Danner for $70 on closeout, but they're 4.5" cut - too low for your needs.

If there are no factory outlets in your area, maybe a major retailer (like L.L. Bean has outlets scattered around NE and Mid-Atlantic, I think) who could be looking to move last year's boots to make room for the shiny new ones.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I went to ****s and got a pair of Wolverine Prairie Hunters 9". Gortex, oooooooooo!
Cordura comfort, ahhhhhh. I could go without the 600 gram Thinsulate, but they didn't have any uninsulated one. I am ready to get packing and camping now.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Omega Man said:
Well I went to ****s and got a pair of Wolverine Prairie Hunters 9". Gortex, oooooooooo!
Cordura comfort, ahhhhhh. I could go without the 600 gram Thinsulate, but they didn't have any uninsulated one. I am ready to get packing and camping now.

Sounds like you found exactly what meets your needs. It's hard to find boots like that without the Thinsulate, but fortunately 600 gram does well in the warmer temps as well. Cordura should break-in fairly quickly, but it's probably still a good idea to wear them some before you go on a hike. Nothing sucks more than blisters on a long hike. Give us a full report once you get a chance to try them out on a couple trips.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've never been able to spend very much on boots. I don't camp or hike but wear them for work for 10-12 hours out of 24.

I have a pair of US Military jungle boots that may be the longest lasting boots I've ever had. They don't LOOK so great anymore, so...

I bought a pair of waffle sole "military boots" at a surplus store, and while quite comfortable I will have totalled the soles before 10 months. I have also had to replace the laces after a couple weeks. Don't seem like EVEN a worthy boot to share "Military" name.

I have ALWAYS wanted a pair of GoreTex 8" hikers, and used to always wear 6" hikers, the best (of the bargain brands) were Buster Brown from K-Mart. The soles are still going strong, but the body of one boot has a rip in it.

I've never even HEARD of some of the brands mentioned.

I had a pair of slip on Wolverine Dura Shoks and killed the soles within a year.

I am rather tough on shoes...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a nice pair of Rockies I got from my father in law. They had a small 1" sliver hole which I repaired with some Shoe Goo. They are heavy, but warm as hell and completely waterproof.

I did get a pair of Sonoma somethings from Kohls for $12 which was 50% off or maybe 75% off. They are about 8" tall, kinda generic looking (all black) but they have a thin layer of Thinsulate and are dead waterproof. I shoveled the record tying February snow in them and they never let in a drop. They aren't quite as heavy duty as I want in a true hiking book as I get to some VERY rugged terrain, but for trails and whatnot, I have zero complaints. I wish I had bought 5 pairs of them and kept 4 stashed.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
I have a nice pair of Rockies I got from my father in law. They had a small 1" sliver hole which I repaired with some Shoe Goo. They are heavy, but warm as hell and completely waterproof.

I did get a pair of Sonoma somethings from Kohls for $12 which was 50% off or maybe 75% off. They are about 8" tall, kinda generic looking (all black) but they have a thin layer of Thinsulate and are dead waterproof. I shoveled the record tying February snow in them and they never let in a drop. They aren't quite as heavy duty as I want in a true hiking book as I get to some VERY rugged terrain, but for trails and whatnot, I have zero complaints. I wish I had bought 5 pairs of them and kept 4 stashed.
I also got a $100 pair of Sonoma boots for $20 from Kohls this year, what a steal!
I'm backpacking this weekend, my god my pack must weigh 50 pounds, but it's as slim as it's gonna get :( I'm only bring a RR headlamp, SSC modded Fenix L1P, and SSC modded Q3 for lights. Lots of booze and food, tent, kid folding chair cause I fit in it and it's lighter, a cheap SW radio, you know, the essentials. I'll report back how the lights and boots worked out.
The Wolverines were on sale for $80, price on box is $150.

kaseri

Enlightened
Be thankful that you don't do any winter mountaineering. Not only do I do lots of hiking in the warmer months but I do just as much winter mountaineering & the proper boots for winter alpine/above tree line conditions cost in upwards of $350. I suppose it's better than losing a toe to frostbite. If you are at all interested check out these links for photos of my latest mountaineering trips.

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/kaseri/Mt Washington 4-14-07

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/kaseri/Mt Washington 3-19 to 3-20 2007/

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Psssh, you can have it kaseri :p I'm NOT a fan of the cold. I'm stressing because it'll be 40's at night this weekend. I would rather have it in the 80s-90s.