Do you prefer 'Normal' Clicky or Reverse Clicky?

Do you prefer 'Normal Clicky' or Reverse Clicky?

• Normal Clicky

Votes: 367 89.3%
  • Reverse Clicky

Votes: 44 10.7%

• Total voters

xiaowenzu

Banned
on your flashlights?

Okay for those who don't know... a normal Clickie switch, also known as 'Forward Clicky' operates like those on a Maglite - when you lighty press the button, the light is INSTANTLY activated. Press harder, it clicks and the light stays on. Great for signalling or short bursts of light.

With 'Reverse Clicky' you press the switch, but there's no light yet. You must press harder until it clicks AND THEN release the button - NOW there's light. ALL CHINESE LIGHTS ARE REVERSE CLICKY (Fenix, Lumapower, Jetbeam, lights from dealextreme, etc)

I must admit I've always been a fan of the 'normal clicky' mechanism since I purchased my first Maglite. It just feels so natural and intuitive to operate.

Also because I live alone today, and always place my Surefire U2 (a normal clickie) beside my bed when I sleep. Sometimes when I hear noises in my room at night- I'm always scared there are burglars... so I instantly activate my light - short stabs of momentary burst to shine into the eyes of my would-be attacker. And while he's dis-orientated, my left hand reaches for the MAG 6D and CLUB his head! :lolsign:

Now with a reverse clicky, I am unable to have instant light. It will certainly cost me the precious time to activate it and put my life in danger. This is why I only buy FORWARD CLICKYS. :D :D

P.s You can now understand why I HATE twisties even more! :lolsign:)

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, OK I must admit I prefer a forward clickie too (U2 style) but I also have to tell you that your life will be much safer if you keep a big black gun beside your bed and in case of noises during the night you shoot first and light up your flashlight later. In this case of course the type of switch has no impact on your safety. :naughty:

:xyxgun:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of hundred times... I would be surprised if Reverse Clicky got even 1% of the votes.
Your fooling yourself if you think that a momentary on is faster to turn on or that a light will make that much difference in that situation...

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither. I prefer the twisty head over any other type of switching.

But, if I had to choose the lesser of two evils from those two choices, I would choose "Normal" clickie.

datiLED

cy

Flashaholic
twisties are the best!!! much better reliability track record for twisties vs clickie... can trip on accidentally unless you place in lock out mode. which to activate light requires to .... twist :D

two stage LOTC like A2, PD, etc are the best compromise for reliability, ease of use and instant on.

it really boils down to user preferance... mechanical interface vs electronic

back on topic... more like who prefers a reverse clickie at all?

abinok

Newly Enlightened
Ive been operating forward clickies for a while now... but I liked the momentary stock switch on my 9P.
What to do?
Turn the reverse clickie on, then turn the tailcap out a quarter turn!
Now a press to the tailcap gets instant light, and a twist turns it on... just like the 9P!
Like most I prefer a forward clickie, but a reverse is by no means a stumbling block between me and a great light.

savumaki

Enlightened
What's the point of polling, nobody listens anyway!!!!! Mfg of cheap lights use cheap switchs (reverse clicky).

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have an option for "about the same"... On small lights, I prefer Civictor V1 type twisty (spring loaded, body screws into bezel, turn on/off contact between front edge of body and contact ring on PCB) the most. On big lights, I prefer a side clicky (either type).

Novaflash

Newly Enlightened
I cannot stand reverse clicky switches. My Q3 almost never gets carried because of this. On an EDC light often oyu only need light for a second or two thats it. I dont like to click then un-click just for a second of light. I dont know why they even make reverse clicky, they seem worthless to me.

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
I like reverse clickie for getting through the FLuPIC UI, but other than that I'd most definitely prefer a regular clickie.

Luminescene

Newly Enlightened
I agree with cmaylodm, surely a switch can be made with the best of both, a light press when off gives momentary on, a light press when on gives momentary off. Does this exist?

ScottW

Newly Enlightened
I vote normal clicky, but I wouldn't throw out my reverse clickies. And it's been said before, but if you're relying solely on a flashlight (regardless of clicky type) to defend your life against an attacker in your bedroom at night, you've got a good chance at winding up dead. I do have incandescent and tritium lighting for defensive purposes, but they're mounted to a .45 :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't really care which kind of clicke I use.

Flashlights should use electronic clickes, like the ones used in keyboards, a tap for constant on and holding the clicke for more then 1 second is momentary on(and I've never seen a electronic clicke break).

Just my opinion

Cydonia

Enlightened
The multi stage twist complexities of certain lights make me shy away. Such functioning must fail and break too easy. Forward click switch only.

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
I'd also like to add that reverse clickie switches won't go off in your pocket accidentally if the switch is depressed.

thezman

Enlightened
Calina said:
They allow us to have those cool U.I. which are not possible with forward clickies.

The levels of the L1D CE change from low to med to high to SOS by interrupting the power to the circuit board. The circuit board doesn't know if the power was interruped by the use of a reverse clickie or a forward clickie.

I modded my Fenix L1D CE with a forward clickie and the U.I. works just fine.

One press of the botton is low, two presses is medium, etc. You can hold the button on momentary and it will stay on the power you select. At any point in the pushing of the clickie you can push it the whole way and it will stay on that level. It will default to low level if you leave it off for more than two seconds. Same U.I. as a factory L1D CE but with a forward clickie.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmaylodm said:
I'd also like to add that reverse clickie switches won't go off in your pocket accidentally if the switch is depressed.
But reverse clickies sure take some cheering up when they're down. :laughing:

After using a cheap reverse clickie switch I'm convinced it's not the best way to go, as it switches off or goes high resistance with a bump. I have plans for that torch though. :clap: