LS2 (1W HD), LS3 (5W emitter at 2W) pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
As requested, here are some LSx pictures.

First, we have a beam shot comparison between a 1x123 LS2 and an E1. 12ft.

LS2vsE1.jpg

1x123 LS3 and an E1. Notice just how much of the room is visible with this wide beam. It will still be awhile, but the LEDs are slowly exceeding the incandescents. 12 ft.

LS3vsE1.jpg

LS3 vs the LS1. Notice the new design is smaller in diameter an adds a tail switch. The LS2 and LS3 have identical housings. The difference is the circuit and the LED. Therefore, the LS2 would look the same as the LS3 pictured here.

Rev1vsRev2.jpg

LS3 with a 2x123 pack (proto). This powers the LS3 at about 3 watts. Because of the higher voltage, this pack is not to be used with any other LS head except the LS3.

2x123vsRev1.jpg

And the LS3 with an old style 2AA pack. Except for the 1AA pack, the LS2 and LS3 will work with the old style power packs and vice versa.

rev2withrev12AA.jpg

Here's the difference between the beams of a 1x123 LS2 and a 1x123 LS3 at 5ft. Notice that the 5W white emitter produces a "star/nuclear symbol/flower/"X" pattern. Also notice the 5W is less blueish in tint. Both flashlights are being powered by identical 1x123 power packs.

LS2vsLS3.jpg

And finally, a picture from several months back when the LS3 circuit was being tested. Notice the 5W emitter, huge heatsink, special circuit built for us by Wayne to our specs, different size battery holders, leads for scope/logger, pyrometer for measuring relative die temp, etc.

rev2testing.jpg

Btw, a LS2 and LS3 hybrid is being sent to Roger (jollyroger) tomorrow for beta testing. He is not any normal tester, he has ordered in advance many LS2s and LS3s so this is also a "first article" for him. Feel free to ask Roger about his thoughts on the samples he is testing.

Peter Gransee

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Peter,

Thanks for the info and illumination.
We'll be sure to pick Jolly Roger clean. :)

- Don

Darell

Flashaholic
How was that again, Peter? "star/nuclear symbol/flower/"X" ?
grin.gif

I'm so glad you said this part: "Feel free to ask Roger about his thoughts on the samples he is testing." Because even beyond that, we're gonna mug him!

Cutter

Enlightened
Droooooool. Thanks for the pictures Peter.

Same question as Witsend. How solid is the tail switch?

Dan out

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the first beam shot I've seen of a white 5Watter.

Awesome.

I think JollyRoger is going to need a large first aid kit. (note to self: Bring 1st aid kit)

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roger *must* be fondling these lights now as he smugly reads theses posts only as a person in-the-know does....
smile.gif

I've seen a 5W white before used in a flashlight, but only in isolation (no other flashlight to compare) and in a well-lit room. PG's beamshots are pretty convincing in describing just how bright the LS3 will be, even when derated to only 2W! Just imagine cranking it up to 3W or that (hopefully, but hugely unlikely) turbo-boost mode to 5W!

I think I'd still buy both LS2 and LS3, just to thrill myself by switching back and forth between the lights and marvelling at the tech
smile.gif

leddite

Enlightened
NiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

simple questions of course are: when can i buy one in white, will it have 2 hour burn time with the 2AA battery tail-end pack, and can i buy a 2AA battery tail-end pack RIGHT NOW?

:>

d'mo

Enlightened
Peter,

Very Impressive! Thanks for the photos! Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the LS2/3 head with the current LS1 123 battery case attached (for size comparison with the LS1) and the custom nylon case you mentioned a while ago?

Thanks!
-d-

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questions!

The switch is a standard, "Kroll" (actually made by Streamlight) with a minor modification to deal with the body spring problem. Without the fix, I can get a switch to fail in about a week of heavy use. With the new spring, it has been going now for 2 weeks with no problem. Too soon to declare a victory but definately progress. We have different springs to try if the current one fails.

The spring induced symptoms are that the light flickers or does not stay on. It still works in momentary mode. Pressing sideways on the switch lever also can cause flickering.

Most people who have bought this switch for their mag light or streamlight JR (which it was intended) probally never noticed this problem. At least I have not heard anybody complain here on the CPF about it. But in our testing, we can consistantly make them fail in about a week's time.

The fix looks good so far. You can also use the RAM or any other switch designed for the Mag 2AA. Another option is to put the mag tail cap in place of the switch or just simply use an old style (no tail switch) Arc-LS power pack. We will be selling the old style power packs for another month or so.

Second question:

The LS2/3 head is about 75 thousandths of an inch longer than the LS1 head. So... with the old style power pack on both, they would be nearly identical in length. But, I will try to post a picture as you requested.

Third!

The nylon carry cases are going to be a suprise. No pics, you just got to see them for yourself.

Peter Gransee

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Nice stuff Peter, however that particular tail-switch design has to go. Too big and looks kinda..... well, stupid on the light. It looks out of place and extends to much length. Have you thought about hooking up with Inova for the design of their X5T tail-switch? It fits nice and flush.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
OK, I just got these beauties...and for "protos," they're, well...very impressive, to say the least. Peter has certainly come a long way in trying to evolve the luxeon-based flashlight into a better and closer-to-perfect product.

Too bad I'm at work right now...maybe I'll try to blind some of my co-workers? Hold on...

...OK, this one guy didn't like that, apparently.

Wayne, you got me fearing for my life now....hmmm...First Aid kit?

The Kroll switch, while some might think it's "ugly," is a very functional switch. It has a built in "momentary" feature, click on, and can be replaced very easily (by the user, too) in the event that it fails. It actually doesn't add too much to the length of the flashlight, considering that it is a momentary and click-on, click-off switch.

More details to come later....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Roger,

Take copious notes now...... when we are done assisting you in evaluations, ......... Oh, and Wayne thinks he's safe with the 5W green? You guys might want backup 1st aid. :)

Some guy in Seattle has posted a bounty; payment in insulators???????

I can read the headlines now: "Strange lights noticed in S.F. Bay area....."

d'mo

Enlightened
I'm not crazy about the looks of the Kroll switch or the extra length it adds either. Personally, I like the utility of the "loosen/tighten" method of swiching; there are no parts to break, nothing (except the o-ring) to compromise waterproofing, no increase in size, and improbable accidental activation.

So... I'm perfectly content with the size and functionality of the LS1 battery pack and fully prepared to use it on the LS2/3. However, I'm a bit concerned that the diameter of the LS1 123 battery pack will be larger diameter than the LS2/3 head. I want to make sure it doesn't look goofy.

JollyRoger

Enlightened
The head isn't so much smaller that it makes using the older packs "goofy." In addition, Peter may come out with a simple screw in cap to use on the newer packs so you don't have to use the Kroll switch...but we'll see.

Regarding the LS2, I really like the output of this thing. It's white (slightly bluish, but really just a very bright white, like in HID lamps) and very centered beam make this light perfect. The LS3 is another beast altogether. It's output is simply astonishing...

MarcV

Enlightened
If that's the same switch as on the Streamlight Scorpion, I'll take it.

The problem on the Scorpion is with accidental ON and the associated heat buildup and battery loss. It necessitates careful holster design, but the 123 LS is so small that pocket carry is customary and there should be no problem there.

If it is user changeable, maybe it can be user swappable for a dumb plug which converts the tail to a twist switch?

Cutter

Enlightened
Originally posted by this_is_nascar:
I'm very well familiar with the Kroll switch. On a MAG-AA it's OK. On a ARC-LS with the 123-cell pack, it looks terrible. Just my opinion.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmmm...at first, I thought the switch looked really strange as well.....but it's sort of growing on me now. If they can make it super reliable, I could live with it.

MY

Enlightened
I also think that the design of the switch goes against the aesthetics of the LS. I have seen many other switches that are basically flat with the base. Adding the length of the switch makes it about the same size as the single AA pack and thus not pocketable. Many people including me carry the LS/123 as a EDC. With the length of the new switch, pocketability is compromised.

Love the output though! Please give us more than 2-3 watts from the 5 watter.

Dimmer please. Others who share this need for a dimmer should remind Mr. PG of its necessity.
wink.gif

MarcV

Enlightened
I'm sorry to see that it'll come in a smaller diameter package. I'm ready to order one for my existing LS right now, and not just because this thing turns so hard it's childproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.