Tactical single AA help?

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a tactical single AA flashlight. I would like it to be 4.5 inches or less in length, with a body diameter of around .75 inch give or take a little. I would prefer a led or luexon led bulb. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, welcome in CPF.:)

I don't know if you prefer long runtime or power in your flashlight but
you can choose the INOVA X1 or T1 (tactical version of X1) that is 3.9" long and .72" in diameter
look here http://www.inovalight.com/site.html?XO3-ov

Filippo.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The definition of tactical varies a lot. See the discussion Here.
What exactly are you looking for? Switch type, beam type, brightness/runtime? What will you use it for?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MaxliteII For Sale

click here

Light is just over 4" and is 1" dia (Head); Very rugged and bright... AA battery

jeffb

firefly99

Enlightened
Since you are looking for AA light, why not take a look at the Fenix ?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILIPPO said:
hi, welcome in CPF.:)

I don't know if you prefer long runtime or power in your flashlight but
you can choose the INOVA X1 or T1 (tactical version of X1) that is 3.9" long and .72" in diameter
look here http://www.inovalight.com/site.html?XO3-ov

Filippo.

The T1 and X1 are completely different lights. The X1 is 1AA and the T1 is 1xCR123 (old model) or 2xCR123 for the new model

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you gotta give more detail as far as what you think is tactical. For me -- and, I recommend for anyone who will be using the light in conjunction with a firearm -- a momentary switch is a MUST. I'd prefer it be momentary only ... but okay if it eventually clicks on, but the switch should have reasonably long "throw" from momentary to click.

But if by tactical you just mean a light you'll use for self defense without a handgun, then the momentary-on doesn't matter so much

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
The T1 and X1 are completely different lights. The X1 is 1AA and the T1 is 1xCR123 (old model) or 2xCR123 for the new model

oh, excuse me I really didn't know this...I'm very sorry:awman:

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
I really appreciate all the help. I realize that more information is needed. By tactical I am looking for a light with a momentary switch that one could activate with one's thumb while using a handgun. I would like a good balance between brightness and duration, but as always more in each catagorey is better. Price is a factor I would like to keep it under $ 35-40. I have been considering the Inova X1 and the Coast David Digi-tac 15. As far as the Fenix L1D does it have a momentary switch? Thanks again for all the help.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think your out of luck if you want an AA-light with momentary(when you say momentary on you mean that in it's true sense, or just a light that has a rear end clickie?) on. The only ones I know of is Liteflux LF1 and Lumapower M3 and both are over 40USD. Liteflux will soon release a LF1 with Cree, which sounds very interesting. Otherwise, I think the X1 comes closest, but it's not that terrible bright. Dont know about the the Coast David 15, but Coast generally dont get that good reviews around here (except for the hokus focus).
Fenix L1D doesnt have a momentary on, its a reverse clicky.

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
Can someone explain reverse clickie to me. I don't quite understand how it works. Thank you.

paulr

Flashaholic
Forward clickie means that as you press the button inward, the light comes on. If you let go at that point, the light turns off, so you can use the button as a momentary switch. If you press the button all the way in until it clicks, then it stays on until you click it again.

Reverse clickie means you press the button all the way down until it clicks, and then as you let it back out, the light comes on and stays on. That means it's harder to activate the light by accident (press against something in your pocket) but it also means you don't have momentary operation.

A 1AA tactical light is sort of a weird concept. In a high stress situation where you're illuminating something while aiming a handgun at it, you probably don't care even slightly about either runtime or about battery cost per hour, so tactical lights usually use CR123A's which are expensive but which have much more power density than AA's. Also, it's only been very recently (due to LED technology advances in literally the past year or so) that 1AA lights have been able to put out as many lumens as traditional 2x123-powered lights since the 1AA lights necessarily use a lot less power.

Basically, there are many 1AA lights that are absolutely wonderful as general purpose or EDC lights, but if you're serious about tactical applications, you probably want a 123-powered light, of which Surefire is still the premier brand.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
A 1AA tactical light is sort of a weird concept. In a high stress situation where you're illuminating something while aiming a handgun at it, you probably don't care even slightly about either runtime or about battery cost per hour, so tactical lights usually use CR123A's which are expensive but which have much more power density than AA's. Also, it's only been very recently (due to LED technology advances in literally the past year or so) that 1AA lights have been able to put out as many lumens as traditional 2x123-powered lights since the 1AA lights necessarily use a lot less power.

Basically, there are many 1AA lights that are absolutely wonderful as general purpose or EDC lights, but if you're serious about tactical applications, you probably want a 123-powered light, of which Surefire is still the premier brand.

Actually, with the recent developments in LED technology, I dont think an AA tactical light is a farfetch idea anymore. You can get the brightness (just look at the Fenix L2D that puts out more light than most Surefires) and all the pros of using regular AAs. And if you really need lithium for long storage or cold weather performance, just buy AA lithiums. All you actually need is a decent quality light with good output,true momentary on and the beam characterics you want.

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
What about the Ultrafire 602 does anyone have experience with them? Does their switch have a momentary option? Or does anyone have experience with the Coast line and how well the switches work for a momentary option?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldnt bet my life on it. 99% of cheaper chinese lights (and most higher quality chinese lights too) have a reverse clicky. What's your budget?
As earlier mentioned, check out the Lumapower M3 or wait for the Liteflux LF1 with cree upgrade for a higher quality AA-light with momentary on. Another option is Elektrolumens Lucidius. But it's 2AA.