DX Cree Powered U2 flickers

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My DX Cree Powered Eastward YJ U2 "homage" (quiet) arrived in the mail yesterday. Popped in a freshly charged Ultrafire 2400 battery and wow!

Then I clicked the switch again. Dim but off-on-off-on..... The longer I leave it on bright it has a chance to stay on constantly in dim.

Any ideas? I am waiting for the DX site to come back up so I can quiz them. I am leaning to the resistor in the tailcap having an issue with the 1.45 amp load. Or the regulator circuit doesn't like the lower voltage the drop resistor gives it. Maybe the switch is just gimpy. I can live with a single power switch if that is the problem. Hi-Hi-off would be kind of goofy but doable for now.

Or is it the unprotected battery? I think it is. I have some protected coming in the mail soon.

KWillets

Newly Enlightened
Try taking off the tail switch and shorting the bottom of the battery to the body. If it's the switch, try taking it apart and reassembling. Mine had contact problems until I did that.

doc_felixander

Newly Enlightened
I've had the same problem and I'm pretty sure it's the circuit's fault.
(had the switch issue, too, but it was still flickering despite that one fixed.)

I guess there's not too much you can do about that except for hoping that DX will replace it.
Besides that, it's a pretty good host for modifications.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of times on DX lights the ring in the tailcap pushes on the switch board with nothing to push back under it. See if you can put an o-ring under that switch board and then tighten down the ring again.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is the switch and/or circuit on low. High seems fine. I've taken the switch apart to check the switch and resistor. Somewhere I have a single stage switch to swap out.

Latest posts