Hello

jph

Newly Enlightened
What a great site! I am new here, and looking for a small light that can be used for edc, however I prefer a longer runtime (mizer) over a higher lumen output as I am away for 3 or more days at a time. I figured there is no better place to ask this question than CandlePowerForums. Oh yea, and I could see paying around $100-$200 for a high quality light. Thanks for your time, and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
Good questions but in the wrong area of the forums. This is the section where people ask for used lights they want to buy from other members. You might be better asking this question in the "general flashlight" section.

Make sure to say what battery type you want to use. AAA, AA, or lithium CR123A.
How bright do you want to go?
Do you want variable multi-level output?
Do you want a Made in USA solid metal high quality last a lifetime sort of light?
Do you want it to give light for 10-20 hours on 1AA battery so if you're trapped in rubble it will be useful?
Or a super bright light that will die after 2 hours?
Do you want to freak out people with Mega brightness?
You have to specify what you need and want!
Because there are hundreds of lights to choose from! People can't help much if you are too vague.

Inova X1 is a solid metal made in USA light running on 1AA for 10+ hours that is about $20. Just an idea. If you want to spend $200 that's easy too... but it might be better to buy 2 or 3 good solid reliable cheaper lights, so if you lose one or it gets stolen it's no big deal.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since this is more of a discussion thread than a buy thread we will move it. You may post a WTB thread in the appropriate forum after you have made your decision. ;)

Unforgiven

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi JPH, welcome to CPF.

Let us know your preference as what was referred by cydonia. Then it will be easier to zoom in to your wants and needs. Cheers

jph

Newly Enlightened
"Good questions but in the wrong area of the forums. This is the section where people ask for used lights they want to buy from other members. You might be better asking this question in the "general flashlight" section."

Ok, sorry.

"Since this is more of a discussion thread than a buy thread we will move it. You may post a WTB thread in the appropriate forum after you have made your decision. ;)"

Thank you.

"Make sure to say what battery type you want to use. AAA, AA, or lithium CR123A."
I don't know, something rechargeable would be nice. are li-polys safe?
"How bright do you want to go? "
I would like a flame thrower, but a longer runtime is more important for my edc.
"Do you want variable multi-level output?"
variable is nice but not necessary.
"Do you want a Made in USA?"
Yes! or Canada would be ok. Something made by a CPF'er would be a bonus!
"solid metal high quality last a lifetime sort of light?"
Exactly. ti is nice
"Do you want it to give light for 10-20 hours on 1AA battery so if you're trapped in rubble it will be useful?"
yea. but still bright enough to be functional.
"Or a super bright light that will die after 2 hours?"
"Do you want to freak out people with Mega brightness?"
I plan on getting a light like this, but not for my edc.
"You have to specify what you need and want!"
I hope this helps.:)

Last edited:

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a Fenix P1D CE or L2D CE.

P1D CE
*1xCR123 (Accepts LIon RCR123's)
*15 lumens for 10 hours on low
*Strobe and SOS
*110 lumens for 45 minutes on high
*Flat, regulated output
*$70 shipped from fenix-store.com
*I have one and I love it

L2D CE
*2xAA (Accepts Alkaline, NiMH rechargeables, and AA sized Lithium cells).
*11 lumens for 59 hours on low
*120 lumens on high. Battery life varies depending on chemistry.
*Strobe and SOS modes
*Flat, regulated output
*$55 shipped at fenix-store.com

I've been tempted by the L2D CE, but I opted for the P1D because of its smaller size. It's a little more discreet for EDC.

The Fenixes are made in China, but they are far better than the stereotypical Chinese crap we are used to hearing about.

Check out www.flashlightreviews.com. You'll find thorough reviews of many lights, including these two. I've bought my favorite lights after reading Doug's reviews on them.

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

SureFire L1 (2006) 1.1 Lumen Low ~ 90 hrs / 22 Lumen High ~ 4 hrs. Uses one SF123A Lithium Battery. Made in USA! - $135.

PA

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Per Arne said:
Hi,

SureFire L1 (2006) 1.1 Lumen Low ~ 90 hrs / 22 Lumen High ~ 4 hrs. Uses one SF123A Lithium Battery. Made in USA! - $135.

PA

That's what I was going to suggest, but Per Arne beat me to it. The L1 is an excellent light, plenty bright on high and very miserly on low. If you are going this route, buy soon... as the new L1 coming out in the next few months will be a brigher version with a lot less battery life.

Best wishes,
Bawko

dalekcommander

Newly Enlightened
Welcome! i just joined myself about a week ago.
Be prepared for a wild ride!
There's more activity in the flashlight world than I ever would have thought, and these guys here are full of information!
happy hunting!

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that 2AA or 3AA magLED may be perfect!
Good power( proportioned with size);good runtime; not very expensive!:grin2:

jph

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replys. I did check out www.flashlightreviews.com, that site has a lot of flashlight information, and is how I found CPF.

The Fenixes have cought my intrest, I currently have a few Minimags that get a lot of use (I've been happy with them.) But was thinking of something a little smaller(even though the belt holster is not that bad.) I have been looking at surefire for some time now, I thought the surefires only ran for about an hour or less.
The Surefire L1 is something I think I would be interested in. I will have to check around here to see if anyone has one I can look at a little closer.

Thanks for your help:twothumbs

Last edited:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know anything about that thread!:scowl: I'm very angry!:mad:
I will talk to my "friend"(untizio) becouse I like leds like incandescent light bulbs!
he is really stupid.... this isn't a good trick....

wmirag

Enlightened
If I could have one and only one good light (may heaven forbid), I'd go HDS.

1. You can choose the intensity/run time that works for you.
2. It's incredibly well built.
3. It has a great beamshape and nice white color.
4. It's reasonably pocketable.

You can probably get a mint-quality used one pretty easily.

W.

golden_creature

Newly Enlightened
its always worth considering an A2.the leds go on forever,plus you have the option of higher lumens with the incan if you need it.gc.btw-welcome.