Ultrafire Lights: What is your take?

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened
I've seen these lights go for real cheap and are advertised as good performers...are they worth it for like like say, a car keeper or toolbox etc? Any opinions about ultrafire would be greatly appreciated

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several of the Ultrafire 602d's, the P1 lookalikes. They have been very good so far having used them a lot in the past few months. The output is very good and close to the P1 I have, and they even have a nice pocket clip which I really like.

Lightfantastic

Newly Enlightened
They're actually pretty nice lights, especially for the price. The 502 series had very weak switches that would burn out if you looked crosseyed at them, but the McClicky switch can be grafted in with a little work. Put in a CREE LA meant for Surefires at 462ma, with a couple of 123 rechargeables, and you have a bright, cheap, white, long-running light, with momentary on. 17500s in the C version and 17670s in the D for even longer run times. The 501A is a little single-123.

You can also put incan LAs in them. They are versatile enough that you can use any bulb/battery combination that trips your trigger. Good build quality, and you can beat them around without worrying. The 602D is a perfect chapstick-sized, Luxeon pocket light. Just a touch finicky with the threads.

4 123s in a 501 D version, with a 14.4v incan LA and you have a monster that stands with the best.

The C2 is great, a bit blueish, but runs for hours on a single 18650 protected cell.

I have yet to get one that was a disappointment.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I've had a 4xCR123 size ultrafire light for over a year... I run a P91 lamp with a pair of 17670s in it. It gets used almost every day. It has plenty of scratches and dings, but still works fine. For the money- these are great alternatives. After a awhile, They will probably fail, probably the switch... which in most of them could be serviced by the user... other than that there isn't much else that could go wrong.

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
Their newer lights are pretty awesome, most notable the C2 and WF602A1. I have one of their older incandescents, and the switch burns out every time I use primaries and the 9v LA, but works fine with RCR123s and a 12v LA. Good lights for the money.

Glen C

Enlightened
I agree with the posters above, I have a number in family members cars where they will be lucky to get used once a year. Very fair value for money, construction at least as good as you have paid, as mdocod said probably the clicky will fail eventually. Metal isn't as nice, some units I have feel like they were made from pig iron. Good value for money.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take my $40 Ultrafire C2 cree light over any incan light (including sf) I have ever owned. Out of all my lights, it is easily the best for distance work. I believe they are good lights for not a lot of $$$.

Nebukadnezar

Newly Enlightened
cmaylodm said:
I have one of their older incandescents, and the switch burns out every time ...

I have also the older version 501B with 2 RCR123 and it works fine.
Do you know any switch, or better any tailcap, that fits for this model and for the new model 502B/C?
Also it seems to be possible to use it with one 18650 from AW and with the new LF HO-4 for better runtimes. Still waiting for shipment.
Whats the diameter of the new series 502B/C, does it fit also 18650/18500?

Last edited:

Lightfantastic

Newly Enlightened
A McClicky switch WILL go into the 502 series tailcap. That gives you momentary plus click-on. It ain't real purty but by gum, it works.

No go on the 18XXX batteries. 17XXX is the largest that will fit.

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SmartFire CR2 that's been on my keychain for several months now. This particular version has a great twisty action, nearly as smooth and reliable as the FFIII (gasp!). I've modded it with an SSC and it is a great go-to light, no fiddlin' single-stager.

I've tried a different version CR2 (which had versions labeling it an UltraFire as well as SmartFire) and CR123, and those were decent too. Based on these, I'd say Smart/UltraFire has at least 'some' very usable (and for the price, 'great') lights.

Lightfantastic

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

lskov

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
I have several of the Ultrafire 602d's, the P1 lookalikes. They have been very good so far having used them a lot in the past few months. The output is very good and close to the P1 I have, and they even have a nice pocket clip which I really like.

The Ultrafire 602A1 (Vippa) at $12,61 is superb. Got one and are ordering more for my frends. Truly one of the best AA`s today.

lars

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got in the Ultrafire C2 -- I'm very impressed, it has very nice throw with its large reflector with light texturing (enough to smooth out the sharp yellow ring and sharp edges on the hotspot without compromising throw much). Excellent build quality, definitely the best light available for $24. It also provides good regulation on 2CR123 batteries -- drawing constant power from primaries, or rechargeables (less current from higher voltage batteries). on 18650 it's dimmer but runs a lot longer. Regulation is very very similar to the Lumapower M1.

The C2 is great, a bit blueish, but runs for hours on a single 18650 protected cell.
I think this is just luck of the draw on the blue LED. The one I have is neutral tint, fairly warm, excellent color rendering -- it's the best LED I currently have.

Last edited:

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the testimony...just ordered the Ultrafire C2....I'll post some pics....the next ones that interest me are the 4x123a model, and the 2aa cree...

Windscale

Enlightened
UltraFires are now very popular in Hong Kong. The new ones are now fitted with CREE LEDs. Their finishing are not consistent. But generally they are good enough. For a fraction of the price of a comparable Surefire, I think I will buy 2 or 3 UltraFires instead. The ability to use 18650s is also a plus.

So far I have bought
502B (Cree) using 1x18650
502D (Cree) using 2x18650
C5 (Cree) using 1x123A and extendable to use 2xAA
602D (not Cree) using 1x123A

These can all be recommended.