6d rop low

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
can i swap the 11watt low rop bulb into a stock maglite with no reflector upgrade? am i in the melting reflector range?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody did a test a while back using the ROP Low bulb and the stock parts. IIRC, they ran it for almost 30 minutes continuously before the reflector and lens began to show some distortions in the plastic. But they were relatively minor and the light was still usable.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a stock reflector that I've sprayed with hair spray, let dry and applied repeated coats I think 8-10, put in a ROP LE, 2cmag with 2x18650 and looks good to me. It's nice to have a low $$$ mod that outperforms my SF M3.

Jim

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hairspray? If that gets too hot, wont it start to burn/melt? I've never tried it before but it seems like it would.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my ROP low in a 2C host with a borofloat lens, and stock reflector. I was using it the other night when I was walking my dog(there was a TON of fog, so my LED's stayed home), and the most I ever had it on straight was 5-7min.....then firing it back up after 1-2min rest. When I got home, I noticed that the "coating" along the base of the reflector near the bulb started to "ripple" :awman: . I need to find myself a smooth aluminum reflector so I can take advantage of the hr+ runtime of the ROP low....

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can not take credit for the hair spray technique as I found it in one of the old ROP threads, also Acryl clear spray was the favorite I believe.

I figured it would only cost the time to do it and if not worked I was going to throw the thing it away anyway.

I've used my hair sprayed stock reflector in ROP LE Lo bulb only maybe total 15-25 min. run and no problems.

Jim