WOW! McR38 Joker reflector works PERFECT in 2D/C MAG!!!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried this for giggles since I was bored. I had a McR38 Joker lying around so I thought I wonder if I can cram it in my 2D mag with the 4cell MAGLED module and see if it will work. All I can say is WOW! It works fantastic! The window (Borofloat lens here) keeps the reflector nice and centered. Its perfect! Now if I can just get one of those Seoul based modules, this thing will be a throw monster. You can't change from spot to flood, but who cares! Just look at these pictars!
magled001uq6.jpg

magled003yw4.jpg

Beamshot on ceiling:

magled004qr6.jpg

I'm going to transfer this setup to a 2C for a more compact setup...Pretty neat huh? A great cheap upgrade. Perfect around-the-house light.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great stuff KDOG3! I assume you can fit a PR-based bulb with the reflector too? I think I'll have to give this a try w/ a GH24 incan (PR-based) bulb.

Senses

Newly Enlightened
Can you provide some out door beam shots? If possible, show us some comparison beam shots against some other well known LED

BTW, very good find, :goodjob:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! I;ve been using a 27L reflector in my favorite 2C Mag Mod for about a year now, but of course, that uses an O-sink and is not a PR-based bulb. LOVE the beam! Not as much throw as a stock Mag reflector, but the beam is perfect of course and the spill beam is brighter than that of the stock Mag reflector.

Where can you get a joker R38 reflector?

I have one of the Craftsman 'Variable Power' PR bulbs that works from 1-5 cells and am going to mod it with an SSC USW0H when I get it. Looks like a SUPER easy swap. The Craftsman puts about 285mA to the emitter on 2 alkaline cells so that should be roughly 70 lumens or 40% brighter than the 2 cell MagLED module but with less heat and longer runtimes. On 4 cells (380mA to the emitter), it should be doing about 90 lumens and again, much longer runtimes than the 3W 4 cell MagLED module.

Nereus

Enlightened
Kodg3, very nice mod!
goodjob.gif
Where did you put the glow powder/paint, that's beautiful effect!

The McR45 reflector fits also into Mag 2D head:

P3030368.jpg

A bit different angle:

P3030367.jpg

I have experience only on Mag xD + McR45 combo so I don't know what is the situation with the 2C Mag
thinking.gif

-N

LowTEC

Enlightened
hey KDOG3,

it seems like a great thrower, but does it actually throw better than a stock mag reflector? cuz from my recall, Mac is using a stock mag reflector in his Seoul Mag and reached 20000 lux with it.

gunga

Flashaholic
Nereus. How much is one of those McR45 reflectors? DOes it fit the stock MaglED module?

I'm just looking for an upgrade over the stock reflector. Already have the mineral glass lense and MAGLED (I'm happy with it for limited car use).

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 27L is great, as are all the Mc reflectors, and I think they provide a more useful beam for almost all applications, but I don't think with Lux IIIs that they truly throw better or further than a stock Mag reflector.

Still, considering the literally perfect beam and the fact that the spillbeam becomes brighter than that of the Mag reflector, I think it's a win win situation running one of McGizmo's reflectors over the Mag reflector unless you absolutely NEED maximum throw.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet, I may have to try one of those 45s'... do you have to mod the reflector at all or will it drop right in like the 38?

Nebula

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Sweet, I may have to try one of those 45s'... do you have to mod the reflector at all or will it drop right in like the 38?

In my situation the 45 had to be cut, but this left the switch in the stock position. WQuiles did the work on this light as it was his creation. My light is of course the C so a D might be a little easier. Good luck.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nereus said:
Kodg3, very nice mod!
goodjob.gif
Where did you put the glow powder/paint, that's beautiful effect!

The McR45 reflector fits also into Mag 2D head:

P3030368.jpg

A bit different angle:

P3030367.jpg

I have experience only on Mag xD + McR45 combo so I don't know what is the situation with the 2C Mag
thinking.gif

-N

If i'm not mistaken, the sizes of the C and D heads should be pretty much identical.

Nereus

Enlightened
No modification was needed for the mag 3D+McR45 combo, it's pretty much a drop-in. You can find the McR45 reflector dimensions here. I finished this mod some 1,5 years ago so unfortunately I don't remember anymore the price of the reflector - but I guess it is close to the price of the McR38?
thinking.gif

Kdog3, I like especially the glow effect in your mod :goodjob: - how did you create that? I did not find out how to do that when finishing my own mod 1,5 years ago.

-N

Last edited: