magcharger with wa 1183

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
how would a wa1183 work in a magcharger? it seems rated even higher than the wa1160 which i have in mine now. it's rated 4.7 volts instead of 5.0, and the bulb lumens are higher. meaning when driven at 6 volts it will be even brighter than expected. hmm...

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
jasonsmaglites said:
how would a wa1183 work in a magcharger? it seems rated even higher than the wa1160 which i have in mine now. it's rated 4.7 volts instead of 5.0, and the bulb lumens are higher. meaning when driven at 6 volts it will be even brighter than expected. hmm...

Don't even think to use WA1183 with 5 Ni cad or NiMH cells.
You can use 4 full size NiMH "D" and extension tube.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
jasonsmaglites said:
why can't it work. we overdrive everything else?

If he says don't even try it, I'm sure he's saving you from instantly flashing the bulb. Fivemega is aware of the wa1183. I had thought that it'd be a great choice for his 4AA 1D Mag, and brought one (wa1183) to his house to try. He had already told me that it wasn't going to be brighter than the custom axial he was using, but my head was telling me different. He was right, of course, it wasn't brighter. I'm sure he's already blown a few wa1183 in a Magcharger, so he knows.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
jasonsmaglites said:
why can't it work. we overdrive everything else?

If he says don't even try it, I'm sure he's saving you from instantly flashing the bulb. Fivemega is aware of the wa1183. I had thought that it'd be a great choice for his 4AA 1D Mag, and brought one (wa1183) to his house to try. He had already told me that it wasn't going to be brighter than the custom axial he was using, but my head was telling me different. He was right, of course, it wasn't brighter. I'm sure he's already blown a few wa1183 in a Magcharger, so he knows. Being that the wa1183 has such a high lumen rating when driven at spec, it probably means that it has a short, thin filament, not able to with stand an extra 2+ volts. (remember, hot off the charger, the 5 cell pack will be around 7v, or a little higher.)