Mag Charger + Phillips 5761 = awesomeness

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
So, I bought a Mag Charger for police work. I liked it. I thought it was far better than the Mag LED I had been using, and it was.

Then I found this forum, and it started. I began reading all of the "Mag Mod" threads, the gears in my head started turning. I found a few threads suggesting putting a WA1160 bulb in a Mag Charger, and was very interested. Then I found this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/149011&highlight=5761

I immediately bought a Phillips 5761 from replacementlightbulbs.com. It arrived in about two days. I was concerned when I saw the bulb, because it is so much bigger than the stock bulb. It fits in the reflector, though, but barely.

And then, I turned it on. I can only say that I was stupified. I thought that a light had absolutely no business being this bright. I immediately wanted to make a traffic stop to "test it out" :)

So I did. Approaching the car I turned the light's head to maximum flood. The poor driver never had a chance. The light lit up every corner of the car, front to back, with a postively blinding white light. I used the light all night, slightly worried about decreased runtime. Seemed to work fine, with no noticable dimming at all.

I checked out the throw on a few buildings behind our station, with my department's stock Mag Charger. The 5761 drop-in mod lights up an area about three or four times wider with equal brightness at equal distance than the stock light does with a well-centerd bulb on its tightest focus.

So, my point is: If you've been thinking about modding your Charger, get this bulb. It's cheap, and soooooo worth it!!!!

Now about going to a 7.2v battery pack...

Last edited:

litho123

Enlightened
Hi sabre -

I'll have to give that a try.

In the meantime, if you don't have a Fivemega ceramic MC slug, please PM me your mailing addy for some mica shields to help slow down the detrimental heat effects on the plastic compound in the stock MC slug.

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
My next question:

I understand that the stock MC battery pack is 6.0v. I also have read here that the 5761 really takes off when run on 7.2v.

Does somebody make a 7.2v NiCD battery pack that will fit the MC? Also, I've read that it can be done with rechargable AA batteries. If one goes this way, can the MC charging cradle still be used, or do the batteries have to be removed and inserted into another charger?

I have searched the forums for this info, but can't find it.

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
Just another little tidbit:

Yep, this thing runs hot. Awful hot. Hot enough to burn my hand if I put it within 3-4" of the lens and turn the light on. That's hot.

Thus, I'll be foregoing my 7.2v hopes for a while. Now, to get one of those mica shields to hold me over until fivemega makes another ceramic slug run (and hopefully he will)...