* Arc-AAA Standard Editions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, this is a general topic for anything related to the standard Arc-AAA colors. Please see the other threads for the special edition Arc-AAAs (LE, CPF, EV).

arcaaa.jpg

The standard Arc-AAA comes in a Type III anodized housing. The following LED colors are available:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Ultra Violet<LI>White <LI>Blue<LI>Turquoise<LI>Green<LI>Yellow<LI>Orange<LI>Red<LI>Infared[/list]

Currently, the Standard is available in a black finish color.

More information on each color can be found here.

Peter Gransee

Darell

Flashaholic
Great new threads Peter! This will make it much easier for us to find the info we need.

So, onto the thread at hand...
I think it's time for a new picture of the AAA. First off, a practiced eye can tell that it isn't HA III.
smile.gif

And second - when I first saw that picture (before finding the CPF or ever hearing of ARC) I thought the light was NOT cylindrical. The perspective of the shot makes the light seem slightly conical, and that turned me off a bit. My first LED light purchase, therefore, was an Infinity. I didn't know anything about the two products except for battery size and that the Infinity looked better to me in the picture.

Just something to consider. Since I have now owned five different versions of your fantastic AAA light, I can tell many differences between the light you have pictured and the latest version - at just a glance. But then, I'm not normal, so it might not be a big deal
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
a practiced eye can tell that it isn't HA III

...and to this reviewer`s eye, I can tell that`s the early Version 1.0 or possibly even a rare prototype.
grin.gif

The current ones, since v2.0, have finer knurling and the head has a band of knurling with thin un-knurled strips top and bottom.

grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Dig deeper Chris - there are a couple more developments since that shot was taken. A bigger shot would reveal more, of course. I never thought I'd be able to tell the HA finish from the standard so easily. I can tell mine apart even in very low light. There is somewhat of a mother-of-pearl effect on the HA finish that I really like.

And certainly many things about the knurling have changed. No question that the image is of a very early light.

For one other thing, the newer version would shine brighter in the picture.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
But then, I'm not normal, so it might not be a big deal
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And you felt you needed to make this statement, as if the regular readers wouldn't already know this????
jump.gif
Hey...you left me open. Couldn't pass it up. TX

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
And you felt you needed to make this statement, as if the regular readers wouldn't already know this????
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might be some new readers out there, and I didn't want to scare them off. I don't mind scaring off you regular weirdos though.

supertrucker

Newly Enlightened
Darrell, you are right about the ARC looking conical in that picture, I also bought an Infinity first because of this misperception.
Of course knowing what I do now I would have bought the ARC first
grin.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened
OK, Peter.

Fess up.

When and where will I be able to buy an ARC at a Brick & Mortar store??? Do you have any deals with any big chains???

Thanks.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be years if at all before you see an Arc flashlight in a discount chain store like Walmart.

However, you can already find Arc lights in some local knife and gun shops. About 20 so far and growing. I'll get a list of where they are, but most are in California.

Peter

Spork

Enlightened
are all the blitser pack versions 3.0? I want to order a new one from tts but they dont say what version arc they have.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blister packs are at least 2.5 and have the HA finish. Not many 2.5 units out there though, most are the newer 3.0s.

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered samples of the new Nichia Yellows (NSPY500S) today. Will build test flashlights to see if these are better than our current yellows.

Peter

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
Ordered samples of the new Nichia Yellows (NSPY500S) today. Will build test flashlights to see if these are better than our current yellows.

Peter
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nichia's yellow is a phosphor type LED, and the color is more of a true lemon yellow than that "fuggly" orangish sodium yellow normally seen in an LED. So it is a truly unique color. It is also a broad spectrum part, so it should render nighttime scenes a bit less harshly as well.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the beam profiles of the yellow Nichia LEDs on the LED Museum a while back- nice, very nice. I`d buy a Nichia-yellow Arc, definately. Gotta love that smooth beam.

smile.gif
tongue.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We just finished upgunning the red, orange and yellow LEDs with new, brighter/smoother Agilent parts. The reds and yellows are especially nice. This new Nichia part will have to be quite good to replace our current yellows. We'll know when they come in and you get the best.

Peter

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Nichia's yellow is a phosphor type LED, and the color is more of a true lemon yellow than that "fuggly" orangish sodium yellow normally seen in an LED. So it is a truly unique color. It is also a broad spectrum part, so it should render nighttime scenes a bit less harshly as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds interesting. Might have to get one.

Quick questions. Does this affect the light output? Does the latest red and orange use the same design?

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Peter,

You earlier posted that most of the brick & mortar retailers were in CA. If I'm out and about in SoCal this weekend and trying to spend the economy out of the recession, which stores should I visit?

Sport Chalet, Chick's, maybe REI, Adventure 16 or perhaps Sportmart? These are just guesses. I'll check out the displays, let you know how the products are featured, steer people in the "Arc" direction and resort to physical violence if necessary to make the sale.

I anxiously await your response with money in hand and a full tank of gas.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is going to sound really stupid.. But I can not find a list of the retailers and our rep is out of town right now. I remember that they are in a bunch of knife shops ("20 or 30") in the SF bay area.

I know.. Lotta help I've been.

Oh, Triple Aught also has them in their Oakland store.

Directions to their store...

Gordon's Easy Trails will have stock soon and he's at:

515 W. Commonwealth #105
Fullerton, CA. 92832

Peter Gransee

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluegreen:
This sounds interesting. Might have to get one.

Quick questions. Does this affect the light output? Does the latest red and orange use the same design?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only the yellow NSPY500BS from Nichia comes like this. To my knowledge, there are no high-brightness red or orange phosphor-based LEDs currently in production.

I don't know where my sample of this LED is right at the moment, but if I remember the brightness was respectable for a phosphor type lamp. My photometric equipment was unavailable for use when I got this LED (I think I was waiting for a replacement part?), so I don't believe I have a brightness measurement yet.

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
Only the yellow NSPY500BS from Nichia comes like this. To my knowledge, there are no high-brightness red or orange phosphor-based LEDs currently in production.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of curiosity, why would this be used for a monochromatic LED? Just for a better or different colour? Or smoother beam?

If you have the time to do a measurement and comparison that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.