Have a P1D-CE should I get an L2D-CE too?

Benjammin22250

Newly Enlightened
I am only 19 but have been collecting flashlights and lurking around here and all the other flashlight places for a long time. I just don't post much and this is my first thread. Anyway's I was just wandering if I should get a L2D-CE even though I already have a P1D-CE, or should I just save my money and wait till they come out with a flashlight with a better LED in a few months.

daveman

Enlightened
Hello Ben, I believe you're right on the mark when you say that you should just save your money and wait for the next advancement of LED that's due ~the end of the year.

Even though the Fenix L2D CE is by far THE BEST utility light for sale right now, if you're not in need of such an excellent light at the moment, why not just enjoy your P1D CE and wait the upgrade in LED that should be due soon?

Just for your info, the L2D CE on 2 lithium AAs put out ~120 lumens out the front on its highest level, maintains that output for ~120 minutes of solid regulation. On alkaline AAs, it's about 50 minutes before it drops to zero.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
In terms of output, the PID CE is pretty good, but the L2D has a much longer runtime. I suppose you could wait for a surefire if you wanted to go really high end, but reading that you're on probably on a tighter budget, the L2D would be great for runtime, ease of use, and brightness .

A word of caution though, don't expect the finish to be like a surefire or arc, it holds up ok, but is not quite as durable.

The L2D I would presume would be slightly more versatile, since you could get a 1aa tube to go along with it and use a single cell. There's also the Rexlight with is the whole package but I'm not sure about hte quality as it isn't even out yet.

I would just say wait it out (but that's just me)
Hoped that helped.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Ben:)

When you have a need for it and you like it.....why not?:)

But since you own the P1D-CE, I would wait a bit, there will be more nice lights appear soon.:whistle:

Best regards

_____
Tom

LowTEC

Enlightened
I have both L1D-CE and P1D-CE, to be honest, I don't need both of them since they have the same potential performance and beam pattern given both running with Li-Ion. The only difference is clickie vs size.

my 2 lumens

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Benjamin,

I agree with the rest of the guys, if you're on a tight budget, there is no point in buying the L2D CE. There are a couple of advantages over your P1D CE, longer runtime, easier UI, rear clicky and runs on AAs. But IMHO they dont add up to justify buying a new light, since you allready got the P1D CE, which is very similar, and not to mention smaller. Better to save your money to see what comes next, and it seems it dont take long nowadays.
And welcome to the forum, hope you stay a while and enjoy it. And as always, watch your wallet! :)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is some logic to having both lights, though.

the P1D CE is a kind of a very nice EDC, smaller and lighter so you can have it with you. It also uses more expensive batteries (at least if you go with primaries).

the L2D CE on the other hand is more of a utility light, can be used indoors and outdoors (say on a hike) and will use cheaper batteries. Also longer runtime. If used indoors with NiMH's, where you can have the luxury of planning your recharging routine (easier than for an EDC running on 123A's) runtime costs drop even more.

not sure what the great new LED's to come our by year's end will be, of course technology marches on, but I think the current crop of output/runtime combinations based on the CREE XR-E LED is already quite awesome.

probably even if you were to buy the latest and greatest next year, you'd still be using the P1D CE and L2D CE's.

txmatt

Enlightened
Another option if you don't already have some would be a charger and a couple RCR123's. Although not as convenient as the long runtime of the L2D CE, carrying a spare battery or two could provide similar runtime from the P1D CE and be "free" electrons.

Gator762

Enlightened
Good question.

Money-wise, you'll probably better off investing in rechargeables for you P1D CE.

Murphy-wise, if you camp often you may want the extra light. Of course that sounds unnecessary since you say you've been collecting lights.

Benjammin22250

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to wait for the next big LED's to come out. I have 40 other flashlights to tide me over till then I guess.

And I've always wanted something HID.......:grin2:

gunga

Flashaholic
40?!

You're 19 and you have 40?! Wow, I am hitting around 10 (if you include the old and junky crap) and I thought I had too many...

Yeah, wait till the next big thing.

Benjammin22250

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I have been collecting flashlights since I was about 10. I have about 40 right now. I've owned more than that but I've lost some of them.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am better off with one new flashlight in my hands and regretting the money spent than still with the money in my pocket and panting after a new light.

Besides one can always start saving the money tomorrow.....for one new light....:naughty: