Which would you pick C55 AMG, M3, M5?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys, which would you pick out of the choices above? A 2006 C55 AMG, 2006 M3 or 2006 M5? How much do you think the prices will drop for these cars within 3 years. I plan on getting one of these within a few years, not exactly those specific years but I just listed them as something to go by. I love big cars but after driving around for a few years with my 2000 GS300 .. it feels very underpowered and am looking for something with much more power.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are honestly considering this level of vehicle, you really need to go drive them each. They feel very different. This generation M3 feels like a boy racer gone wrong. Loud, racous, edgy, very fun but it ALWAYS feels like an M3. I don't know about the C55, but the E55 feels like a Mercedes that transforms when you press on the accel. The M5 would definately be my choice but then, I'm a BMW guy through and through. They are all nice cars, but the E55 and M5 feel the most stately when not hammering it while like I said, you never forget you are in an M3.

About three weeks ago I was talking with a guy that had a brand spankin new C55. He had previously owned a second gen M3 and a current M3 and he said that other than flying through the turns, he preferred the C55 to any of the BMWs. I'm 34 and he was probably in his early 40s though so perhaps his edges were a bit softer than mine.

Honestly though, the GS300 looks nice, but it isn't the quickest car around. A G35 with a manual feels like a rocket in comparison and you won't have nearly the shop charges compared with the BMW M or AMG cars.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Oh I also forgot ... would anyone happen to know the reliability of these cars? My current GS300 is incredible in that area and never has to go to the shop for anything. It's also build like a tank as I got into a minor accident and the bumper was merely scratched however the other car I cannot say the same. I would really hate to be paying to repair the car all the time. And as a reply to the G35, they are good cars but just something about them makes me stray away from them. The 350Z is nice but I am looking for a 4 seater.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, call several independent import shops and tell them that you are considering these cars and see what they suggest as the most reliable. As far as buying used, you have to keep in mind that while the initial owners will tend to be mostly upper income folks (with a smattering of spoiled kids), these cars are obviously going to be driven harder. I mean, if you drive like a grandma, you aren't likely to form out the extra $35,000 or $40,000 over a 530.

They are all well-built cars, but you have to be reasonable. If there is that much more power going on through many of the vehicles components, and they are being driven relatively harder because of the nature of the car, an M5 won't be as reliable in the real world as a 530 or 540 and the C55 won't be as realible as a C320 or C350.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the prices will drop for these cars in a fw year, unless you are talking baout buying used....

THe other thing you have to keep in mind is the maintainence costs when going to a high-performance German car. I had an older BMW 3 for a while and Holy Prices For parts!!!!!!

johnny13oi said:
Hey guys, which would you pick out of the choices above? A 2006 C55 AMG, 2006 M3 or 2006 M5? How much do you think the prices will drop for these cars within 3 years. I plan on getting one of these within a few years, not exactly those specific years but I just listed them as something to go by. I love big cars but after driving around for a few years with my 2000 GS300 .. it feels very underpowered and am looking for something with much more power.