SureFire - I want their quality... but using Alkaline cells!

Cydonia

Enlightened
I tried searching for "Surefire alkaline" but the search kept returning an overflow error. I'm sure this has been already asked dozens of times before:
Do all Surefire use CR123A's? Every one reviewed at flashlightreviews.com seems to.

I want the quality and build of SureFire - yes, even the cost - and especially the color, but with a Tri or Quad bore design to load up with 6 or 8 common AA's.

A big expensive made in USA light, mil spec, incan or LED cluster, 3inch head, HIII and deep knurle pattern, with 3 or 4 bored tubes for AA cells. Or C's.
(ElectroLumens almost comes close, but there is no R&D, testing, waterproof guarantees etc., and too much home brewed feel)
  • Tough mil spec and waterproof / submersible
  • HIII anodize
  • Heavy knurled grips
  • Made in USA - no quality compromises - (or rotating dial switch modes)
  • Big flood OR big throw - either one not trying to do both
  • Uses any size alkaline battery
  • Puts out at least 100 Lumens.
  • One dim mode of very low long lasting light 50+ hours
  • Light engine / module replaceable
I realize only now that I have been searching for a light like this for months...perhaps years? Basically SureFire but with some type of adaptor tube for alkalines?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I'd like the same thing. However, it doesn't seem to be available.
I've thought of the possibility of doing an adapter tube for AA cells... but it would lengthen the flashlights quite a bit.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Cydonia

Enlightened
So in other words there exists no top notch flashlight running alkaline batteries?
Still room for innovation it seems :(

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline in a Surefire? That's like wanting a four-cylinder engine in a Porsche!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
They had a prototype that appeared to be an L4 that took either 2 or 3 CR123 or 2 AA, at last SHOT (2006) but it never emerged as a real product. So.. until then, you're SOL if you're looking for an alkaline-based Surefire.

h_nu

Enlightened
Alkaline might be feasible in a series parallel arrangement like the Eveready Double Barrels. Haven't seen anything like it in a heavy duty version though.

ginaz

Enlightened
alkalines aren't up to high drain applications. nimh's are though

paulr

Flashaholic
There are no Surefires designed for alkalines. There are a number of rechargeable models though. Maybe you could try one of those.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mickey mouse Surefire Recipe :grin2:

Buy a Surefire 9P or C3 and a Cree Led module.
I think two AA Alkalines will fit in the 9P/C3 bodies.

But the cells will rattle unless you wrap them with some paper.
And it will not provide enough juice unless there are some of these modules
that can run from 3V.

Its not much but it could work...
:D

Benny

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I was also "waiting" for an AA Surefire.

But consider the fact that CR123 cells are small and handy for an EDC light.

If one considers the E1L, it is more or less the same as a Peak Mediterranean. (The E1L 99USD, the Mediterranean 109USD)

I got the Peak and ordered the optional 2AA body. After a few weeks, it turned out I no longer used the 2AA body and used the 1 CR123 standard body instead. Why? The 2AA body makes the light impractically long and the, otherwise, small and handy light becomes a "burden to carry". (though it must be said that the runtime more than doubled (NiMH versus RCR123))

With rechargeable 123 cells, I do not consider it all that much of a handicap to use this size of cells.

Kind regards,
Joris

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the plunge, Cydonia, the lithium waters aren't as scary once you dip your toes in. As leukos inferred, why install an under performing power source in a high end light? No more high performance.

Cell standardization is overrated, IMHO, and CR123s are so close to alkaline's cost/performance, at internet prices. Lithium cells won't wreck your expensive light if they happen to leak, but they rarely do. Lithium cells have better shelf life, low temp power, discharge characteristics and other advantages.

Do yourself a favor and take the plunge and, you too, can enjoy the fantastic fragrance of fresh flashohol when you open your lights.

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you have against rotating dial switch modes? Specifically, which Surefire switches do you not like?

Cydonia

Enlightened
jayflash said:
Take the plunge, Cydonia, the lithium waters aren't as scary once you dip your toes in. As leukos inferred, why install an under performing power source in a high end light? No more high performance.

Cell standardization is overrated, IMHO, and CR123s are so close to alkaline's cost/performance, at internet prices. Lithium cells won't wreck your expensive light if they happen to leak, but they rarely do. Lithium cells have better shelf life, low temp power, discharge characteristics and other advantages.

Do yourself a favor and take the plunge and, you too, can enjoy the fantastic fragrance of fresh flashohol when you open your lights.

I just sold off all my CR123A lights. This battery is hard to fine in Canada and is expensive. Only 1 shop in my province sells bulk CR123A's - at least they are Surefire brand. Cost is $3.75 per cell.

So, first there is the rarity, then the price, then a little safety issue with the flashahol fumes present that bugs me, the long term availability questions too - Like if my only source shop closes. Don't forget now, we can't order CR123A's from USA because Canada Post will seize them. A handful of Police tactical supply shops back in Eastern Canada sell CR123A. Not going to get into fancy ordering for flashlight batteries :(

One may obtain AA cells in the remotest backwater outfitter, even 3rd world situations and perhaps the occasional war zone... If today, in these times of plenty, I can hardly find or afford CR123A's, what's the chances down the road? In global terms, this battery is an exotic rarity, and as such I feel it is a liability to own equipment that utilizes them. That's all ;) With most everything I buy, especially expensive tools, I'm always thinking decades down the road, buying according to longevity and use. Crazzzy but there ya go.

It doesn't have to be SureFire brand. But I'd expect their quality level or close.
I nice rugged tough flashlight fueled with AA cells would be nice. Ought to be common decades from now. Been around 50 years already after all.
Maybe I shouldn't have sold the crank generator I made
That should give you an idea of where I'm coming from :rock:

:candle:

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Cydonia said:
I just sold off all my CR123A lights. This battery is hard to fine in Canada and is expensive.
This is really very interesting. SureFire and other manufacturers should take note. Thanks for this information, Cydonia.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS might make an optional 2 AA tube for the the upcoming flashlight they are making for the US military. If they do, it will not be cheap. HDS lights are high quality. Not long ago they sold for about $300. The new light is rumored to be about $150. With the Army contract they are making more lights so they can charge less. $150, or even less, is what they were selling the previous version at a clearance sale. They were not selling the lights for less because they were going out of business, but because they were completely remaking themselves as a military contractor.

bridgman

Enlightened
Alkalines just don't cut it for high intensity incandescents. There's a post under "reviews" titled something like "L1D-CE and L2D-CE runtimes" -- the graphs there paint a pretty damning picture of alkaline vs. nimh or lithium cell performance.

Ahh, here we go :

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/155819

This is pretty much state of the art in terms of efficiency, and alkalines *still* suck except on the lowest brightness.

Seriously, get an L2D-CE if you want a good alkaline light, but even then it only makes sense if you're going to run on low level most of the time. If you're going to need "bright for long time" then you need NiMH cells even with the L2D-CE.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have had good luck running alkaline AA in lights that draw about 300mA's from the led. With one of my Arc LSH's driving a SWOH at 250mA's to led, I get decent runtimes with two AA's. That turns out to be 310mA drain from the battery. If that was a Seoul P4-U the light output would be really decent, and common AA would be great back up when I have no charged up NiMh AA's. I have to find my data, but I believe that I was gettting three hours with two alkaline AA's vs 4 hours with one CR123 (Streamlight).

Bill