Surefire A2 Add-on... Would you buy it? **UPDATE - Product Launch Announced!!**

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Let's say that someone could produce this product for a Surefire A2 Aviator. Would you buy it?

A drop-in LED ring with 2 white THC3 LEDs and 1 Red THC3 LED. Either the White+Red LEDs all light at once, or just the Red LED. Selection of which of the two modes is done by pressing the tailcap and releasing in under 1 Sec. If the tailcap is held for more than 1 Sec., the mode does not change and the flashlight will continue to operate in the same mode (red or red+white) the next time it turns on. Basically, a fast press of the tailcap switch will toggle between the two modes. The module will remember what mode it is in even if the flashlight has the batteries removed.

This would give you the benefit of having white LED's for color rendition, along with a single Red LED for preserving night vision for reading, hallways at night, etc.

I am an electrical engineer and machinist. I believe that using current technology, including a microcontroller that recently became available, I could produce the above product. I'm definitely planning on attempting a prototype of this device in the next few weeks.

My target sale price will be somewhere around $50, but could be less expensive if I sell enough of them.

Looking forward to replies and input!
Bawko

EDIT: Posted update on post #63, first prototypes in-hand!
EDIT: Posted update on post #157, first A2 modified and functioning!
EDIT: Posted update on post #253, project update!
EDIT: Product Launch Announced! See: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=162090

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Re: Surefire A2 Add-on... Would you buy it?

Bawko, do you need an A2 to test it on? :lolsign: I couldn't help noticing you recent buying spree!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

Glen C said:
Bawko, do you need an A2 to test it on? :lolsign: I couldn't help noticing you recent buying spree!

The recent buying spree is actually partly related to this design... I'll need a few A2's to test the prototypes on.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would I buy it? Provided it worked well and was pretty simple to use/retrofit, yes.

I would also like to see a simple drop-in replacement ring for the A2 using some high quality new(er) technology LEDs. Perhaps two versions, one with a smooth flood and one with some bright but smooth throw. For the throw I was thinking of the LED type that is found in the Photon Max keychain lights.

I like my A2 but the LED be just isn't smooth enough for a lot of the close up work I do so I go for my L1 instead.

BTW, if you do need some beta testers I would be more than happy to help out. :)

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk

Interesting... I'll be staying tuned to this thread!

:popcorn:

- Chris

mahoney

Enlightened

I'd be interested in a version with all white LEDs and the same functionality, preferably with brighter and less blue LEDs than the stock ones. A lower "low" in white would be more usefull to me than the red would be.

cbdudley

Enlightened

I'm definitely interested.

I'll volunteer to be a prototype tester!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

mahoney said:
I'd be interested in a version with all white LEDs and the same functionality, preferably with brighter and less blue LEDs than the stock ones. A lower "low" in white would be more usefull to me than the red would be.

Yes. This would also be a possibility - along with any other 2-color combination. Red/Blue for hunters, IR/Green for night vision users, UV/White for gadget freaks, etc. etc. etc.

Basically, there will be 1 dim color that will stay on all the time (like the Red in my initial post) and another (Brighter) color that will be selectable on/off in the 2nd mode. I've thought about a 3-mode version too... with color1, color2, or color1+color2, but I don't want to make the user interface very complicated. Once I have the PCBoard designed, I'll be able to do just about anything with software (including flashing modes, etc.) - but I'm going for the initial 2-color Red/White prototype first.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interested. I find the red LED in the LRI Proton useful, though a two level white setup would be interesting too. I would hope there's enough quantity to get it down to less than $50 though.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

TORCH_BOY said:
Would I buy it, the answer is no

OK... that's fine. I would like to know why though... would you like different features? Lower price? Maybe different LED colors?

I'm trying to get some feedback as to what people would like along these lines - I'm willing to make some changes to the basic design if it will result in something that people would like better. If your answer is "No" like TORCH_BOY, please indicate what would keep you from buying it.

Thanks, and best wishes!
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic

Very interesting idea. I would definitely buy this (but you knew I would, didn't you!)

With the 5 stock colors plus UV and IR, that makes a total of 28 possible combinations if my math is right. Confess, AC: it's just an excuse for you to get more A2s, isn't it??!!

Another possibility might be for the 3 LEDs to be red, green and blue, each selectable – and with all 3 on, that would give you white too. Maybe that is getting into Kroma territory, but why not?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

DM51 said:
Very interesting idea. I would definitely buy this (but you knew I would, didn't you!)

With the 5 stock colors plus UV and IR, that makes a total of 28 possible combinations if my math is right. Confess, AC: it's just an excuse for you to get more A2s, isn't it??!!

Another possibility might be for the 3 LEDs to be red, green and blue, each selectable – and with all 3 on, that would give you white too. Maybe that is getting into Kroma territory, but why not?

It's more than an idea at this point. 15 minutes ago, I completed the circuit board CAD artwork for the first implementation. I'll be sending the files to the circuit board manufacturer early next week, and have prototype circuit boards in my hands by the end of next week. I will need to do a few days of software engineering and testing on a breadboard before I program and solder the VERY tiny microcontrollers onto the boards - and there will probably be some minor mechanical adjustments before the first prototype is up and operational - possibly requiring another revision of circuit board artwork. Worst case, I project that this will be in a produceable and sellable form by the end of April, best case it'll be finished and marketable by April 15.

I see no reason that I could not extend the software to a 3-LED independant version like you suggest... but my main concern is that the brightness of only one LED being lit at a time will limit it's utility. Also, mixtures of red, green, and blue in order to produce white have not historically proven to be very good at the task - you will end up with small blotches of pseudo-white intermixed with several coronas of the primary colors unless the emitters are aligned PERFECTLY - a task that is nearly impossible considering the mechanical alignment of the A2.

I think that my primary focus at this point will remain as a 1-red, 2-white LED configuration - with a 2 level white-only version being offered as an option. If this takes off and people like it, I'll offer other color combinations, and I'll entertain options such as a flashing or 3-stage (color1/color2/color1+color2) variation.

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic

You move fast!

I thought that might be the case with RGB. There's another thread about it somewhere, with people saying it is pretty difficult to achieve. I agree 1R + 2W would probably be the most useful combo.

Will this be a pure drop-in with new LED ring and circuitry, or will you have to mod the tailcap switch too?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

DM51 said:
You move fast!

I thought that might be the case with RGB. There's another thread about it somewhere, with people saying it is pretty difficult to achieve. I agree 1R + 2W would probably be the most useful combo.

Will this be a pure drop-in with new LED ring and circuitry, or will you have to mod the tailcap switch too?

Just a drop-in LED ring... remove the old one by loosening the 3 philips screws, pull old ring out, put the mod ring in place, replace and tighten screws, and you'll be up and running. No tailcap mod required, the ring works by measuring the amount of time it has power, with the microcontroller updating it's EEPROM memory with the state it should default to the next time the light goes on - based on how long it had power during this cycle. My goal here is easy changeover, and NO modification of any existing A2 parts - so you can always go back to the factory configuration if you want to. I'm amazed that Surefire hasn't marketed something like this - it isn't rocket science, and I'm sure they would sell a LOT of them! Of course... they haven't even gotten around to selling spare LED rings in their stock configuration, so it probably has more to do with wanting to sell more complete flashlights than any desire to go after the aftermarket that they've created with already existing sales.

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic

That is brilliant - extremely clever! I'm in for at least 2 - one 2W1R, one 2W1YG.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

AC, sounds like a fantastic idea! I would buy at least one, probably two. My preference would be for the LEDs to be as smooth and floody as possible. Also, I use Li-ions in one of my A2's, would this ring be compatable with the higher voltage?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

leukos said:
AC, sounds like a fantastic idea! I would buy at least one, probably two. My preference would be for the LEDs to be as smooth and floody as possible. Also, I use Li-ions in one of my A2's, would this ring be compatable with the higher voltage?

What is the maximum voltage the Li-ions deliver? The circuit I've designed should handle up to about 7.5 volts, but any more than that could cause problems.

Best wishes,
Bawko

GreySave

Enlightened

<< so it probably has more to do with wanting to sell more complete flashlights than any desire to go after the aftermarket that they've created with already existing sales. >>

I would have to agree. I actually did e-mail them this week asking if any replacement parts were available, such as a complete head. I was told they do not sell them seperately. The problem is that I cannot justify buying another A2 simply for the second color (Due to the expense).

That being said, I would be interested in both a three white (improved color) and possibly a two white / one red if the red is bright and floody enough to be useful.

cslinger

Enlightened

Please take this is my own personal opinion and constructive criticism only. This is no flame.

That being said, I would not buy this. It seems to me that it is a very complex likely to be reasonably costly solution to a problem then can be solved with a $5 filter or filters over a white LED version. I think it makes a brilliantly simple product like the A2 more complex, which is not always a good thing.

I think it is a great IDEA but I don't think the application is worth it. I would not have a use for this.

Again please don't feel as if I am flaming the idea or saying it is stupid or anything like that. I am the last person to say anybody's ideas are stupid. I just wanted to give you my honest feedback based on my own personal opinions and needs.

Take care,
Chris