Best rechargeable systems for Rexlight REX 2.0?

camberol

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to get a recharger and rechargeables for the REX 2.0 and would like to take advantage of the light's flexibility.

What are the best 14500's and RCR123a's for the system and which are the best rechargers that will handle both batteries?

I'd like the 14500's for longevity and the RCR123a's for lumens.

Thank you.

adnj

Enlightened
I'm curious about the best 14500's for brightness. I would guess that a NiMH battery (Like a Sanyo) with 2700 mAh at 1.2 volts might provide more light that a 14500 or RCR123 with 700 mAh at 3.7 volts.

Of course the higher voltage battery will give you the option of a brighter bright. With the selectable levels and losses of the regulation circuit, I think that I won't have an acceptable answer until one is really tested.

Martini

Enlightened
camberol said:
I'd like the 14500's for longevity and the RCR123a's for lumens.
Going with AW's cells, there is no advantage to either battery unless you already have a charger than only accepts one of them. They are the same chemistry, have the same rated capacity, and the same discharge rate at 1C. The only difference is size. Of course, since there is no CR132A tube available at the present time, the 14500 is the natural choice.

As for Li-ion vs NiMH, there's not that much difference in capacity here. The NiMH AAs will have a little more juice in them, but it won't matter much when you consider the higher internal resistance, self-discharge rate (unless you use Eneloops, which lowers capacity), and additional converter losses. However, you won't get a very low level out of the light on 14500 (according to previously published specs), so NiMH is probably the way to go for overall usefulness. Lithium primaries would be fine if you want to go the non-rechargeable route.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm.... both the 14500 AND the rcr123 are for lumens.

only that the rcr123 have less capacity compared to the 14500.

for li-ion vs nimh, although they have different capacity and voltage, they both do almost the same amount of work or in other words, they both give out around the same number of watts.

of course, li-ion are better in the sense that it has a high voltage compared to the 1.2v or 1.5v normal nimh or alkaline gives.

that means less work for the buck/boost driver....

but hey, use li ions with care!!!.

nimh is useful only when the application doesn't support the use of li ions.q

if li ions is/are supported, then use it for they are lighter, works in colder areas and are explosive( can be both a pro and con :p ) :)

joedm

Newly Enlightened
I've purchased a couple of 14500's from AW. They are awesome. 4 days from order to landing on my doorstep.

I also purchased an Ultrafire Charger from DealExtreme for $8. Took > 3 weeks to land on my doorstep...

Both work great together but in hindsight I may ordered the charger from AW as well if I had known of the shipping times.

But all in all I am very happy with both.

camberol

Newly Enlightened
chesterqw said:
umm.... both the 14500 AND the rcr123 are for lumens.

chesterqw,

I recall seeing different output on the REX 2.0 depending upon which of the two batteries were used.

If that isn't the case, then I'll stick with the 14500's.

Your cautions regarding Li-ion are well noted.

I will order the UltraFire 3.6/3.7V Battery Charger here:
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1251

thanks ;)

Martini

Enlightened
Output should only be different if Vin is different. I think what you are referring to is output on Li-ion (3.6v) vs. Li primary (3v). The R in RCR123A stands for rechargeable; it's a Li-ion cell that is roughly the same size as a CR123A. So RCR123A or 14500, it's going to be the same.

camberol

Newly Enlightened
from kai:

Hello:

I recommend using the Ultrafire 14500, the only cell we are carrying, okay performance for the price http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=975 . Rexlight will come out with its own cell shortly. For RCR123A, try the LIR 3.6V Li-ion cell, okay for the price, http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=722 . Use this charger to charge them all: http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1251. They are unprotected batteries.

There is one thing that I don't get. Both 14500 and RCR123A are rated 3.6V (about 4.0V when fully charged with no load), and is about 600-700mAh with similar size volume. Why the difference in performance regarding longevity and lumens? Pleaes educate. I have a prototype Stainless steel Rexlight, takes CR123A only, reverse clicky, that gives more light that REX2.0 with 14500. They shares similar circuity.

Kai