Anyone know what kind of LED is in this flashlight?

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys, can you guys ID the LED in this flashlight and whether if it is bright or not and about how much light it would put out at 1W?
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1388

And how do you think it would compare to this one as I already bought this one?
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1387

I already bought the latter of the two from DX and it shipped out a few days ago. I am thinking about buying the first mentioned light just to see how bright it is but some input would be greatly helped as I don't really need flashlights but have all of a sudden taken a interest in them.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
(oops).The second one uses a generic Chinese led. The Luxeon is probably brighter. But if you are willing to pay $10, the 1 AA Cree (Elite) is probabily the brightest 1 AA light they have on the site.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
First one's not a Luxeon, look at the shape of the base of the emitter, it's all wrong.

The second one is generic Chinese emitter I've been seeing often on low end samples lately. It's not very impressive or efficient.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Sorry, messed up again:ohgeez:. I need new glasses.

After looking at the picture again, I noticed my mistake.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would view either one of these as not particularly good in themselves, but potentially good candidates to be upgraded to Seoul/Cree since Seoul emitters/Cree Mini Stars go for $7.

The first one looks like a Luxeon. The second one uses a generic Chinese led. The Luxeon is probably brighter. But if you are willing to pay $10, the 1 AA Cree (Elite) is probabily the brightest 1 AA light they have on the site.
The Elite (upgraded Elly) is definitely going to be a big improvement over the other two except for the fact that it is quite bulky for a 1AA light. The original Elly that it's based on is not very useful, only about 20 lumens of very blue light. Upgrading to a Cree increases that to about 60 of clean white light from the same power! You end up with about three hours of runtime on a AA, which for a turnkey $10 light is not bad at all -- I'm going to give several away as gifts.

The brightest 1xAA is definitely the Rexlight at Kaidomain -- a much nicer light in every respect (multilevel electronic driver, able to run on LiIon, Hard Anodize, Antireflective coated lens) for $30.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I did get the $10 Cree from DX and have an original Elly with what appears to be the same LED as the second one. How bright do you think the first one would be though? I like the Elly's body and all but I am just trying to see if there's more lights available that is also a good deal.

Illum

Flashaholic
johnny13oi said:
anybody have any idea what the LED is in the first light?

regular lumiled dies are hexagon junctions mounted on a round silver reflector under the jelly dome, this ones square.
Luxeon's are 7.5mm from base to tip of dome, this ones looks about 4ish:ohgeez:
Luxeon's have single pair of bond wires, this one has two pairs

since its advertised as a 1 watt light, its possible that it is a two-die [2x0.5W] or possibly a smjled-type led

the closest result I can find that looks similar to the LED here is
http://www.lightch.com/bicycle/a/crops_x6.html

LumenHound said:
The LED in the second one looks like a 1 watt LED from Ningbo Zhaoyang Optoelectric Technology Co., Ltd.

Flashlightreviews first showed it in detail in this 1 watt 3 X AAA flashlight review.

the second light uses a "sapphire" led
see http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/amart_gnf-008.htm
note the copper ring on the outside of the emulsion cap

Last edited: