New member and new L1Dce

BGater

Enlightened
Howdy all, I have been lurking for awhile now but just recently signed up. I have learned a ton about torches here and with that made my first "higher end" light purchase. I have many Mags and LED mods for them and some chineese knock offs. But my new light is a peach !

Last week, late Thursady evening I ordered a Fenix L1Dce from Lighthound. It arrived today (Monday)......talk about fast service ! I am impressed with the output and machine work. It has an artifact on Turbo and high mode though. A tiny dark spot. If I can figure out how to manual setup my digital camera I will post a beamshot. On a wall this little light is brighter than my Mag 3D factory LED. I do wish the belt pouch had a flap on it though, im worried about loosing it. I used to do Leatherwork and may have to get creative on a nice belt pouch and maybe work in a side pocket on it to carry an extra cell. Overall, very pleased.

BGater

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!

The artifact that you mentioned is 'normal' on that light, a characteristic of that type of Cree emitter.

As for the case, I carry an L1T (similar size) in the same fenix case, and it has yet to come out. I work in HVAC, so it gets knocked around pretty heavy sometimes. Haven't lost it yet...

BGater

Enlightened
Ill give it a try, maybe tuck the lanyard under my belt till I see its not going anywhere. I farm, so it will see some rough use.Thanks for the info on the artifact, I really didnt want to return my new light. It will be dark here in an hour or so.......time to play ! Hehe.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to cpf. You picked a great time to join. There has never been a larger gap in performance from the lights we find out about here compared to what the typical consumer calls a bright (led especially) light.

h_nu

Enlightened
BGater, I have a P1D CE and don't have yet L1D yet. If the holster is the same, perhaps you can attach the small split ring and lobster claw and attach it to the plastic ring on the holster for extra safety.

Zax

Newly Enlightened
Welcome bgater!

I am a new CPFers myself. Just got my L1D-CE last friday from Fenix-Store and really enjoyed playing round with it. It's definitely a "WOW" compared to my MAG 2AA incan and 3AAA chinese LED.
My L1D got an artifact too but still an amatuer in flashlight modding so i'll just stick to what i have for now. Nonetheless the beam are great.:sold:

As for my side, the holster seems to work just fine in holding the light nice and tight. I doubt it wil fall off even if you're standing upside down. But the extra batt holder is a nice thought though, been wondering 'bout that myself. Let's keep our finger crossed on what you or fenix come out with.

Last edited:

BGater

Enlightened
Thanks for the link, Hawkeye. I will play with the light a bit and see what I can get. The snap on the lanyard is a nice idea.....cant believe I didnt think of it...thanks h nu. Im on and off tractors, in and out of pens and over fences all day long (farmer). I loose a dozen pairs of pliers a year probably......if it CAN be lost.....im the one to do it !

ScooterBug

Enlightened
welcome sir, you picked a nice light. i sure like mine. also i have never had a problem with the Fenix holster losing the light. :)

not2bright

Enlightened
BGater,

Welcome to CPF!

I'm a bit south of you in Columbia, IL (St. Louis area).

The L1Dce is a nice light. They seem to run great on NiMH rechargeables. I have been running mine on ROV Hybrid 2100, but am thinking about switching over to a higher capacity "regular" NiMH cell since I don't let it sit idle for too long.

Be sure to post some pics after you do the leather work!

BGater

Enlightened
I still have all my tools but need to call a buddy thats in custom leather and get some lighter weight cowhide, all I have is some 9-10 oz. I worked with this guy at Corrections and he got me started making radio loops. From there I went to holsters and knife sheaths. I was ok at the heavy duty stuff but he is an artist doing the oak leaves and such carving in leather.

Was out playing tonight with the L1D......amazing is all I can say. Th ewife and I went out to the machine shed...its 80 feet long. The Fenix had no trouble blasting a bright path full length. My wife usually gives me a hard time about my LED addiction ( I have the same addiction for MIG welders and Kubotas). Every time it starts I ask her to open her purse and lets take a look inside...she carries a 2AA mag with an Opalec New Beam drop in, on her key ring she has a mag Solitaire with a drop in from lambda. When she got home tonight I told her the Fenix came and pulled it from it holster to show her.....she giggled at me but then snatched it up and asked how it works....hehe. When we were in the shed playing with the Fenix she started in razzing me that she couldnt believe I was going to let my wife carry a lesser light and thats its probably not safe for her to do so. I think I see another order to Lighthound going out this week ! Its a win-win deal.

BGater

Enlightened
Holy Cow.....was just looking at Lightmania's Kydex holsters and its just what I want. Sent PM, will see if he has one to fit the L1D-CE.

BGater

Enlightened
I have been telling the wife about all the new stuff going on with LED's, Cree's, ect. She said its dark days ahead because I will catch "keeping up with the jones" syndrome and get grounded from my credit cards !

Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone. CPF is a great place.