Fenix L2D CE to replace an SureFire L2?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I get a L2D CE to replace my SF L2? Batteries are cheaper, its smaller, it's less costly. Why not?

xiaowenzu

Banned
Nope. Surefire L2's have world reknown quality and lifetime warranty .. it's much brighter too (more than 100 lumens on high-mode). Oh, and did I mention it's a Surefire? You can't beat that. :D

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
Get the L2D CE, I did and I am still amazed with it, it is a absolute powerhouse when you get out in the hills at night, I went looking for elk sheds the other night, me and a buddy were in a wide open bottom and he had a advance auto parts 3watt 2C Led, he was braggin on how bright it is, I pulled out the L2D and on turbo it was a wall of light completly washing his light out, he said damn that is bright! I said yeah and I can carry it all day in my pocket,

But get the Fenix, I have had surefires and still do, but I will not buy another one, They cost way to much and are way overrated, Just because of military and Le use, If I want a high quality Incadescent, I will buy more Streamlight, at least it does not take them 3 months to fix a problem with a warranty,

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had two L2's and used one on camping trips, it was a nice wall of light. I have replaced it with the Amilite T5 because of the flood characteristics. The T5 is brighter on high and has more or less the same output on low as the L2 had. The T5 is a lot smaller, lighter and cheaper than the L2, but its not a Surefire.......I also have the L2DCE and love it. It's the same length as the L2 but greater output and more versatile.......

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2DCE completely replaces the L2 in all aspects as far as performance goes. It has more output on high by around 20 lumens and has 4 times the runtime at that higher brightness (when using L91 cells). The low output on the L2DCE runs for over 80 regulated hours with two L91 cells which is 8 times as long as the low output on the L2 which is very similar in brightness.

AZ Sky

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't exactly say that my Fenix L2D CE has replaced my Surefire L2 but I don't use the L2 much anymore.

Here is a side-by-side beam comparison of my SF-L2 on HIGH (left) to my L2D CE on Turbo (right). This pic was taken approximately 20 ft from my garage door.

74866967.jpg

I use rechargable AA NiMH batteries that last longer that the CR123's in my SF. Overall I think it's a good flashlight. I will say that it doesn't seem to be constructed as well as my SF-L2 - but then again it cost three times less.....

redranger97

Newly Enlightened
I replaced my Nuwai TM301X3 with the L2DCE for those exact reasons. Slimmer so it's not as bulky in the pocket and alot cheaper to operate. It always bothered me that I'd get uneasy about running it on high because I knew it was draining the (more expensive and harder to come by) batteries. Now I can get some real use out of my light's high mode. Now one might say to get some rechargeables and that's fine but I go camping from time to time out in the boonies and if my rechareables die, and i need to pick up some fresh batteries, often the only places to pick them are little gas stations and mom and pop stores that would more likely carry AA's than 123A's.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only SureFire is able to come up with something to replace the L2. But anyway, just go and buy a new light. That's the CPF spirit. It's either buy both or keep both!

txmatt

Enlightened
Imagine that, xiaowenzu in another thread preaching that Surefire is the end-all, be-all.

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
It's really a matter of performance vs. quality. I'm not saying fenixs are bad quality, in fact, I have a fenix and think they are great quality. However, it is common knowledge that Surefire is the true leader in build reliability and quality. However, the fenix takes AAs instead of cr123as, is about the same size, and has better light output and runtime. They are both great lights in my opinion. However, I think I'll be getting a L2D-CE sometime, not an L2. It's a great light, but for the price you could get a L2D-CE, P1D-CE, and an L0D-CE, and have change left over.

Gator762

Enlightened
If battery cost is nagging you then you might want to pick up the Fenix L2D CE. The cost per use with AA rechargeables is almost free.

I just got a L1D CE. Quality is very good. I accidentally dropped it in the basement. It was off and there was a moment of dread as it's tile on a concrete floor. No marks and it still works. :D

xiaowenzu

Banned
savumaki said:
BOY oh boy, you reeaally have to love reverse clicky's to replace the L2.
IMHO, that's the reason I could never purchase a Fenix (or any other Chinese lights for that matter) :laughing:

Without momentary on, Reverse clicky is a big NO-NO.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
xiaowenzu said:
Here's a Fenix L2D on Turbo mode (left) against a Surefire L2.. (right) Keep in mind that turbo mode will drain the power very quickly though.
l2dnn7.jpg

FENIX ON LEFT.

Are you sure about that? If that was my beamshots then the one on the right would be my L2DCE and the one on the left would be the L2! I have done the very same comparison not that long ago.....

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
I would have also said thte same, the L2D has a tiighter hotspot, while the L2 is more floody/ not as bright (based on FLR's specs). The most obvious evidence that the L2D is the one on the right would be the tint, crees should be whiter than most lux's.

yekim

Enlightened
I have both and I have not replaced my L2 with my L2D. even though the hotspot is brighter, for some reason, the L2 does better lighting up a room, especially when doing the ceiling bounce. I also have a bit more faith in the durability of my L2 over the L2D ce. I also prefer the beam quality.

When running on high and turbo respectively, I get better runtime out of my Surefire.

Anyhow, The Fenix is a good light, but it has not been a replacement for me. I don't really care for all the modes and levels, it is just not my thing, I just want to turn the light on and have it be on with a click or two, and it is difficult for me to operate the Fenix with gloves on.

I wish to heck that fenix would come out with a clip to put on their lights.

txmatt

Enlightened