A2 cree?

flash_bang

Enlightened
I was thinking about getting a current A2 aviator, but wasn't sure if I should hold out until the cree version hits the market (when is that again?), or get it May-ish of this year…What would the differences be?
thanks for the help!
Flash

Schnotts

Newly Enlightened
Based on what I've beening reading, there won't be an A2 cree. The A2 has that nice white regulated light so I don't think they'd stop making that!:)

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Cree LEDs, and I'm looking forward to the new red Cree L1, and Cree L5, but a Cree A2 would not be a real "A2" in the best sense of the word.

flash_bang

Enlightened
@ schnotts, I mean the LED's of the A2
@Art, why would it not be a "real" A2?

thanks a ton,
Flash

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LEDs in an A2 are 5mm, and the Cree XRE would definately not fit in those holes, even if they changed it around a bit. There is not room. I haven't heard of any new A2 coming from Surefire...

schiesz

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I don't believe they even use the Lux at present, they use Nichias for the LED's, dont they?

There are two issues that I see preventing an A2-CE from getting off the ground (slight pun intended...but we're getting to that).

A) SF would likely have to raise the price, even slightly, to drop 3x Crees into an A2 (which they've said would not happen.

B) While 90%+ of A2 users may never fly a plane, the major idea was a LOW output LED function for cockpit use, with a HO hotwire for pre-/post-flight inspection. If you double the output of the LEDs (actually I bet WAY more than double since we're starting with 5mm Nichias)...you've effectively killed that idea (along with my night-adapted vision).

Now I'm with you that it may be a good light, just not likely to be an A2 Aviator...

--Mike

Last edited:

flash_bang

Enlightened
I see…is there likely to be anything before 2010 from surefire that is like the A2, eg, one low level, one high level led/incan?
thanks a ton,
Flash

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

flash_bang said:
I see…is there likely to be anything before 2010 from surefire that is like the A2, eg, one low level, one high level led/incan?

Well... now that I think about it, there IS that "A2" thing they sell... it's kind of like what you're describing! :)
The phrase "You can't improve upon perfection" comes to mind for some reason...

Best wishes,
Bawko

flash_bang

Enlightened
awwwwwwwwwww righhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht
methinks I know what I'm gonna ask to be my cumulative present for the next couple years :) :) :) :)
have a good one,
Flash
ps, now I just have to figure out what LED color I want…

Phredd

Enlightened
flash_bang said:
thanks a ton,
Flash

If you want a bright LED instead of the incan, take a look at the Kroma. It's a different pattern. The low white is much narrower. The blue is a good flood. It still has the double position tail switch.

Phredd

flash_bang

Enlightened
the KROMA looks nice, but way out of my price range (that's what I said about things that were priced like the A2, too)
Anywho, I had a dream last night about a weapon light that has a toggle switch. It was kinda like the KROMA in that it had high and low levels, but it had green, red and white light come out of it, not sure if it was LED's, but pretty sure.
Man this is getting bad, even my subconscious mind is being taken over by flashaholicism! :)
have a good one,
Flash