bFlex and Seouls in Parallel?

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
I think I know the answer, but thought I would pose the question to see if I can make my life easier. Any help is appreciated as always.

I purchased an Elektrolumens triple Seoul P4 Little Friend with the intention of using it with some modifications as a bike light. Here was my plan:
1) Shorten the body
2) solder in a bFlex
3) wire to an external battery pack such as BatterySpace 14.8V 5A

However, I tend to leap before I look and realized that the LEDs are wired in parallel. Knowing that the flashlight was designed for direct drive on 4AAA this wiring makes sense. However, If I want to run it from this battery and through a bFlex it seems like the potential differences in Vf could compromise this design.

Is this correct? or Can this set up drive these LEDs in parallel?

Do I need to rewire the LEDs in series and then continue as described above?

Thanks again. My Little Friend is suppose to arrive tomorrow so I would like to get the mod done this weekend.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The highest the Bflex will output is 1,000ma. If the LED`s are wired in parallel you could only get 1/3 of that output to each LED. Wired in series you could get as much as 1,000ma to each LED or any other level the Bflex offers. Still learning about all this convertor stuff but I think I am right about this???:grin2:

Ken

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you provide a link to which battery pack you are looking at, the type of cells and chemistry makes a little difference :)

Later
Kelly

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
Here is the battery pack:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2923

Description:

• High capacity Li-Ion battery 14.8V 4800mAh is made of 8pcs 2600 mAh 18650 Li-Ion cylindral cells, and packed by 4 series and 2 parallel (4S2P), with two PCB
  • The battery pack is wrapped by heavy duty heat shrink tube

Voltage Voltage: 14.8V (working) 16.8V ( peak) 11.0V ( cut-off) Capacity 5200 mAh min. (77 wh)Protection
  • One PCB (8A) installed with the battery pack and protects the battery from

• [*]Overcharge (>16.8V)
      [*]Overdischarge ( < 11.0 V)
      [*]Over drain ( > 8 Amp)
      [*]Short circuits
  • Two 7 Amp polyswitch installed to limit max. discharging current at 7A and to protect wrong polority

I sure appreciate the help.

ktronik

Enlightened
IMHO, Hook it up in series... :)

BUT make sure each led is 'slug' isolated first...put your meter on the + pin (LED), then the heatsink...their should be NO connection there...

Ktronik

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto...run them in series.

I think Wayne attached the emitters to the heat sink so you should be good to go, just do a few trial runs to make sure it's not getting too hot.

Later
Kelly

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
BatterySpace has me a little confused about the pack and PCB, I'm trying to read through their description and it sounds like the pack is made up of two packs of 4 wired in series with a PCB on each pack, then the packs are wired in parallel with another PCB to protect the pack as a whole.

In the past some of their descriptions have been a little confusing and contradictions are made depending on what page you are reading about the product so I would rather be safe than sorry.

Is this what you get or am I missing it all together?

Later
Kelly

ZipLED

Newly Enlightened
Sway said:
BatterySpace has me a little confused about the pack and PCB, I'm trying to read through their description and it sounds like the pack is made up of two packs of 4 wired in series with a PCB on each pack, then the packs are wired in parallel with another PCB to protect the pack as a whole.

In the past some of their descriptions have been a little confusing and contradictions are made depending on what page you are reading about the product so I would rather be safe than sorry.

Is this what you get or am I missing it all together?

Later
Kelly

Yeah, that's the way I read it too. I will get it on Thursday so I'll check it out to see if I can decipher it a little more.

Thanks so much for the thoughts and help. I will go with re-wiring them in series. Since I am using the bFlex, I might as well get full use of it and it's ability to drive the 3 Seouls at 1A. This battery should provide enough juice.