I don't get it. G&P 1W drop in modded with DB750 no brighter than stock.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning I modded a Seoul modded G&P1W with a Downboy750 board and I don't see a BIT of difference in brightness. Aargh. Either the stock driver is running at around 750ma - which I highly doubt - or the DB750 isn't running at 750ma, which must be the case. I did the ol' ceiling bounce test. I did the alternate flashing them at something test to see if I could tell the difference. They seem exactly the same. I have 2 of them, thats how I can tell that its no brighter than stock. Any ideas?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running 2 of the AW 17500s' in a C3 Centurion. So it should have plenty of both voltage and current. Took 'em hot off the charger too.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's far more likely the stock module is run at 750ma than the downboy not working.

If the convertor was faulty, you'd get no light at all.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still recall my disappointment when I modified an Arc LSH to boost the current to the emitter. I think I almost doubled it (~350ma to >600ma), but it didn't really look any brighter to me. It only ate batteries faster.

It takes a big boost in current to get a barely noticeable increase in output. I ended up with the Arc back at stock.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
(minor rant) Guys, you are doing great with your mods. I can't even solder well. BUT please buy a lightmeter, and at least do bounce with lightmeter, and basic lux measurements. Not a super duper lightmeter, but something that you can use to compare your own lights to each other. Lots of info available with a lightmeter. (end minor rant). Thanks,

Bill

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forget the exact drive current, but I know the 1W module is driven pretty hard. My 1W and 3W G&P module were virtually identical and only showed a numerical diference in my lightbox.

-DF

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of what doubling the output power is in terms of decibels. Not a lot is it? Remeber that your eyes perceive light in a logarithmic fashion. Increasing light output by 50% will be barely perceptible. As bullzeyebill mentioned, get a light meter for anything more than casual comparisons.