visual difference between lumiled 1 vs. 3

photorob

Enlightened
So I have a pile of leds laying around and over time with all these soel and cree modding they have piled up. I've come into a dilemma now though. How can you tell the diffence between the lux 1 vs. the lux 3's.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
For red/red-orange/amber: The Lux III has a visibly larger die (the chip inside)

For all others:

Batwing (low dome) emitters are only Lux I

Lambertian (high dome) and side emitters: For emitters made as emitters (not freed from a star board), there is absolutely no way whatsoever to differentiate a Lux I from a Lux III emitter. Niether physically or electrically. A lux I and lux III emitter are physically identical, and you can't discern them through any electrical test either.

If an emitter has fat power leads, then it is a Lux III that has been freed from a star board.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, run 1.5amp at 3.5v on all the luxeons.

those who survive are luxIII and those who didn't are luxI.

am i smart or what :p

photorob

Enlightened
I did notice that the bottom of the leds did have a noticeable difference. Some of them have oval bottoms, some have round. I just don't know what that means.

ginaz

Enlightened
are we talking stars or emitters? i seem to recall lux 3 stars being somewhat thicker than lux 1's.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
photorob said:
I did notice that the bottom of the leds did have a noticeable difference. Some of them have oval bottoms, some have round. I just don't know what that means.

The round slugs are a new design elment - they are appearing across all luxeon I/III/V products. There's no distinction there

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
chesterqw said:

Somewhat
nana.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
chesterqw said:

Unfortunately, that won't work either. LuxI and LuxIII emitters are probably exactly the same. Some are binned and sold as LuxI and some are binned and sold as LuxIII.

There was a time in the past that the LuxI had an aluminum slug while the LuxIII had a copper one. That gave a heat dissipation advantage to the LuxIII. Today the emitters sold as LuxI also have copper slugs, so no difference.

Lux1 stars do have a thinner MCPCB than LuxIII stars, but still the emitters themselves are essentialy the same.